Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2012, 04:36 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
yet a hetero married couple, the widowed spouse would not have to pay a dime.
So instead of changing the definition of marriage - why don't we get government out of the marriage business and have the "hetero"( which I would just call married) couple pay the same amount of money?

These people were "together" for 40 years - shouldn't they have been paying that money all along?

$300,000/40 = 7500.

I keep hearing that gay people are more "affluent" then people who don't choose that lifestyle - so $7500/yr should be a drop in the bucket - right?

It sure would be a big hole in my budget.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oy vey.
What is the problem? Sure it is a slippery slope argument - but some SSA's are valid - such as this one. If we allow homosexual marriage - then where do we stop?

Marriage is defined because it is the foundation for a family - which is the basic building block of our society. When you erode the foundation you damage the entire building and eventually it all comes 'tumblin down" like the walls of Jericho.

Why can't I marry my cat?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
If they had visited a competent financial planner prior to her death, they could have made appropriate arrangements to lessen the tax burden. If people have assets, it is up to them to protect them the best that they can. Otherwise, they must pay estate taxes. What's so hard about that?

20yrsinBranson
Why do we have to pay to protect ourselves when there are already laws and protections out there called civil marriage for just a minimal fee? Why do we have to hire a lawyer at a high cost to get only a few protections. None of which will stop the federal government from taxing our property upon ones partners death to the point of not being able to afford it. That is not the case for straight married couples. !049 federally granted rights are at their disposal for $85 in California. This is unfair and biased.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:41 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
If they had visited a competent financial planner prior to her death, they could have made appropriate arrangements to lessen the tax burden. If people have assets, it is up to them to protect them the best that they can. Otherwise, they must pay estate taxes. What's so hard about that?
What is so hard to understand that NONE of those financial burdens would be in place for a heterosexual married couple? That's where the inequality is.

Why should a gay married couple have to spend thousands of dollars in lawyer fees to draft up documents that would lessen that tax burden, when a heterosexual couple do not need to do so, for the simple fact that they are married?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:42 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I never boast about "intellectual prowess" - that is not my style.

Likely you are referring to the many times where I have to defend myself against unfounded and presumptive attacks by liberals who assume that I must be an ignorant, uneducated savage just because I am a Republican.

So I am damned if I don't respond and accused of boasting when I do.

How convenient.
If the shoe fits, my dear......

Quote:
I didn't insult where you lived - I used your own term for your hometown.

Sheez - are you one of those women who wears a short top that shows skin on the lower part of your abdomen - and then gets angry when men look at you?
Do I LOOK like someone that would wear that?

Quote:
The children of whom you are the guardian most certainly deserve a better living arrangement then the one that you have forced upon them.
This is, without a doubt, the most contemptible thing I have ever heard you say.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:43 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
What is the problem? Sure it is a slippery slope argument - but some SSA's are valid - such as this one. If we allow homosexual marriage - then where do we stop?

Marriage is defined because it is the foundation for a family - which is the basic building block of our society. When you erode the foundation you damage the entire building and eventually it all comes 'tumblin down" like the walls of Jericho.

The foundation of straight marriage is damaged by the outrageous divorce rate you guys have encurred. Well over 50% of you divorce and then turn around and remarry, and often in a church.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:44 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:

Does your cat have the intellect to understand, not to mention the opposing digit, necessary to sign the marriage license?
Oh, and the only reason that poor cat doesnt run off is because you feed it.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson
How about the simplest answer - equal treatment under the law as required by the Constitution?

And what about the many legal rights gay couples are denied that cannot in anyway whatsoever be obtained by other "appropriate arrangements"?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oh, and the only reason that poor cat doesnt run off is because you feed it.
My cat is perfectly capable of feeding herself if she had to, thank you very much.

If we got married, she could be the hunter and I would be the cook!

Old 10-24-2012, 05:06 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And people still haven't learned you can't claim exclusive ownership of an english word.

You also can't change the meaning of a word to suit your own agenda.

Two guys is still a perverted and disgusting crime against nature, even if they both wear white at the wedding.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-25-2012 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: gross
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies