Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 07:30 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, obviously GZ was not being beaten with deadly force. He's alive! And his injuries do not support that he would have been killed if he hadn't killed Trayvon. He did not require hospitalization, or even medical attention.
Deadly force doesn't require the person to die...

A punch to the face can be deadly force.

Florida Statute

776.06 Deadly force -
(1)The term "deadly force" means force that is likely to cause death or great bodily harm and includes, but is not limited to...

Deadly force does not require death.

Beating someone's head in does cause great bodily harm...

Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Link?

Lol I love how you went back and added the above sentence while I was getting ready to respond to the first part.

I think that's called Covering Your Ass. Hahaha...

But that aside, can you please provide a link to support that 1) the witness changed his/her statement and 2) that it is written somewhere that if a witness does changes his/her statement, their first statement carries the most weight.
In fact attorneys take depositions for that very reason, to get a witness under oath, ask them questions, to see if what they have to say has changed from any previous statement. That opens the door to destroy the credibility of that witness at the trial. Some people just don't know what they're talking about when they say that if there is a change in the witness' story, the FIRST statement carries more weight!!! If there is a change, NEITHER statement carries much weight.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Link?

Lol I love how you went back and added the above sentence while I was getting ready to respond to the first part.

I think that's called Covering Your Ass. Hahaha...

But that aside, can you please provide a link to support that 1) the witness changed his/her statement and 2) that it is written somewhere that if a witness does changes his/her statement, their first statement carries the most weight.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/22/us...ting.html?_r=0

"Several witnesses said they saw Mr. Martin on top of Mr. Zimmerman. On the police videotape that showed Mr. Zimmerman re-enacting the crime, Mr. Zimmerman’s injuries - two bandages on the back of his head and a broken nose - are obvious."

Like I said...

Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,930 times
Anyone know the weight difference between these two gentlemen?

Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Deadly force doesn't require the person to die...

A punch to the face can be deadly force.

Florida Statute

776.06 Deadly force -
(1)The term "deadly force" means force that is likely to cause death or great bodily harm and includes, but is not limited to...

Deadly force does not require death.

Beating someone's head in does cause great bodily harm...
Fortunately no one "beat Zimmerman's head in"......Zimmerman sustained a bloody nose and a few scratches on the back of his head. If someone had "beat his head in" mostly likely he would have had to go to the hospital.

How about citing some case law to support your contention that the injuries zimmerman sustained were from deadly force?

Old 02-03-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
In fact attorneys take depositions for that very reason, to get a witness under oath, ask them questions, to see if what they have to say has changed from any previous statement. That opens the door to destroy the credibility of that witness at the trial. Some people just don't know what they're talking about when they say that if there is a change in the witness' story, the FIRST statement carries more weight!!! If there is a change, NEITHER statement carries much weight.
Wrong.

If there is a change most reasonable people, and jurors, will assume the memory fogged over time...

That's also why police take written and recorded statements.

Even if all the witnesses are held as unreliable that leaves Zimmerman's story which cannot be refuted.

No forensic evidence can refutr his story.

The trajectory of the gun shot and closeness of it will corroborate his story.

The documented injuries corroborate his story.

The police BELIEVED him which corroborates his story.

The initial witness statements corroborate his story.

Am I forgetting something? Nope...

Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^What do you do in health care?
I'm a was an ER RN for about 4 years but now I've been doing informatics since I received my BSEE.

Re: Deadly force

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012/nov/30/jury-deliberates-fate-man-accused-1-punch-death/

Man found guilty of involuntary man slaughter from 1 punch death...

Hitting someone in the head IS deadly force...

Game. Set. Match...

Old 02-03-2013, 07:45 PM

More...

St. Cloud Man Dies After Injuries From Punch « CBS Minnesota

Southbridge man punched at VFW dies - Boston News, New England News, WHDH-TV 7NEWS WHDH.COM

Man punched to death for urinating on himself - Emirates 24/7

http://articles.timesofindia.indiati..._girl-hema-ipc

http://www.london24.com/news/man_pun...dies_1_1735661

I can do this ALL day...

Some of these guys were punched ONCE.

So based off of initial witness testimony, Zimmerman's documented facial and head injuries and a quick Google search I have unequivocally established deadly force and laid out an argument for self defense.

And I'm not even a lawyer...

Old 02-03-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
The trial notwithstanding, the photos and witness statements establish deadly force...

Which is why the cops didn't arrest him right away. We all know how cops just let murder suspects walk when evidence suggests they are guilty.

Since you "work" in the legal field you should know that beating someone in the head qualifies as deadly force.

As someone that works in the healthcare field I know that it is absolutely true.
You're reading old news reports. Try checking out the online court file. Try reading depositions taken of witnesses. Try getting up to speed on what's happened in this case.

Again, can you cite any case law to support your assertion that what happened to Zimmerman was a "beating with deadly force"? Can you cite any cases where something similar happened and it was determined that that was deadly force?

Old 02-03-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
You're reading old news reports. Try checking out the online court file. Try reading depositions taken of witnesses. Try getting up to speed on what's happened in this case.

Again, can you cite any case law to support your assertion that what happened to Zimmerman was a "beating with deadly force"? Can you cite any cases where something similar happened and it was determined that that was deadly force?
I just posted several articles where people where charged in the deaths of people they punched once. In a fight...

Lolol

Florida Statute

776.012 Use of force in defense of person.—A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other’s imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat if:
(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony; or
(2) Under those circumstances permitted pursuant to s. 776.013.

Two punches in the chest and a shove. Not guilty...

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...cle1233132.ece

Whitlock said Ramirez threatened "to show me what they do to people like me in prison," then hit him in the chest with his forearms twice and shoved him in the back when the older man turned.

"I wasn't going to stand there and let someone beat me to a pulp," said Whitlock, who has a concealed weapon permit.

He pulled his Glock from his front pocket, warned Ramirez to back off, then shot him when he kept on coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.