Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:29 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times

Advertisements

Screw him. You Catholics need to learn that God does not need a middleman.

[MOD CUT/off topic]

The guy is an idiot. Forgive him, but don't obey him, unless that is what you want to do in your own heart.

[MOD CUT/off topic]

Old 10-27-2012, 10:36 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Go to www.ewtn.com or www.catholic.com to learn more.

Yes there are definitely non-negotiables when voting. Gay marriage & abortion are non-negotiables. Vote for the person who will do the least harm when it comes to these two issues.

We must support life from the beginning of conception until natural death and also support the family like God created it. One man and one woman.
If you believe in god then you know he loves all his children regardless....

Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
If you believe in god then you know he loves all his children regardless....
Of course He does but He doesn't always love what we do. That is why we have the ten commandants in the first place.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:42 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,395,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Go to www.ewtn.com or www.catholic.com to learn more.

Yes there are definitely non-negotiables when voting. Gay marriage & abortion are non-negotiables. Vote for the person who will do the least harm when it comes to these two issues.

We must support life from the beginning of conception until natural death and also support the family like God created it. One man and one woman.
So. Let me get this straight. Gay marriage & abortion are non-negotiables, but ending food aid to impoverished pregnant women and infants is totally doable, in good conscience, and not at all a non-negotiable moral issue...right

Old 10-27-2012, 10:45 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,027,378 times
the bishop is out of line. separation of church and state. he can remind you in a sermon of the teachings of the church. he should not tell you how to vote. many catholics do things the church doesn't endorse, such as use birth control, say the lord's name in vain. vote what you believe and feel is right for you.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:49 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
the bishop is out of line. separation of church and state. he can remind you in a sermon of the teachings of the church. he should not tell you how to vote. many catholics do things the church doesn't endorse, such as use birth control, say the lord's name in vain. vote what you believe and feel is right for you.
Separation of church and state? LOL! The Bishop ain't running for political office outside of the church.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:50 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,138,315 times
I hate to point this out again ( I have no stance on the right or wrong of any of this), but, the only
thing the Bishop did wrong (according to his vows) is to write the letter. He should NOT get political,
but, he has got to follow Catholic law. This is nothing new. Why do you think illegal aliens always run
to Roman Catholic churches to hide from ICE ? The Church has got to take them in. You just can't change 2000 years of history.

You do have 1 big option though, change religion's.

Last edited by jjwebbster; 10-27-2012 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: add word

Old 10-27-2012, 10:57 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm a Catholic. Was born a Catholic. I'm also a Democrat and always will be. I got a letter from my Bishop telling me that voting no on the gay marriage amendment will put my soul in danger. It also stated that voting for candidates that support evil ideas like abortion and gay marriage also puts my soul in danger.

Are there any other Catholic Democrats struggling with this out there? In all my years, I have never had it spelled out so clearly by the church as this letter.
Find another parish under a different diocese.

Or you could come to my parish where it's all liberal all the time.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:20 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm a Catholic. Was born a Catholic. I'm also a Democrat and always will be. I got a letter from my Bishop telling me that voting no on the gay marriage amendment will put my soul in danger. It also stated that voting for candidates that support evil ideas like abortion and gay marriage also puts my soul in danger.

Are there any other Catholic Democrats struggling with this out there? In all my years, I have never had it spelled out so clearly by the church as this letter.
The pastor at my parent's Catholic church sends out missives like this in the weekly bulletin on a fairly regular basis. It's abhorrent, and it used to tick my folks off royally. But they're in their 80s and the Catholic church is all they've known, and they live in an area where this church is the only one for miles.

Their solution is to throw the letters away unread and follow their own conscience (which leads them to vote for Obama ). I disagree heartily with what both their pastor and your bishop are doing--they are definitely crossing the line--but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if many people are doing the same thing that my parents are, and simply disregarding these missives and voting the way they think is best in keeping with their faith.

I know for certain my parents believe the president is more Christian in words and deeds than Romney, so they have no fear for their souls. You should follow your heart, PullMyFinger, and vote for whoever it tells you is the right choice. If you are sincere in your choice, then a truly loving God will love you no matter who you vote for.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:37 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
So. Let me get this straight. Gay marriage & abortion are non-negotiables, but ending food aid to impoverished pregnant women and infants is totally doable, in good conscience, and not at all a non-negotiable moral issue...right
Don't know what you are talking about here. ?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies