Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:43 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I really like my eye in the sky thing with you...... You probably know i am no lefty, but that's ok.. i wish you could get up a map as i don't know these areas..

I do have google earth but it's not live.

You are ok right? water food and sheltered ok?
yes, thanks. I'm on the nj side about 30min from manhattan. some stores are open here as well so actually got some more groceries today. intermittent power but plenty of cell batteries
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No, these are people living in the city, in apartments that lost electricity and I think water.
but they can walk or take a short bus ride a few blocks north and theres shelters and everything is open.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
don't forget we have the big 0 commander and chef still in office, every body will eat tonight..

just think 4 more years everybody will be eating chef boyardee..

Old 11-01-2012, 07:47 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Eat some frigging snickers and calm down. Jeez. As over weight as we are as a country we have at least 2-3 weeks before panic should set it. Hell New York is confident enough to have the Marathon on Sunday as scheduled.
What they did not tell you was the marathon on Sunday will be one way - out of town.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
The damage is very bad here in NJ but these people downtown can easily walk uptown (or take a bus) where there are services and shelter. They're not trapped. So I don't quite understand this desperation of theirs.
Thanks for explaining, leave it to the press to not show the entire situation.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Here's something ironic. These are heavy den states and they want less government so they can get back to normal quicker.
How's that for a hoot.

Waive regulations, buy gas from out of state and bring it in, etc.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
don't fret!!! mayor bloom barf says "the new york marathon will be on though"!! all the runners can tour staten islands dead bodies and devastation while jogging through it.. americas priorities are so skewed.. what a great country!! and let the games begin...
The marathon starts in Staten Island - and almost immediately goes over the bridge to Brooklyn.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Here's something ironic. These are heavy den states and they want less government so they can get back to normal quicker.
How's that for a hoot.

Waive regulations, buy gas from out of state and bring it in, etc.
they have been temporarily waived. the issue is no electricity to run pumps

Old 11-01-2012, 08:06 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
As far as them not being prepared, I think a lot of them didn't think it was going to be that bad. I saw a clip on the local news of a lady packing up her kids to leave. But while watching the nyc webcams that afternoon/night you could clearly see people walking around like nothing was happening.
This is what I call the Irene effect. Tropical Storm Irene made DIRECT landfall in Brooklyn, and there was absolutely nothing tropical or storm about it in the city. It was just another drizzly, windy day. So most people, me included, thought Sandy was another hyped up storm.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Newtoli, it's not as easy as just getting on the bus. The buses are jam packed, and you have people shoving and pushing each other off the buses. It's savage. So imagine all the people from the LES/East Village boarding a pack bus filled with irate and angry passengers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies