Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the dissolution of the United States?
I lean conservative, and I actually find the idea interesting. 35 22.88%
I lean conservative, and I am 100% against the idea. Period. 36 23.53%
I lean liberal, and I find the idea kind of interesting. 30 19.61%
I lean liberal, and I am 100% against the idea. Period. 52 33.99%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:18 AM

912 posts, read 1,332,202 times

Advertisements

Where is the option that says ," I am neither party and I am for/against the idea" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
The break-up of the nation into smaller nations probably will never grow popular. However, I think the pressure to re-organize the states will increase, along with more state's rights.

The idea of developing more sensible boundaries for the states has always been a part of the country. Texas was admitted to the Union only if it had the right to break up into as many as 4 smaller states. The idea has come and gone repeatedly.

(1) Cincinnati would probably be more comfortable as part of Kentucky
(2) Western Pennsylvania and Western New York are related.
(3) New Jersey has never made much sense. It would be better off split between it's two extra-state urban areas.
(4) California and Texas should be split

In general the idea of four states having a third of the population is simply dumb. Virtually no major country in the world does not have national recognition for it's major metropolis. New York City, Long Island, and Hudson County NJ should be a state.

Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post

(1) Cincinnati would probably be more comfortable as part of Kentucky
Kentucky probably doesn't want Cincinnati. Heck, as it is, more than half the state would like Louisville to defect to Indiana. However, now that I think about it, they might be willing to trade.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:45 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyForever View Post
Southerners,I am one and I always will be one first and foremost.
Wow....I'm soooooo impressed. A southerner...what a great sense of accomplishment you must have by being born somewhere you didn't even choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I hate to tell some of you in the northeast that seperating the country by political divides is a recipe for disaster, you see while the financial markets and big tv networks and such are in the northeast those will become diluted when new countries form and new networks and new financial markets are set up in the new countries, meanwhile the highest concentration of natural resources are all in those areas that are mostly conservative. How long before new Yorkers and Californians are paying more for the food, oil & Gas, coal, and wood that all come from the rest of the country? Can you say export taxes? You think competing on the world market for those supplies is not going to cost you money? At the end of the day those that control the most resources and know how to utilize them while being in a free country will end up the wealthiest, and right now those would be mostly in conservative states.
New Yorkers and Californians pay fair market value for those goods right now as it is, and it would be no different in your scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What would be good would be to separate into 3 different governments - the highly taxed, open borders, welfare states of the liberals could follow their own government, pay their taxes to it -- states like California could join it. Then you could have the conservative states united under their own more limited federal government and libertarian states without any federal or state government.

The states wouldn't have to be in one region in order to unite -- just like Hawaii and Alaska are geographically separte from the other 48 states. Everyone would be happier.
Pollyanaish on both counts. Wouldn't happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
You're entitled, but of course, this is the City-Data Forum, not the Patriotic American forum, so we'll keep debating it all the same.
Yea...sure. I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
It's impossible to talk about history to today's kids.

A more reasonable breakup would be along racial lines. We're already started with Detroit, Trenton, East Saint Louis, Oakland and etc, etc so make the break formal.

As blacks will vote for Obama and his left wing ideology in near unison it would make for a very coherent country. I know such a notion is silly, white liberals would never allow it preferring to keep black people as their serfs.

Animal Farm by Georgie Orwell. Where all animals are equal except some animals are more equal than others.
Let me guess...you're a conservative Republican, right?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:58 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
I'm curious what you all think.
It might help in a final setup for a college bowl playoff arrangement.

Can I have a separate country for Texas and Friends?
Could Louisiana charge other former U.S. countries import/export fees for using international ports along the Mississippi?
How would the east and west electric grids be divided?
How would the regions be divided? I kinda like the idea of 50 pieces of paper - each with a state name - tossed into the air, then randomly assorted into four piles to assign country association. Something like Maine, Oregon and Alabama, plus others, in one state... and so on.
Who would maintain the Interstate highway system?
How would the military be divided?
Would Texas A&M still play in the SEC?
What about West Virginia?
Would Notre Dame be stuck playing only Big 10 schools?

Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Here I am four years later posting the same maps that I posted 4 years ago showing the utter ridiculousness of this who non-sensical argument.

Red vs Blue based upon county vote 2008 elections

Map based upon population and the 2008 presidential election:

Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
well if you partition the US based on your poll the Conservative states especially in the South would become 3rd. world nations overnight.
The economic powerhouses in the US are mostly based in liberal cities and states despite their regulations and taxes. There is a reason Amazon or Apple or Microsoft aren't based in Mississippi or Alabama.
And there is a reason why Dell, Delta airlines, American airlines, Southwest Airlines and many other "economic powerhouses" are not based in NJ, CT or NY.

Your red state/blue state conflict is silly and only exists in your mind. There are corporate headquarters, excellent universities and very intelligent people in every state.

Maybe you didn't hear about the Huntsville Alabama rocket scientists that were the backbone of our space efforts.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why are people all of a sudden so obsessed with the breakup of the U.S.? Haven't we settled this already? Or was the Civil War a waste of time.
Yes, the civil war was a total waste of time and 800,000 American lives.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:46 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Yes, but you must "lean" right or left, if someone put a gun to your head.

Put it this way: if Ronald Reagan ran against Franklin Roosevelt in a fantasy election, who would you vote for if those were your only two choices? Therein lies your answer.

I believe in liberty first and foremost as the directing element to which all other aspects are governed. Since neither "left" nor "right" puts liberty very high on their list, I don't fit into either.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And there is a reason why Dell, Delta airlines, American airlines, Southwest Airlines and many other "economic powerhouses" are not based in NJ, CT or NY.

Your red state/blue state conflict is silly and only exists in your mind. There are corporate headquarters, excellent universities and very intelligent people in every state.

Maybe you didn't hear about the Huntsville Alabama rocket scientists that were the backbone of our space efforts.
It's so closed minded and bigotted of liberals to continually promote the notion that everybody who lives in a red state is a foaming at the mouth retarded redneck. Such is the way of liberals though. They are only tolerant of people who think exactly like they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies