Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 AM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I find it funny how many people I see posting that they held a minimum wage job for years, and so deserve benefits, because that job sucked. Here is a simple idea, why not find a better paying job?

If returns are too low and taxes are going up why not find better investments?

Stupid arguments for stupid arguments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 09:44 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am always amused by the folks that claim, "I stole mine fair and square and I don't wnt to share." I went ot public schools and used college loans and a lot of luck but that sdon't count. I am a sucess on my own.

I am annoyed by the upper crust annuity dudes that started on third and claim a home run.
And I am sick of the people who didn't do a think to help themselves and expect others to pay for their poor choices. They chose to have kids, they chose to buy a house they couldn't afford, they made bad decisions. They had the same opportunity but chose all the wrong things. Give them allot of money and because they choose not to educate themselves in financial matters guess what it will not be long before they are poor again. Same old same old.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:48 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

Still think burger flippers aren't paying enough taxes?
I think everyone is paying too much in taxes. You should be
working to get rid of that. Not promoting the government
to take more, or to continue what they are presently doing.

FairTax Video - Americans For Fair Taxation

Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123
There is no absolutely no reason why you should be poor unless you have a disability or medical problem that prevents you from working better paying jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Where are those better paying jobs for unskilled workers, pray tell?
key word -> unskilled - > go to school and get a skill like the successful (once poor) people did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123
Not everyone is college material.
Not all of the working poor have children, let alone "too many".
Working poor don't have money for these things.
Why not college material? So you are calling them stupid? or just lazy?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am always amused by the folks that claim, "I stole mine fair and square and I don't wnt to share." I went ot public schools and used college loans and a lot of luck but that sdon't count. I am a sucess on my own.

I am annoyed by the upper crust annuity dudes that started on third and claim a home run.
That's always a pertinent issue at the federal level "annoyance of the upper crust dudes"

Old 11-14-2012, 09:56 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Why not college material? So you are calling them stupid? or just lazy?
Plenty of people are just not intelligent enough to succeed at academia. We see that problem now - hundreds of thousands of young adults with useless degrees from poor lackluster schools who had no business going to college in the first place. Some will succeed, but others will graduate with a liberal arts degree (which I have and support - but I got mine from a top university) from podunk-U and be in mountains of debt that they have little chance of escaping.

And plenty of people are just unintelligent. I'm not sure why it's not OK to point out that fact. With hard work and study, many people can succeed - but there will always be people who could study and study and study some more and never retain anything. There are few job opportunities for these people.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:30 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
And I am sick of the people who didn't do a think to help themselves and expect others to pay for their poor choices. They chose to have kids, they chose to buy a house they couldn't afford, they made bad decisions. They had the same opportunity but chose all the wrong things. Give them allot of money and because they choose not to educate themselves in financial matters guess what it will not be long before they are poor again.
Good grief.

What planet are you living on?

What "same opportunity"?

Who chooses to be poor?

Let me clue you in on something: For most of the working poor, most of whom were never able to buy their own homes in the first place, their "educat[ion] in financial matters" consists of deciding which bill to pay first, making choices such as do I fix the car so I can get to work, or do I buy groceries this week?, or putting off dental work and health appointments because your employer doesn't offer health insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Plenty of people are just not intelligent enough to succeed at academia.

And plenty of people are just unintelligent
Exactly. That's not to say they're unemployable; however, the jobs that they are qualified for just don't pay much.

So what's the solution? Do we pay the convenience store clerks, the cleaning crews, the busboys, the car wash attendants et al more money? No ... We can't pay people a living wage; that would cut into the bottom line too much.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

They might not have the cognitive ability to plan well for their future.
I appreciate how you framed this.

Cognitive and emotional maturity often trumps IQ, education and effort.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:36 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,024,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Who chooses to be poor?
Few that are poor consciously choose to be that way. A great many, however, also do not choose to do the things that would elevate their financial security through improved income, asset accumulation, or both.

The old saying "You're getting what you're getting because you're doing what you're doing" comes to mind.

Last edited by madpaddy; 11-14-2012 at 01:10 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,878 times
Quote:
And I am sick of the people who didn't do a think to help themselves and expect others to pay for their poor choices. They chose to have kids, they chose to buy a house they couldn't afford, they made bad decisions. They had the same opportunity but chose all the wrong things. Give them allot of money and because they choose not to educate themselves in financial matters guess what it will not be long before they are poor again. Same old same old.
Throw in bailing out failed companies that had **** poor management.
We are paying for the bad decisions billionaire CEOs made over the last decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies