Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 06:32 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I wonder why it affected me, or should I say my father's estate when my father died. Sick thing is my father was far from rich. As is the case with many who get hit by the estate tax, but even if they were, the estate tax is nothing more than THEFT.

Income and property taxes were already paid on everything my father had, yet the government came in and took their "fair" share. They already had more than their fair share. The problem isn't the amount of taxes coming in. The problem is the completely out of control spending going on at ALL levels of government.
Whether one calls it theft, or inheritance tax, or double taxation -- It's not uncommon for the government to tax us more than once on the same thing. I agree that it's spending that is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,354 times
I think the 'aristocracy prevention tax' should be done away with - then again, 'nobody' is subject to it......

I don't think things are 'fair-er' or 'right-er' because they only apply to a few people.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:36 PM

114 posts, read 100,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Great, another faux fan.

I'd appreciate it if you'd post even one example where someone lost the family farm.
Not anecdotes, please.
Read this..............http://realtruth.org/articles/100607..............and this.............Family Farms, why family farms important - The Issues - Sustainable Table

Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Whether one calls it theft, or inheritance tax, or double taxation -- It's not uncommon for the government to tax us more than once on the same thing. I agree that it's spending that is the problem.
It is absolutely provably NOT double taxation. It's a transfer of money from one person to another. The new person has never paid taxes on it and he's the one who has to pay the tax. It's exactly the same reason by taxing dividends is NOT double taxation. Do you remember that corporations are people? So the corporation/person pays a tax when it/he gets the money but the shareholder is a totally different person so when he gets money he owes taxes on it.

The claim that double taxation exists is just an out right lie. Now, if you want to revoke corporate personhood then a decent case could be made that it is double taxation but as long as "corporations are people, my friend" then it is a transfer of money from one person to another person in a legal sense.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Well there you have it... According to some, it is the tax the evil rich even after they die because it's not fair that they had too much tax.

I wonder why it affected me, or should I say my father's estate when my father died. Sick thing is my father was far from rich. As is the case with many who get hit by the estate tax, but even if they were, the estate tax is nothing more than THEFT.

Income and property taxes were already paid on everything my father had, yet the government came in and took their "fair" share. They already had more than their fair share. The problem isn't the amount of taxes coming in. The problem is the completely out of control spending going on at ALL levels of government.
I had to pay tax on my inheritance, too and it was only $8,000.
Big deal. I did nothing to earn it; neither did you.

It was a minimal amount of taxes.
And you're missing the point, what your father had, that doesn't equate to what you have.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,923 times
Quote:
Who benefits from this THEFT known as an inheritance tax? You, me, little Joey down the street... No. The only ones who benefit are the ones incapable of controlling their desires to spend out of a never ending pool of money, politicians. The well has run dry. I have no more to give or tax. My family is barely making it as is, but you people keep wanting more and more, and politicians keep promising more and more off the backs of those of us who work. Our collective backs are just about broke.

The amount of money going into the government is not the problem. Fix the problem.
Yep, those millionaires and billionaires are really hurting... tapped out???

Old 11-18-2012, 06:42 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
real truth?
really?

Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,078,177 times
For those of you who don't think there is a 'death tax' and the estate tax doesn't have an impact, ask the family members of Joe Robbie, the man who started the Miami Dolpnins and built a stadium with his name on it. When he died, the family had to sell the team and the stadium because of the 'inheritance tax'.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM

114 posts, read 100,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
For those of you who don't think there is a 'death tax' and the estate tax doesn't have an impact, ask the family members of Joe Robbie, the man who started the Miami Dolpnins and built a stadium with his name on it. When he died, the family had to sell the team and the stadium because of the 'inheritance tax'.
That is a fine example. Thank you.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:51 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
In 1990. Over two decades ago.

Things have changed a bit, and he should have bought insurance to cover it then. Maybe if the Dolphins didn't suck so bad, they'd have made more money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies