Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Christmas decorations be allowed and put in public places?
Yes 185 78.72%
No 23 9.79%
Only if other religious holidays symbols are put 27 11.49%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
You may see Christmas everywhere, put the actual word of "Christmas" is hard to find anymore in many store signs, products, public places, etc. which is quiet sad. Even the traditional greeting have been changed to "holidays" rather than Christmas as it used to be.

Happy holidays, tree lightning, holiday tree, holiday decorations, seasons greetings, holiday bow, holiday Santa, holiday party, holiday clothes, holiday this and that all refers to Christmas
And "Christmas" in the 1800's and early 1900's wasn't much in evidence ....people usually used the phrase "Happy Holidays.....so BLOODY WHAT!

Geez , does your faith , your religion hinge on what words OTHER people use???? How weird!

I see you FORGOT to list everything you've lost concerning Christmas....why not???

Why can't you post a list of what you can't do anymore?????

Christians don't have courage? Is that the problem????

Old 11-29-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Nunnor has very shallow faith, that's quite obvious. If he doesn't loudly and publicly proclaim his faith and righteous deeds, he feels persecuted. Even Jesus such public displays of "righteousness" were wrong. That and his obsession with all things superficial about Christianity are strange. Since when is public displays, Christmas trees, and holidays so important to one's faith? The Apostles didn't have Christmas or Christmas trees. Didn't seem to destroy their faith. I think he's just a troll who likes baiting people with his theocratic nonsense.
"Nonsense" seems to be the key word......along with totally unsubstantiated accusations and wild hallucinations...

Old 11-29-2012, 10:24 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
It is a holy war a tell you!

Coming to a town near you!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I will not support any menorah in any public land of any predominately Christian country, """"

LOL! TOO BAD FOR YOU...you're gonna see it anyway...

"""including the US until Israel put and allow Christmas in their land, and a land supported by religious Christians. It's also the land where Jesus was born, so there should be Christmas trees and decorations in Israel.

Yes, I do care about Israel because you Jewish support the nation, and its a Jewish country. We also provide Israel billions of dollars of aid from the publics tax money, including mind.
So you believe in a theocracy where christians rule.......good thing not many people here do.....most Americans believe in religious freedom....you should move...

Old 11-29-2012, 10:45 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So you believe in a theocracy where christians rule.......good thing not many people here do.....most Americans believe in religious freedom....you should move...
I believe in religious freedom in private. Every religious and atheist person wants to be the dominant....

Old 11-29-2012, 10:53 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Default As an atheist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Honestly, I don't give a darn. I think it's really silly for people to argue over it. Christmas is as much of a secular holiday as it is a religious one. Most decorations I've seen on gov't buildings are secular in nature. I wish people would start worrying about real issues of overzealous Christianity instead of unimportant holiday decor.
this is what I agree with.. Xmas is so secularized nowadays.. I can't see how people can get so bent out of shape about a candy cane or santa claus decoration on a public building for any other reason than that they look incredibly tacky . Nativity scenes, crucifixes are way more blatantly Christian and I have a problem with that in public areas. But a Christmas tree in the public square or some lighted wreaths hanging here and there? Highly attenuated. Someone explain to me with particularity what the problem is from a Constitutional perspective. Like I said - Christmas has become so far removed from what it once was, and I think many atheists and Christians struggle with that. Christmas is even celebrated in non-Christian countries. In Japan, for example, Christmas is similar to a Valentine's Day - people like to go out on dates. Here, it's an excuse for plenty of non-Christians to spend money, gorge themselves, and (for me anyway) get drunk on seasonal microbrews and hot buttered rum

Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
I will not support any menorah in any public land of any predominately Christian country, including the US until Israel put and allow Christmas in their land, and a land supported by religious Christians. It's also the land where Jesus was born, so there should be Christmas trees and decorations in Israel.
Luckily your support isn't needed nor wanted, and people will continue doing as they choose. I actually plan to attend the public menorah lighting next week (sponsored by a local Chabad, in a nearby town with lots of Jewish folks), as I do on most years. I will think of you as we light the candles, and say a prayer for you to find peace and kindness in your heart. Sadly some people, probably with views like your own, vandalized the menorah one year... so let's hope we are actually allowed to celebrate in peace this time. And since Chanukah begins a full 16 days before Christmas this year, you do not have any claim or monopoly on those days. None. In fact, I should be telling you to stop trampling on OUR holiday until after the 16th.

But what on earth do Israel's practices have to do with anything here? They actually DO have an official religion, and no separation of church & state as the US does. Oh yeah, and Christmas is already allowed & celebrated there - once again proving you know absolutely nothing about the country. I suggest you visit sometime, as you'll be quite surprised at how welcomed the Christians are.

This tree was in Haifa - even bigger than trees I've seen here, and environmentally-friendly to boot (made out of recycled bottles).

And here's an interesting blurb, along with a photo:

Israel Christian Arab Soldiers Celebrate Christmas

In this photo released by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), Christian Arab Israeli soldiers get their Christmas gifts from their commanding officer Lt.Col. Wasaffi (R) as their Jewish and Bedouin Arab comrades gather around their Christmas tree in their base December 21, 2005 near Kerem Shalom in southern Israel. All the non-Jewish soldiers serving in this unit, the Bedouin Trackers Brigade, are volunteers to the IDF.

Pretty bad when even members of the IDF are more tolerant & willing to share than you are.

Quote:
Yes, I do care about Israel because you Jewish support the nation, and its a Jewish country. We also provide Israel billions of dollars of aid from the publics tax money, including mind.
"You Jewish?" At least call us what we are, either Jews or Jewish people. And thanks for confirming what I thought, that you really don't have any idea of that Rabbi's views on Israel... fyi, there are many many Jews who don't fully support their policies, including myself. But I'm glad you're showing your true colors now, as it reminds me of why I usually don't engage bigoted people in debate.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-30-2012 at 12:25 AM..

Old 11-29-2012, 11:49 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
Quote:
Good news is that percentage of Christianity is growing even rapidly due to high immigration of Hispanic and many Asian Christian countries like Philippines.
Oh now it's good news huh???

Where is the wtf smilie?????

Old 11-29-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
I believe in religious freedom in private.
Okay, then keep your religion in private too... or did you mean to say "I believe in religious freedom in private, except when it comes to Christians? Don't bother answering, we already know.

Quote:
Every religious and atheist person wants to be the dominant....
Not true. Jews have no desire to be the dominant religion in this country, nor anywhere except maybe Israel. Plus, unlike Christians, we don't believe in "recruiting" and limit conversions by making the process a long & difficult one. I also don't know any Hindus, Buddhists, or Sikhs who desire becoming dominant here - do you? Not sure about the American Muslims, but they don't appear too concerned about that either. So it seems only Christians suffer from this superiority complex, which is ironic considering you already are the majority... but you won't be happy until the number reaches 100%, huh?

I'm not sure why you think there even has to be a "dominant" religion, majority vs minority in numbers aside. The only thing most of us non-Christians want is to be treated equally, and maybe to share in the festivities of a season which includes many holidays. I don't hate anything about Christmas, or Christians in general for that matter... well, aside from the annual "war on Christmas" whining and certain songs. I mean, Oh Holy Night is no doubt a beautiful song... but Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer? Oy.

Last edited by gizmo980; 11-30-2012 at 12:12 AM..

Old 11-30-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
You may see Christmas everywhere, put the actual word of "Christmas" is hard to find anymore in many store signs, products, public places, etc. which is quiet sad. Even the traditional greeting have been changed to "holidays" rather than Merry Christmas as it used to be. In England, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and other English speaking countries use Christmas only, and no silly holidays!

Happy holidays, holiday season, tree lightning, holiday tree, holiday decorations, seasons greetings, holiday bow, holiday Santa, holiday party, holiday clothes, holiday this and that all refers to Christmas
I've asked this a few times already (with no answers), but isn't Christmas a holiday too? So how exactly is that excluding you? When people say "Happy Fourth" on 7/4, I guess we should feel insulted they didn't say "Happy Independence Day, celebrating the birth of our nation."

For the record, I just went to Petco and saw all SORTS of stuff with "Christmas" on it... I also saw some items with the word Holiday, and even a small collection of Chanukah toys for the dogs. Thought about buying one for my dog, but they were a bit pricey (esp since he destroys soft toys in minutes). I'm sure that still offends you, even though Christmas was most prominently featured.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies