Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,887 times

Advertisements

'Walmart earned $16 billion last year (it just reported a 9 percent increase in earnings in the third quarter of 2012, to $3.6 billion), the lion's share of which went instead to Walmart's shareholders -- including the family of its founder, Sam Walton, who earned on their Walmart stock more than the combined earnings of the bottom 40 percent of American workers.

Is this about to change? Despite decades of failed unionization attempts, Walmart workers are planning to strike or conduct some other form of protest outside at least 1,000 locations across the United States this Friday -- so-called "Black Friday," the biggest shopping day in America when the Christmas holiday buying season begins.

At the very least, the action gives Walmart employees a chance to air their grievances in public -- not only lousy wages (as low at $8 an hour) but also unsafe and unsanitary working conditions, excessive hours, and sexual harassment. The result is bad publicity for the company exactly when it wants the public to think of it as Santa Claus. And the threatened strike, the first in 50 years, is gaining steam.'

Robert Reich: Why You Shouldn't Shop at Walmart on Friday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 01:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times
Plutocracy? LMAO....

If you choose to work at Walmart, you are choosing to work when they require it (and they can probably request a different shift if they don't want to work a certain day).

Old 11-21-2012, 01:01 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,139,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
'Walmart earned $16 billion last year (it just reported a 9 percent increase in earnings in the third quarter of 2012, to $3.6 billion), the lion's share of which went instead to Walmart's shareholders -- including the family of its founder, Sam Walton, who earned on their Walmart stock more than the combined earnings of the bottom 40 percent of American workers.

Is this about to change? Despite decades of failed unionization attempts, Walmart workers are planning to strike or conduct some other form of protest outside at least 1,000 locations across the United States this Friday -- so-called "Black Friday," the biggest shopping day in America when the Christmas holiday buying season begins.

At the very least, the action gives Walmart employees a chance to air their grievances in public -- not only lousy wages (as low at $8 an hour) but also unsafe and unsanitary working conditions, excessive hours, and sexual harassment. The result is bad publicity for the company exactly when it wants the public to think of it as Santa Claus. And the threatened strike, the first in 50 years, is gaining steam.'

Agree with this post 100%. And let's hope those who are working do not get harmed by aggressive crowds. Hard to believe what we have come to when people in a country like this will trample each other, trample workers and soccer moms will brawl in a store over the latest f***n gadget. I mean, just stuff. You would think it was a starving crowd fighting for food. And then the sales "reports" will come out saying they did not make enough money. Good grief.

I used to work in retail, Was there for years. Never shopped on Black Friday then, never will now. Going to lock the doors and stay inside. I want no part of it. For those who are fans of George Romero, You know his allegory in the Dead films was correct.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times
I haven't set foot in a Walmart or a Sears in more than 10 years. I refuse to give either of them my business. Also, I don't do the Black Friday thing.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,288,764 times
Thanks for reminding me to take a look at the WM circular. Discover is giving 5% cashback at dept. stories until the end of the year.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I haven't set foot in a Walmart or a Sears in more than 10 years. I refuse to give either of them my business. Also, I don't do the Black Friday thing.

Leave Sears out of this.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:07 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post

Hmm...I must've missed the news reports of Walmart holding a gun to peoples' heads and forcing them to be employed there.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:08 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Leave Sears out of this.
Who died and made you boss?

Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
sounds like it is time to support walmart and other retailers and increase their bottom line. walmart has been sued, but the plaintiffs have generally lost their cases against walmart. most of the crap against walmart is spouted by the unions because they cant get the employees to unionize. if working conditions were truly that bad at walmart, the employees would have unionized years ago.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:13 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
What? A corporation makes money for it's shareholders? You gotta be kidding me. I guess you shoulda bought some shares instead of whining and crying about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies