Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times

Advertisements

A false dichotomy has been erected by people declaring themselves "the producer class" vs. "the dependent class."

But, where a single mother of two may work 40 hours+ as a waitress at a local diner, or a father works as a landscaper all day, they still may not be able to provide for their family. (Could be due to declining wages and benefits in these fields, among many other factors). Even IF their respective families have to receive Medicaid or school lunches for the kids.... are the waitress and landscaper REALLY "non producers?"

Arguably, the waitress and landscaper produce and work harder than a financier or investor.

The Capitalist economy requires an underclass of unskilled, low wage workers. Why demonize those who fulfill important sectors and functions in our economy. Just because something does not pay well, doesn't mean it's non-essential. And, just because something pays well doesn't mean its a valuable or even necessary part of the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 12:33 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Well --- the single mother is a "producer" of children at any rate -- children she's having but cannot support.

Whatever happened to all this birth control the liberals are pushing? Or is it counter productive to push welfare handouts to reward all those who have babies they cannot afford while pushing birth control at the same time?

And yes -- massive illegal immigration from the third world is driving down wages -- that's why we have it.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:53 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well --- the single mother is a "producer" of children at any rate -- children she's having but cannot support.

Whatever happened to all this birth control the liberals are pushing? Or is it counter productive to push welfare handouts to reward all those who have babies they cannot afford while pushing birth control at the same time?

And yes -- massive illegal immigration from the third world is driving down wages -- that's why we have it.
I guess we need to convince the church to tell their parishioners that birth control is OK. Not holding my breath. Perhaps the Church can support all those welfare kids.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Those are not producers. Waitress and landscaper are service jobs. They don't produce anything.

An artist is a producer, a farmer is a producer, a rancher is a producer.
They produce a product that is sold.

If you are not a producer then you are a consumer.
Where did you get "dependent" from ?

Old 11-26-2012, 12:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Truth is, the overwhelming majority of Americans belong to BOTH classes...even the wealthy.

The folks convincing themselves otherwise are just flattering themselves.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I guess we need to convince the church to tell their parishioners that birth control is OK. Not holding my breath. Perhaps the Church can support all those welfare kids.
Well who convinced the single-mothers that fornication is okay? Isn't fornication also wrong as far as the church?

Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well who convinced the single-mothers that fornication is okay? Isn't fornication also wrong as far as the church?
lol malamute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Those are not producers. Waitress and landscaper are service jobs. They don't produce anything.

True. In fact it doesn't benefit the economy at all if the leaves in my neighbor's yard get raked up or not. Hiring some cheap landscaper is actually worse for the economy because someone who mows his own lawn is more likely going to purchase a better lawnmower.

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

That's a ridiculous assertion. I just paid my landscaper $200 to trim my juniper bushes, my mesquite tree, and do debris cleanup. How in the hell isn't he a producer? If he's not a producer, then neither are you nor is anyone else.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:05 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,813,834 times
I think what is weirdest about the "makers and takers" thing is that a person's whole worth is being decided on how much in federal taxes they pay. Not taxes period mind you. Not state, local, property or even sales.... JUST federal taxes. If you work 40+ hours a week it doesn't matter either. You can only be worthy if you pay federal taxes. It's just such a bizarre line of reasoning to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies