Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:30 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times

Advertisements

Yeah that makes sense...throw him in the overcrowded jail and make him go through the overcrowded court system at tax payer expense for what? He can't pay the fine and sending him to jail is actually a step-up from his current situation. Yes let's waste taxpayer money to teach that guy a lesson about being a homeless and possible drug addicted deranged homeless guy. That will teach him!

[quote=Mac_Muz;27187676]I am willing to bet the boots were sold and drank up........ If he wants shoes most any church store would just give him some.

My wife knows a woman in some troubles and that woman asked her for some articles of clothing. I went along for the ride and the church store lady game me a sport coat missing a button I could use. She refused any payment which i could have made since normally that coat would have been a buck.

There is no need to give street bums new stuff because they will sell it..... And yeah the media made money as a story off the guy so they should have handed him a 20 which is only the new 5 anyway....... paid in full.

And I don't know why the Cops didn't bust him for vagrancy?[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
The man is clearly mentally unbalanced and needs to be in a secure shelter for his own good. I don't understand with the amount of money squandered on useless solar companies that have gone belly up, that we can't provide a decent commune/housing development for these people.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The man is clearly mentally unbalanced and needs to be in a secure shelter for his own good. I don't understand with the amount of money squandered on useless solar companies that have gone belly up, that we can't provide a decent commune/housing development for these people.
Well if you do that; you cannot use them as political currency to "shame" the opposition can you?

Why would you knowingly give up a very useful weapon that you use to point your accusing finger across the floor of the house to rain shame on the folks over there?

Old 12-03-2012, 10:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Because usually when states do their first budget cuts these people are the first to feel the pinch as their services, housing, and help usually gets cut first.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:52 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times
The problem was that most in-patient long term care mental health facilities were woefully underfunded and understaffed leading to horrendous (Willowbrook) conditions. A lot of places where a person like him would have remained in custodial care for life were closed during the 80s.

People like him who have some ability to function independently are supposed to medically managed. Meaning they are supposed to take their medication and keep their appointments with their mental health provider. Well, many mentally ill people aren't consistent taking their medications. Once they are stable and feeling better they get delusional and think they don't need them anymore because they feel great and those meds do have unwanted side-effects.

Many anti-psychotics make people sluggish and can cause a great deal of harm if not taken correctly or even if taken correctly long-term. So they stop taking their meds until they hit rock bottom again and have a break with reality. They get hospitalized and the cycle repeats indefinitely until they die or get old enough to end up in a nursing home. Many drug addicts are MICA (Mentally Ill Chemically Addicted).

I used to do psych home visits (to make sure pts were taking their meds) but if the pt becomes homeless or decides to disappear...what next?

Quote:

Old 12-03-2012, 10:54 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What do you want to bet that the boots were traded for drugs or booze within half an hour?
Seeing as he went without shoes for years, it didn't make difference to him if he has them or not. He probably did sell them.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Well, Maybe he sold them or is just looking for handouts. Regardless, The officer's act was awesome and this takes nothing away from the story.
I agree. The problem is that it might make someone think twice before doing a kind act for someone really, really in need and would appreciate that kind act loses out.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
A majority of the homeless have untreated mental and substance abuse issues. In any case, if you give charity and the person abuses it...that doesn't diminish you it diminishes them.

Did the homeless guy approach the officer and ask for boots or did the officer offer the guy the boots? Let's get it straight.

I'm sure that I've given a few coins or a dollar or two to someone who hasn't deserved it upon occassion but I figure let God be the judge of them....not me.

Gosh the evil that some people have in their heart is ridiculous. So what it was a $100....not the end of the world.
I agree.

I'll remember the shining example the officer is far longer than I'll remember the barefoot guy.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:02 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Most homeless folks have family members somewhere. Family should be required to take over direct responsibility and care for them. They should become wards of their family instead of wards of the community or the state.

Many are mentally unstable. Many are addicted to drugs and alcohol. Some are just financially really down on their luck. For those down on their luck (financially) there are programs that can help them, and family should be required to take them on. Family can seek that help out and/or support them until they get back on their feet.

For those with mental, drug or alcohol issues they should become their families problems.

Yes....yes....I know about free will and maybe the homeless won't want to be with family. And yes I know that some families are messed up and it may not be a wonderful situation for the homeless person to be with family.

But all of that is better than the current situation of allowing hundreds if not thousands of homeless in every mid-sized and large city to roam unchecked as their crazy, drug and booze addled selves. There is a town in Alaska where the homeless move to BECAUSE they receive so many support services - free housing (without pre-conditions), free food, free medications, free busing, free haircuts and yes even pedicures (and I know ........ minimizing foot problems but still........). A town where you can be stopped three times in one day by the same person asking for money. A town where you can see them passed out under a covered picnic shelter downtown where the tourists roam. A town where you can see three guys in a store doorway in the middle of the day with white powder on their hands while they freely and openly swap pills. They are euphemistically called "chronic inebriates".

My point is better family than the rest of us. Better family than the taxpayers.

My other point is that handing these folks things freely and without preconditions or expectations is a waste of money, time, effort and honestly an open heart. They are users straight up because of their "issues" - giving people stuff without expecting anything in return is a fools game. As it goes with homeless it goes with other more formal safety net programs financed by us and distributed by the government. If you expect nothing you will get nothing (other than higher expectations on the part of the recipient). Give me something. Now give me something else.

It's all unenforceable and will never happen, but these people should belong to their families and not us.
And how are you going to make that happen?
You can't force me to take care of anyone.

I guess you're the definition of one of them there compassionate conservatives.

Quote:
For his own good, or for yours.
Talk to Ronnie Raygunz about closing facilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
I agree. The problem is that it might make someone think twice before doing a kind act for someone really, really in need and would appreciate that kind act loses out.
I disagree completely.
Why would this stop me from doing a kindness. I do it from my heart, not because of the ending.
I guess some people don't have hearts.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
In a secured shelter? You mean - jail? On what grounds? Unless the man is breaking the law, in which case he has a right to due process - you can't lock him up for his own good, nor can you arbitrarily decide he's clearly mentally unbalanced, because he doesn't live the same life you live and therefore you can't fathom that he may well be doing just what he wants to do in a free country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies