Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 05:03 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,943,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Wonder if the union goons will pull a Wis type protest and the left handed cowards will run off to Illinois again??

"Right-to-Work states have higher population growth, higher wage growth and greater job creation," said Vincent Vernuccio, labor policy director with the Mackinac Center. "Michigan is one step closer now to bringing more job creators and businesses to our state."The introduction of a right-to-work bill comes after the state's unions spent more than $23 million on Proposal 2, which would have permanently banned a right-to-work law in Michigan. Voters rejected the constitutional amendment change by a margin of 57 percent against to 43 percent in favor.
Immediately after the election, union executives defended their decision to try and guarantee forced unionism in the state constitution, but also began asking voters, business owners and Republican legislators to not pass a right-to-work bill because it would be divisive."

LOL

Governor: Bill Will Be Introduced To Make Michigan 24th Right-To-Work State [Michigan Capitol Confidential]
Let's get to the bottom of what RTW really is.
It is the corporate fascist view that the American worker is under-worked and overpaid, and because payroll and pesky regulations cut into corporate profits, Americans must start competing with indentured slave labor in Asia - the "global marketplace". It is just another step toward overturning regulations on workplace safety, working conditions, living wages - in other words destroying collective bargaining which conservatives have always hated. One step at a time - the next targets being the minimum wage and unemployment benefits.

While the public's attention is diverted onto Fox's "greedy American worker", corporations will retain their "freedom" to increase their profits while keeping their taxpayer subsidies, breaks, secret campaign contributions, and covert lobbying rights. A weakening of workers' power and strengthening of corporate power - in other words, an enhancement of republican trickle-down.
This is all it's about - a piece of the puzzle for corporate oligarchy and a plutocratic power play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 05:15 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,313,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Did you even read the "source"?? Apparently not. Now rant on.
I KNOW the source, much better than you I might add.

The Mackinac Group in the tank for corporate interest and the right wing.

There is a differece between information and propaganda.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:16 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,222,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artisan4 View Post
The Republicons flexing their cheeks again to dump on the middle and working classes and American democracy. Lyin' Snyder.
^^^ Truly, adult intelligence at it's best....

Old 12-06-2012, 05:20 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,219,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It won't pass and thank god as only a fool wants to be a right to work for less state.

the difference is, is that a person should have the choice of whether they belong to a union, not be forced into one.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,222,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Let's get to the bottom of what RTW really is.
It is the corporate fascist view that the American worker is under-worked and overpaid, and because payroll and pesky regulations cut into corporate profits, Americans must start competing with indentured slave labor in Asia - the "global marketplace". It is just another step toward overturning regulations on workplace safety, working conditions, living wages - in other words destroying collective bargaining which conservatives have always hated. One step at a time - the next targets being the minimum wage and unemployment benefits.

While the public's attention is diverted onto Fox's "greedy American worker", corporations will retain their "freedom" to increase their profits while keeping their taxpayer subsidies, breaks, secret campaign contributions, and covert lobbying rights. A weakening of workers' power and strengthening of corporate power - in other words, an enhancement of republican trickle-down.
This is all it's about - a piece of the puzzle for corporate oligarchy and a plutocratic power play.
Gotta hand it to you, you have the OWS mantra down pat...

So please tell us which RTW states have "overturned regulations on workplace safety, working conditions, living wages"

I guess OWS never taught you about OSHA huh?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupat...Administration

Did OWS also teach you the following statistic?

~ CBS average unemployment rate 7.5%

~ RTW average unemployment rate 6.9%

Right-to-work law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You just keep on pumping out the union propaganda, union stewards and liberal colleges will be proud of you.....

Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,075,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ergo, having secured those rights you should have no need to pay for the "additional" right to secure a job. In a sense, does that not constitute double jeopardy? If you think about it, you're paying extra for the ability to work and earn in order to pay those taxes. It makes no sense!
I think what they are paying for is the "right" to exorbident wages and the protection from discipline and the need to be productive that Unions provide. Unions are the ultimate "Mommy"!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 PM

10,835 posts, read 14,953,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Goodness gracious, is this what passes for journalism these days? Splitting infinitives?! Shameful, really.

In any case, I have no problem with them becoming a right-to-work state. Of course, I've never been part of a union. I'm unsure that unions continue to serve the best interests of their consituents and the companies.
yes, yes they do.

Without unions protecting workers rights what would happen to those who shoe horses for the Detroit Water Department?

Quote:
No Horses, But Detroit Water Department Employs 'Horseshoer'

Union head says it's 'not possible' to eliminate positions from bloated city entity

snip

The city pays $29,245 in salary and about $27,000 in benefits for the horseshoer position.
$56,245 wages and benefits. Not bad for a guy who doesn't have any work to do but just shows up.

Why do the people who want to get rid of the horseshoer hate the working man?

Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,964,057 times
When I moved to Florida, I had no idea what "Right to Work" meant. I spent most of my working life in a state like Massachusetts where I had a steady job, paid vacation and benefits. If you want to work for low wages, no benefits, where your boss can fire you for any reason then you definitely want to work in a state with a "Right to Work" law.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM

39,889 posts, read 26,566,286 times
It's good to see common sense breaking out in Michigan. After seeing some of the idiots in Detroit begging for an Obama bailout, I didn't expect it. Maybe jobs will start to come back to Michigan the same way they have in other RTW states. Union thugs are getting desperate.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:29 PM

169 posts, read 113,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Come to Michigan where you have the right to work for chump change and pay big taxes.
No.....wages are pretty good and the taxes aren't that bad. Except for the gas tax.....the dem gov prior to Snyder wrote in one of the highest gas taxes in the nation. Being a right to work state has much more bennies than constantly being run by unions. Several of my family members are/were part of a union.....a few were forced into unions....and they rarely saw any benefit from them at all. Ensuring a fair wage and decent benefits are fine, but when unions run businesses into the ground and/or the general public is forced into paying for the union worker's wages and bennies (excluding police/firefighters/etc...), then unions have lost their real purpose. Sorry.....but a plumber or steelworker does not need to make $30/hour when nurses/social workers get paid only between $15-20/hour. I don't disagree that plumbers and steelworkers deserve a decent wage, but I don't think I should have to pay for their wages and bennies....it's just that simple. Let them pay for their own wage/benefit increases with their union dues rather than give millions of dollars to their union leaders. That's where the big money actually goes anyway. The union leaders rip off the union members and the public is forced to pay for it. So, of course the unions and members want to see their power increase.

Here is my pet peeve......social services are always the first thing to get cut when there is ANY budget crunch. Nobody gives a **** about the kid living on the streets out of necessity or the mentally ill homeless person. Not really anyway. Social service programs (counseling services for children/families, rape victims/seriously mentally ill/etc..) are gutted to the point to where real help can't even be given to these people. Social service programs are given about $500 to provide "treatment" to these people, yet are surprised when 8 weeks of "treatment" isn't effective. It's like putting a band aid on a gaping, profusly bleeding wound. Social service agencies are being forced to provide treatment to several thousand people on a shoestring budget, or less......yet I hear all the time about how the dems are pushing funding for these social programs. NO THEY ARE NOT! They are the FIRST people to cut the monies to these programs. Neither party gives a **** about these people, and that includes the liberals. They pay their cronies, feed their pet projects, pay their "business associates", etc......social service programs are at the very bottom of the list. I would LOVE it if the bleeding heart liberals would actually put their money where their mouths are and provide adequate funding for these services, instead of only claiming they give a **** about the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies