Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And I have come back when accused of making up stuff with links to back up my claims.
And each time they are ignored.

So continue to drink your brand of koolaid and say they are all liars.
Push your agenda of social justice and Utopia.

I don't give a damn anymore because I'm not in that group you're hunting to fund your lifestyle of the rich and famous.

I'm just going to sit on the sidelines now and watch the country implode from rising debt.
Your link doesn't support your claim.

Conservatives when it comes to public policy are liars or ignorant of reality.

I have no agenda of a Utopia.

I am not attempting to be rich or famous.

I have paid income taxes every year of my working adult life. In fact until relatively recently, when I did file my taxes I'd have to write the government a check.

America isn't going to implode rising debt is irrelevant as long as the economy starts growing faster and we get healthcare costs under control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Your link doesn't support your claim.

Conservatives when it comes to public policy are liars or ignorant of reality.

I have no agenda of a Utopia.

I am not attempting to be rich or famous.

I have paid income taxes every year of my working adult life. In fact until relatively recently, when I did file my taxes I'd have to write the government a check.

America isn't going to implode rising debt is irrelevant as long as the economy starts growing faster and we get healthcare costs under control.
We've been bouncing in stagnation for 5 years now since we crashed.
Give it 5 more ?

Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
I could find more buried at the State of Texas website but that takes time and digging.
Wikopedia is up to date for one of these counties:

Hidalgo county, Texas

Hidalgo County, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
About 31.30% of families and 35.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 45.50% of those under age 18 and 23.30% of those age 65 or over.

In 2009, it was tied with Bronx County, New York for "the greatest share of people receiving food stamps: 29 percent."

The last time Hidalgo County voted Republican was in the 1972 presidential election
2012 elections: 70% voted Obama
Yeah, but what we really need to see is the data on county political affiliation and effective federal tax rates. I'm sure that a chunk of the 18% (of "the 47%") who aren't retired and don't work are liberals/democrats...but I would still guess that it's not 100%; there will be some mix involving conservative GOP voters as well.

Quote:
LOL..the "retired" are not elderly and past the point of doing anything.

I know several in their late 40's and 50's who retired, got layed off, bought out from the corporate world and live in my neck of the woods. You'd be surprised at how many are doing it.
It also strains common sense to conclude even that a majority of retired people in that 47% number are not elderly. I know people of various ages who have retired as well, but I wouldn't draw statistical conclusions just based on that.

Per the pie chart I posted, those who are in the elderly/retired segment are not in the "working poor" or "no job" segments. If they are counted as retired, they are not on welfare; if they are on welfare, they are not counted as retired.

And if someone has the resources to self-sufficiently retire, then it's not really anyone's business what that person's age is and whether or not they are "past the point of doing anything."

We can spin this all sorts of ways, but the fact of the matter remains that a big chunk of those who are in "the 47%" - a majority, in fact - are not "moochers."

Last edited by ambient; 12-10-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 12-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yeah, but what we really need to see is the data on county political affiliation and effective federal tax rates. I'm sure that a chunk of the 18% (of "the 47%") who aren't retired and don't work are liberals/democrats...but I would still guess that it's not 100%; there will be some mix involving conservative GOP voters as well.
Well there is this. A listing of the poorest counties of the US.
You can click on the county to get further wikopedia information.
Within the county sure there will be a mix.

I checked a few of the Texas listings and the ones that had political sections showed they were strong Democrat.

List of lowest-income counties in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's just that so many times I see the comment regarding Texas being red yet having a large group of poor. These aren't redneck, bible thumping, poorer than snot conservative church goers like everyone seems to think (for Texas anyway).

Just look over the demographics for those counties and the pattern will emerge.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:19 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
And the "red" state of Texas has solid Dem counties that are all below poverty line.
Those "moochers" as you put it are solid Dem voters.

Texas has 3 of the poorest 10 counties in the nation. Get rid of those 3 and we'd be a net giver of tax dollars instead of a net taker.

It's not all that simple as you post.

Did you expect people living at or below the poverty line to vote for candidates who want to tax them more?

Old 12-11-2012, 01:35 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Shouldn't this thread be in sports?

Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If you plan on not being counted as a 47%er what is your plan to get out?
Why are you asking these people to get out while you have the financial capital to go build Galt's Gulch.

The sooner you leave this county and build your paradise, the better. What is exactly stopping you?

A tax break?

Old 12-11-2012, 03:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
You have any stats for that ? Retired folks can also fit into that 47% because deferred investments don't count and if they play their cards right can and do get refunds.

And AMT, if not patched by 12/31, will hit people making $30K a year an up.

There is a concept called asset poverty; one standard is whether a person has sufficient assets to meet basic needs for three months if they lost their income. (The idea is you would have to sell your non-cash assets to generate cash to live on, and how long could you do it?)

This might be considered one operational definition of living paycheck to paycheck, and yes there are studies for that.

Asset poverty appears to be more stable - less volatile - than income poverty, and more prevalent than income poverty.

Excluding home equity (which is illiquid), 25% of Americans have zero or negative net worth. Only about 5% of homeowners have negative net worth, while 25% are asset-poor excluding home equity.

Two-thirds (!) of renters are asset-poor (hence my idea that renters never get ahead financially); one-third of one-person households are asset-poor (all larger household sizes have lower asset poverty rates - probably has something to do with the low homeownership rate of singles). One-quarter have $500 or less in liquid assets (cash etc).

These are all somewhat outdated - 1984-1999 - but the patterns are fairly consistent over time.

http://www.levyinstitute.org/pubs/ppb76.pdf

Old 12-12-2012, 02:36 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
I haven't seen any rich imprisoned for just keeping their money offshore.
And wow..you're even going to go tougher than China. You're proposing a "no child" law.
google, a big supporter of Obama keeps their money in the Caribbean. But I guess since they support Obama then it's ok then.

Another big Obama supporter, the co-founder of Costco borrowed money and gave big early dividends so they didn't have to pay next years tax rates.

See how Obama is taxing the rich. All he is doing is getting the little guy.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Did you expect people living at or below the poverty line to vote for candidates who want to tax them more?
Paying more of nothing is the same as paying nothing to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies