Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 AM

335 posts, read 335,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
How would I, as a small framed woman with no ability to really fight, ward off blows? How would I be able to successfully get to my children and get them out of the house without being further attacked by an intruder? I am genuinely curious.
I don't see where having a gun would be of any help. It would cause you to be killed rather than only hurt.

We are all vulnerable in this world. Therefore we all take precautions. It's just that these precautions must be taken in wisdom and in compassion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,230,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Merton View Post
I don't see where having a gun would be of any help. It would cause you to be killed rather than only hurt.

We are all vulnerable in this world. Therefore we all take precautions. It's just that these precautions must be taken in wisdom and in compassion.
So having a gun for self defense would cause you to be killed? Actually having a gun is an equalizer in a situation like this. If you get a clear shot on the gunman, take it. Problem solved.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:38 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,742,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
Because one off-topic thread on this subject just wasn't enough...

[What makes some people think the phrase Politics and Other Controversies means "Anything That Interests Me"? Is it just self-centered narcissism?]
so says the poster who joined in Oct 2012.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:45 AM

24,458 posts, read 23,152,383 times
Its weird that the first posts on this tragedy both seemed to revel in the deaths while decrying them.
As for the shooter, I just read that he stole the weapon from an accquaintance so maybe he wasn't legally allowed to own a firearm. And I'm not sure what his ethnicity is. He looks possibly partly hispanic or native american or possibly partly asian. Not that either matters but some were very quick to make assumptions. I wonder if the December 21 2012 Mayan Doomsday had a part in his going off the deep end.
Gone are the days when most gun toting crazies were white, now its an equal opportunity psych ward.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:13 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,375,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
Yep. One.

Which is a HELLUVA lot less than what happens here. My questions still stand.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,375,748 times
Quote:

It is not a foregone conclusion that a gun would cause me to be killed. Many people are protected by the guns they own.

While I appreciate the tone of your posts, they don't answer the questions I've posed.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It is not a foregone conclusion that a gun would cause me to be killed. Many people are protected by the guns they own.

While I appreciate the tone of your posts, they don't answer the questions I've posed.
I kinda wish I had the time to dig up references. Let me just say that there have been studies on the matter of people defending themselves with guns. Even trained policemen often get the worst of it.

The best defense to an assault is to remain calm and do what the criminal says. The situation is fraught with danger and there are no guarantees this will work, but statistically this is the best call.

I think the theory is that criminals are more willing to use a gun, will do so with less warning, are more willing to take the risk of getting shot -- and thereby take the gun away from you, and have thought about such scenarios a lot more than you have -- they may have even practiced them with acquaintances.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 AM

Hmmm

How do you explain this Frank?

65-year-old Woman Thwarts Robbery on Jewellery Store in Garden Grove, California - YouTube

71yr Old Man Pulls Gun and Defends Innocent Patrons (Shoot Two Suspects) - YouTube

Armed Homeowner Shoots Robbers During Daytime Invasion (AZ) - YouTube

12 year old girl shoots robber in home, probably saved herself from being raped or killed

12-Year-Old Girl Shoots Intruder (As Seen On DRUDGE) - YouTube

66 year old woman kills intruder

Armed California Woman Kills Intruder - YouTube

72 year old man kills attacker armed with knife stabbing someone in wal mart

VIDEO: Armed Samaritan Shoots Attacker, Saves Woman - YouTube

I could go on.....

Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 AM

I would say you have kept a library of incidents that support your view. That sort of thing is not hard to do, since these are the stories that tend to get attention.

It is not a properly drawn random sample of what usually happens, and so is not scientific.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I would say you have kept a library of incidents that support your view. That sort of thing is not hard to do, since these are the stories that tend to get attention.

It is not a properly drawn random sample of what usually happens, and so is not scientific.

Keep being deluded. I wouldn't want to live with not being able to defend my family from an armed intruder. I would not BEND OVER TO THEM as you suggest. You could be subjected to watching your wife raped/beaten or child taken when you could have been armed and defended them with deadly force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies