Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 03:54 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times

Advertisements

Cut Obama off from our tax dollar. Half the problem would be solved.

Cut Obama off!

Last edited by petch751; 12-13-2012 at 04:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 PM

30,077 posts, read 18,682,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
On another thread that I started I was criticized for not writing a 500 word introduction. I don't, first of all because no one is paying for my time and most importantly because folks can't read for comprehensively read even a short sentence as in your case here where I started the thread with these short words.

"Here's were I woud start:"
Great.................. where would you end?

Old 12-13-2012, 04:01 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yes it has voted on several budgets over the past four years, the success rate of those budgets are much lower though, if that was the statement you were meaning to make.
Dirty Harry Reid has said over and over that he thinks we have done smashingly well with the credit card system we have used since they even debated a budget bill from the House. Nope they haven't given any consideration to anything other than the fool bills Obama has sent them. You know the ones that not one member of Congress voted for.

I have to wonder if you know that according to the Constitution any tax bill, and that includes budgets, must originate in the House. Now they could make some changes in something the president proposes and then send it over, but it has to be done properly and since budgets are tax involved they must originate in the House.

So many here keep talking about tax bills and so many of them don't know that the Constitution talks about where tax bills must originate. You aren't one of those who doesn't know about that, are you?

Old 12-13-2012, 04:35 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,246,149 times
As Horace Greeley would say, conservatives getting suddenly conservative?

Gee neocons, what happened from 2000 to 2007? no balanced budgets, just spend, spend spend.
And now, conservatives just woke from the dead in 2008 and found out, hey, we're spending too much!!
Oh what a difference 8 years makes.

I thought the flag destroyer left the country.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:40 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
So many here keep talking about tax bills and so many of them don't know that the Constitution talks about where tax bills must originate. You aren't one of those who doesn't know about that, are you?
All finance bills must originate in the House of Representatives. That is why the Obamacare deemed a tax by the Supreme Court’s has created a new Constitutional issue.

According to the United States Constitution, all tax bills must originate in the House of Representatives. This law originated in the Senate, because at the time the Democrats were selling it as a purchase, not a tax. Since the Supreme Court has ruled that the law is indeed based on a tax increase, it would have had to be initiated as a bill in the House of Representatives.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
General officers in the US military make about $200,000/yr. In order to save just 1 billion dollars per year we'd have to cut 5,000 generals. America's debt goes up by 1 billion dollars approximately every 6 hours.

But we only have about 850 flag officers.

So gutting our military leadership would pay for our debt for around 1 hour.

I think you need to go back to the drawing board.
Probably before the time of anyone with the nickname "kid", but to quote good old IL Republican Senator Everett Dirksen (and father-in-law of Howard baker)... "A billion here, a billion there. Pretty soon it runs into real money!"

Of course when it comes to cutting VA benefits to protect tax breaks for the top 2%, hey, the GOP is all over that!

Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,369,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Wow, spending the $1.6 trillion over what we have to spend and taking out $30 billion per year will certainly really work. You do see that there is a huge difference in the $1.6 trillion and $30 billion per year, don't you?
You were so right when you admitted you were not a conservative a 30 billion in savings is a good cut and our leaders should do it. We both know why they don't because BIG PHARMA keeps the palms greased in both parties. Yes Roy we know 30 billion does not equal 1.6 trillion but a bunch of cuts or savings like it adds up.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That's a really bad analysis by someone who has no understanding of the military.
Really? And....

Generals per division is not a proper unit of measure.

Why doesn't he count reserve divisions?

Quote:
Probably because he doesn't understand how the US Army Reserve works. You have 6 reserve divisions --- with no troops. It's just a skeleton division headquarters staff with skeleton brigade staffs. In the event of a major conflict, you'd draft troops for cannon fodder, call up the highly specialized reserve units like field artillery, intelligence, military police, medical, engineering etc and then put them together.
So let's see, you need these generals-in-waiting for these virtual reserve divisions? Don't suppose you could do like the U.S. military has done in every era in the past and when needed promote these generals from the non-flag ranks, you know colonels and majors and such. They could sort of put their staffs together while all those cannon fodders are being trained, sort of like we did in WW2?

Yeah, we don't understand how the military works. Right. Gottcha.

What are you some KStreet lobbyist for what was it that David Hackworth called them "pampered perfumed princes". But Hackworth didn't understand the military either I suppose.

Quote:
You know Khomeini summarily executed the 7 army commanders that sided with Carter Administration and attempted a military coup in Iran. He also executed some of the junior commanders and then relived a lot of the others of duty. That left the Iranian military vulnerable and Iraq took advantage of that, and did quite well in the war....right up until the newer Iranian officers got off the learning-curve...after that Iran beat the crap out of Iraq.
Jumped the shark with that one didn't you.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:26 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Great.................. where would you end?
I would start with the Dept of Agriculture and work my way down the alphabet.

I don't believe for a second that there is far too much redundancy and duplication in the federal government.

A while back, I raised the question of why in the hell are their 104 federal law enforcement agencies! ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR!

Maybe the 137,929 separate officers can be justified, but 104 directors and their staffs? Come on. Why can the local cops have a bomb squad, a narcotics unit, a homicide division, hell NYPD has a art theft section on in the same police department but the U.S. government needs 104 separate divisions.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d07121.pdf

And don't get me started on America Rules the Waves. Twelve carrier groups?

One last thing, the ONLY thing that... what was his name... oh yeah, Romney said that I have long agreed with, needs test social security and medicare or drop/raise the cap on contributions.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:39 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
You surely understand this would mean little in actual money .
We spend over $700B annually, or around 4.7% of our GDP on the military, far more than any other nation on the planet. It's 20% of the federal budget. You surely understand that if we are to make cuts, then there is ample fat to be trimmed here as well. But, of course, conservatives never want to even look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies