Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 03:20 PM

990 posts, read 940,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Nothing was said about no wars in the 50s, they were reported about on the news each night. The thread was about TV entertainment and the fact they had prayer in mainstream shows back then but not now.
But that's an utter fallacy.
Prayer is in today's TV shows as well. And EVERY SINGLE FREAKING SITCOM HAS A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL!!!!

"The Simpsons" go to church every Sunday and Ned Flanders is the epitome of a "Good Christian".
"Friday Night Lights" and "7th Heaven" were both overtly Christian shows.
"The Middle" has a pastor as a regular guest star and the object of a schoolgirl crush of a main character.
"The Big Bang Theory" has religion play a significant role in the lives of a couple of characters.
"Community" has one character who is a very Christian woman that holds some views similar to your and she is still loved by the other characters.
The show "The Office" has a handful of Christians.
[LEFT]President Josiah Bartlett from “The West Wing” was a religious, liberal Democrat who quotes Scripture, talks in Latin to God, and attends Mass regularly.
"Mike and Molly" has Church and prayer as a significant part of the storyline, especially with the mother.

I could go on, but you can't read anyway...
[/LEFT]

Old 12-14-2012, 03:43 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,620,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Here, raising hand. Back to topic, Gay marriage and how it affects society.

Same-sex wife of Army officer banned from joining Fort Bragg spouses club - U.S. News
Seems to me that is an argument against your cause. You LIKE that kind of discrimination, after all.

But after SCOTUS kills DOMA, and rest assured, it will, this woman will be able to get the benefits that she is entitled to.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:46 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,269,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Seems to me that is an argument against your cause. You LIKE that kind of discrimination, after all.

But after SCOTUS kills DOMA, and rest assured, it will, this woman will be able to get the benefits that she is entitled to.
Weird, huh?

Because when I saw that article about how that woman was discriminated against, my first thought was about how unjust and how unfair it is.

Apparently, the OP's first thought was: "YAY!"

Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 PM

753 posts, read 729,098 times
Quote:

It hasn't occurred to most of them that they are systematically losing these battles, and are inevitably going to lose the fight in the (not too long) run.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
It hasn't occurred to most of them that they are systematically losing these battles, and are inevitably going to lose the fight in the (not too long) run.
I've said that more times than I care to count about.

I'm not quite there yet, but I'll reach a point that I don't participate in debates on this topic. Both because I'm tired of going around in the same circles over and over again, but more importantly because it's not a question of if, but rather when and how.

If I live to what would be a normal life expectancy for a guy my age, long before I assume room temperature SSM will be legal in all 50 states. It is inevitable.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:00 PM

753 posts, read 729,098 times
Quote:
I've said that more times than I care to count about.

I'm not quite there yet, but I'll reach a point that I don't participate in debates on this topic. Both because I'm tired of going around in the same circles over and over again, but more importantly because it's not a question of if, but rather when and how.

If I live to what would be a normal life expectancy for a guy my age, long before I assume room temperature SSM will be legal in all 50 states. It is inevitable.
It is telling that virtually every time a law has changed the status of same-sex marriage, it has been in favor of it. Only once -- California, 2008 -- has the status of same-sex marriage changed from allowed to prohibuted. Eleven times (in 10 states, including California, + DC) it has changed from prohibited to allowed.

11 to 1. That's not a very good batting record. And there's not a single place where it is legal now, that it looks like there is any chance at all of a repeal. Yet there are several states where legalization looks promising in the next year.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 PM

It's all about demographics. Every 70- or 80-something that dies, statistically speaking, is about 70% likely to oppose SSM. Every new 18 year old voter that replaces the deceased on the voter rolls is about 70% (and rising) likely to be in favor of it.

Game, Set, Match, it's over.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:13 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,176,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictlantecuhtli View Post
It is telling that virtually every time a law has changed the status of same-sex marriage, it has been in favor of it. Only once -- California, 2008 -- has the status of same-sex marriage changed from allowed to prohibuted. Eleven times (in 10 states, including California, + DC) it has changed from prohibited to allowed.

11 to 1. That's not a very good batting record. And there's not a single place where it is legal now, that it looks like there is any chance at all of a repeal. Yet there are several states where legalization looks promising in the next year.
AND, threads like this help their cause! SHHHH! Don't tell the OP

Old 12-14-2012, 04:14 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,176,607 times
Quote:
It's all about demographics. Every 70- or 80-something that dies, statistically speaking, is about 70% likely to oppose SSM. Every new 18 year old voter that replaces the deceased on the voter rolls is about 70% (and rising) likely to be in favor of it.

Game, Set, Match, it's over.
AAAhhhhh , I am really really old and do not oppose gay marriage.....OP? 14? 16?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
AAAhhhhh , I am really really old and do not oppose gay marriage.....OP? 14? 16?
That makes you part of the 30% in your demographic.

So don't die!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies