Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why shouldn't they do so? Other cities have local laws that preempt federal laws.

If New York City can arrest people from other states that own handguns, why can't my city arrest people for possession of a hybrid? Both are regulated by federal laws. Both (for the sake of arguement) are legal in the owner's home state. In both cases, it's for the "common good" in someone's mind. If a city can make one object illegal, why not another?
This is limited. If I'm travelling through NY then the Firearms Owner Protection Act applies and NY cops can't touch me.

Well they could but the ensuing lawsuit would be fun and financially lucrative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 05:50 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,782 times
Quote:
Why shouldn't they do so? Other cities have local laws that preempt federal laws.

If New York City can arrest people from other states that own handguns, why can't my city arrest people for possession of a hybrid? Both are regulated by federal laws. Both (for the sake of arguement) are legal in the owner's home state. In both cases, it's for the "common good" in someone's mind. If a city can make one object illegal, why not another?
Firearms are considered separately from the commerce clause because of the 2nd amendment. In fact, very recently the courts have struct down restrictive handgun laws in DC and Chicago.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:53 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,239,158 times
If anyone thinks the OP's story about banning hybrids is ridiculous, I'll take it one step further with a story about what one community in Wisconsin plans to do. Here's one more ridiculous item for the day.
West Allis to begin charging $250 crash fee to non-residents only | CBS 58 | Local News

Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,418 times
Hybrid cars are the leading cause of smug.

M'kay.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:13 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,332 times
Here's what they should do. You can choose to drive or not drive a hybrid car, but if you do, you have to pay a tax. Isn't that how it works liberals?

Old 12-13-2012, 06:54 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
I don't think it would hold up because you can't force people not to drive a vehicle. Its deemed safe by the automotive industry so what makes the city officials experts on it? Course I wouldn't be surprised if some court said it was OK....never know.
Sure you can, happens all the time. Every bridge has a weight limit, for safety reasons, if you have a vehicle that is too heavy you can't drive on it. This is just an expansion of the safety limitation. They think hybrids are a safety issue and don't want them on their roads.

If it actually passed I'm sure some latte drinking, Prius driving, liberal from WA would cross the border just to push the point and take it to court.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Hybrid cars are the leading cause of smug.

M'kay.
M'kay. We don't need no smug alerts!

Old 12-13-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Firearms are considered separately from the commerce clause because of the 2nd amendment. In fact, very recently the courts have struct down restrictive handgun laws in DC and Chicago.
That's correct, but there is no amendment protecting specific classes of cars. Maybe the law needs to be revised a bit. You can own a hybrid, but first you have to get a permit from the city. Prove you need that particular class of vehicle. And while we're at it, you can OWN it on your own property, but you can't drive it on a public street. Sounds reasonable doesn't it?

Old 12-13-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
This is limited. If I'm travelling through NY then the Firearms Owner Protection Act applies and NY cops can't touch me.

Well they could but the ensuing lawsuit would be fun and financially lucrative.
You would think so, wouldn't you? There was a case a while back...a traveler is going from somewhere he could possess a handgun to somewhere he could, and traveling by plane (which is perfectly legal as long as it's declared and checked). His plane is diverted into NYC due to weather or a mechanical issue and he has to spend the night , then catch a flight the next day. When he tries to check the handgun for his new flight he was arrested for violating the cities gun laws.

So, maybe we tweak the law a bit. You can drive your Prius through on the interstate. But if you stop to buy gas, or have a breakdown and it is towed off the freeway, you can be arrested and the car confiscated. Oh, and we're not going to put out any signs, it's up to the driver to know the laws in our city.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,169,710 times
Quote:
No studies, just someone's opinion.

It's going to get interesting when someone driving through on the highway in their Prius is pulled over, fined and their car confiscated.
Opinions don't hold up in court and this is something that sounds like it is a fiction based proposal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies