Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 12:47 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times

Advertisements

be careful next time you see a nerd with a gun!!!! revenge of the nerds,, not joking..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I guess you think there's no such thing as PTSD, either. All those vets who were permanently scarred while fighting for you & me should just get over it.
Strange, when I was a kid there were no grief counselors, etc. Don't remember that many school shootings either. Get over it kids. Go back to school.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,822,450 times
It was wise and kind when the surviving kids were told to close their eyes as they exited the school. The rooms were most of the carnage took place will always be tainted. People will walk into those rooms and remember. Personally I would remove the whole building and create a park..but then I have a cowardly streak. I will nurse a dying person but on the moment of death - I don't want to be there...I stopped going funerals...I don't think I ever want to gaze upon another corpse again. In the alternative...The kids will forget...and the adults will never forget. Would it be useful to be reminded everyday of what took place in those rooms? I don't know. I don't want to know...the child in me now wants to forget.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:55 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
It was wise and kind when the surviving kids were told to close their eyes as they exited the school. The rooms were most of the carnage took place will always be tainted. People will walk into those rooms and remember. Personally I would remove the whole building and create a park..but then I have a cowardly streak. I will nurse a dying person but on the moment of death - I don't want to be there...I stopped going funerals...I don't think I ever want to gaze upon another corpse again. In the alternative...The kids will forget...and the adults will never forget. Would it be useful to be reminded everyday of what took place in those rooms? I don't know. I don't want to know...the child in me now wants to forget.

Cheshire memorial for the Petit family. - YouTube

Old 12-15-2012, 12:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Which does make them -- and this woman responsible.

Just like someone owning a vicious dog is responsible for his/her dog. If you own a stallion horse and don't keep it in a strong fence and it escapes and attacks someone riding by on a mare, you can be held liable.

I chose not to be a gun owner because by age 5, my kids could have broken into a combination lock by feel, they knew early how locks work and feel for the pins dropping, or found keys and tried them. Plus what good is a locked up gun in an emergency? So I did the responsible thing and didn't have a gun -- not because my kids are mentally ill -- but they're curious and get into things.

Nancy Lanza also had choices she made. She knew her son was "off". He wasn't working, he was into goth which in itself isn't bad but it should make a parent check into a few things. There are real goths and fake goths but the whole goth thing is about darkness and death. Definitely if one of my kids was seriously into goth or emo, I would be paying attention.
I'm sorry to inform you of this, but a 20 year old adult male is not the equivalent of "owning" a dog (or a horse). You don't own an adult, even one you birthed.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:58 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Owning firerams is more than a right..IT is A PRIVILEGE. This lady had a mentally disturbed, dirtbag pos son at home. Owning firearms is a great responsibility. Her irresponsibility led to the death of 20 children and 7 adults. As a strong supporter of conservationism and the 2nd Amendment, and realizing it's place in the formation of this nation, we cannot afford to have this go away. If one of your family members steals a firearm from you and uses it to maim others, you are subject to the same prosecutions and sentences that they are. No ifs ands or buts. It's time for people to take responsibility for their own. There are measures this woman could have taken to make sure that her little brat didnt get his hands on her firearms..it's not hard to do. She failed miserably. Every firearm owner in this land must set the highest standards for themselves, and if not they must suffer the consequences. We have this wonderful privilege, let's not give the knee jerkers any excuse to take away what the framers gave to us.
Had her son been a minor - she absolutely could be held responsible for his actions and be liable for same. I'm not sure about criminal prosecution but I'm thinking yes.

I'm wondering, had she lived, if she could still be considered legally responsible or negligent for allowing her (adult) allegedly mentally disturbed son to have access to her guns. However, as another poster indicated - perhaps they were locked up and he located the keys.

I reckon we will continue to learn more.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:01 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
I can imagine the pain those poor parents are trying to deal with right now and to make this into a political pissing match or watch the democrats try to turn this into a GOP blame game makes me ill. I will pray for the parents but I doubt that praying or anything will help them heal. Why don't the finger pointers just shut the f....k up for once?.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
The last post is more salient than some of you might otherwise suppose. The problem isn't guns or gun laws. Its mental health. In countries with less random violence, people are happier! What a concept. Give people enough access to self-fulfillment and they turn out... alright for the most part. The nut in Norway went off because he got fed up watching Norwegian women gang-raped ad nauseum by the offspring of political refugee's to little effect from the legislators. The ever widening opportunity gap in the U.S. is now reaching the kinds of levels that incite pushback. This kid is one of the canaries that indicate that society as a whole is fraying at the seams. The have's can continue to ignore the situation at their peril. A 20 y.o. with no job or at best some menial thing that barely provides for the necessities... ... a ticking bomb. When a bus driver causes an accident and 12 people are killed he is in a lot of trouble. When a school bus driver causes an accident and 12 children are killed he is dead meat. We have successfully ignored the gun debate because there has not been an incident in which 20 children were taken in so horrible a fashion. It was bound to cause an uproar. Gun proponents should respect that. This is no time to get behind the usual rhetoric. Let it lie. No one is coming for your guns but no one is going to let 20 children's memory go just like that and say... oh well... back to the same old... works for me.

H

Old 12-15-2012, 01:02 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I'm sorry to inform you of this, but a 20 year old adult male is not the equivalent of "owning" a dog (or a horse). You don't own an adult, even one you birthed.
If his mental illness was such that he could not be held responsible or could not learn right from wrong, then the mother should be responsible if she provided him access to weapons.

He may have had the moral IQ of a 4 year old, you'd be responsible if you gave any 4 year old, including one that wasn't your own minor child a weapon to use.

Why would this woman have kept dangerous guns in her home if she allowed this man to live there? Didn't she know of Connecticut's gun laws? No one is supposed to provide the psychos weapons to use.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:03 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Way too busy for me will all those liberal ladies trying to get their guns ...

Oh ... haven't you heard?

See ... even ladies have the intelligence to recognize what Obama is doing to our country.

Maybe you should reconsider your mainstream media stance ..

Women are gaining on men in the purchase of firearms for hunting and personal defense, according to the NRA and others. Thousands of women are learning how to shoot—and going hunting together, reports Shushannah Walshe.
Wow that is just fabulous. The killer's mother was the one who owned the weapons her son used. He got them out of her house.

Got any more brilliant ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies