Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 PM

519 posts, read 733,125 times

Advertisements

What kind of mental illnesses are we talking about here though? There's many different types of them, and not all people with mental illnesses are dangerous people. It's also an individual's responsabilty to seek help if they really feel they have a problem, or if the person is younger than 18 years old, than it's the parents responsabilty. But as I said, there is different types of mental illnesses. Somebody with anxiety problems doesn't have the same problems as somebody with schizophrnia, somebody with ocd doesn't have the same problems as somebody with bi-polar disorder. Sometimes people can have multiple mental problems too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,060,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
So coddling kids creates homicidal mass murderers? And here I thought it created spoiled brats. Where did you get your psychology degree from, Harvard??
If you mass produce spoiled brats that feel the whole world exists to make them feel good and have no concept of responsibility, then hell yes, you can expect these types of incidents to increase in frequency.

And I sure don't need Harvard or a degree to see this one coming.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:43 PM

30,152 posts, read 18,747,876 times
Quote:
Until we finally start having some serious discussion and problem solving, our society will continue to suffer. I understand that people feel uncomfortable about it and prefer not to deal with mentally ill people, but the reality is that it is a problem and will not get better until we start looking for solutions. The current system is broken and needs fixing, ASAP
Personality disorders cannot be treated. Many current inmates in prison have personality disorders; they will always commit crimes and participate in deviant activity. Personality disorders are not like an affective disorder, which may be amendable to medication.

If you run across someone who is so singularly irritating, self absorbed, and indifferent to others (yet sometimes charming) that is someone with a personality disorder. Run- they cannot be "cured" or "changed".

Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
Quote:
Until we finally start having some serious discussion and problem solving, our society will continue to suffer. I understand that people feel uncomfortable about it and prefer not to deal with mentally ill people, but the reality is that it is a problem and will not get better until we start looking for solutions. The current system is broken and needs fixing, ASAP
The problem in my opinion is drugs. Kids that act up are quickly doped up on some very serious drugs -- and their minds never develop right.

I highly suspect this kid has been on psychotropic drugs. These drugs mask serious problems, they do not cure them.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
What kind of mental illnesses are we talking about here though? There's many different types of them, and not all people with mental illnesses are dangerous people. It's also an individual's responsabilty to seek help if they really feel they have a problem, or if the person is younger than 18 years old, than it's the parents responsabilty. But as I said, there is different types of mental illnesses. Somebody with anxiety problems doesn't have the same problems as somebody with schizophrnia, somebody with ocd doesn't have the same problems as somebody with bi-polar disorder. Sometimes people can have multiple mental problems too.
I would suspect a mental illness that has been masked with drugs for many years.

Very likely he was doped up with ritalin and prozac when his true illness did not warrant those drugs. Kids are being diagnosed with mental illness as young as 3 years of age, and then kept drugged their whole life -- but the real underlying illness is never treated or addressed.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:01 PM

39,117 posts, read 51,366,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Personality disorders cannot be treated. Many current inmates in prison have personality disorders; they will always commit crimes and participate in deviant activity. Personality disorders are not like an affective disorder, which may be amendable tsounds o medication.

If you run across someone who is so singularly irritating, self absorbed, and indifferent to others (yet sometimes charming) that is someone with a personality disorder. Run- they cannot be "cured" or "changed".
that sounds like most of the right wing nut jobs on this forum...

Old 12-14-2012, 07:05 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,557,573 times
I will tell you some facts regarding the mental health system. In a large and general way it protects many, many people from the consequences of their behavior. In specific ways it keeps people who have made threats to harm others from incarceration. It keeps people who are dangerous to society on medication and out in the community, often without adequate supervision. Many of the clients of the mental health system are chronically suicidal and they are treated by a merrygoround of meds, therapy, hospitalization, etc. A few of these people are homicidal. Drugs, alcohol and prescription drugs are all part of the mix. The majority of the consumers of mental health are relatively harmless to others but a significant few are not.
Actually the mental health system is an extension of the liberal/progressive view and is part of the consequenses of such.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,715,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I'll tell you what we shouldn't do. Treat it if you can't afford it. Last thing we need is for me to pay for some lunatic w/ a gun collection to get counseling for his depression or medicine for his schizophrenia...
I agree, let's let them go off the deep end and kill 26 people. Or 32 (VTech). Or 12 (Aurora, CO).

Neocon logic, folks.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:10 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,941,017 times
We're not allowed to treat mental illness, that would require tax dollars and government spending.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:11 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,989,199 times
This country needs to start opening up mental hospitals again but have strict oversight of them instead of the lax regulations that existed before then. Right now, many people that need help can't get it because they can't afford it or there are not enough spaces at the local existing state hospitals. We also need to look at why we have so many mentally ill in the first place compared to other developed nations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
that sounds like most of the right wing nut jobs on this forum...
Lol good catch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies