Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

My uncle worked used to work for a unionized company. In addition to it being an overall miserable place to work, he told me about the inefficiencies that resulted from the union rules. There was a department that was still using 20 year old data center technology, in an effort to preserve the jobs for the people that worked there. It required 4 employees to be there 24/7. The department used two complete floors of the office building.

Other companies were using a single desktop computer to do the same thing. Something that could be done by a cell phone today.

Is that sort of practice good for our economy? Or is it insanity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 12:53 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times
your uncle was probably the janitor who blamed the union about him not being the president..

Old 12-14-2012, 12:58 PM

He worked in human resources, ironically enough.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:00 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
My uncle worked used to work for a unionized company. In addition to it being an overall miserable place to work, he told me about the inefficiencies that resulted from the union rules. There was a department that was still using 20 year old data center technology, in an effort to preserve the jobs for the people that worked there. It required 4 employees to be there 24/7. The department used two complete floors of the office building.

Other companies were using a single desktop computer to do the same thing. Something that could be done by a cell phone today.

Is that sort of practice good for our economy? Or is it insanity?
It's political reality. Special interests are concentrated and the general interest is diffuse. Small groups of people who highly benefit from something absurd can get it because the damaging consequences are spread out amongst so many people that none of those people can be bothered to fight against it. That's why you see unions demonstrating for benefits and the people who pay for those benefits remain unconcerned even when they themselves don't get equal benefits because the connection between the higher prices or taxes that will be required to pay for those outsize benefits will be spread out amongst thousands or millions of customers and/or taxpayers. And the politicians or business executives on the other side of the negotiations find it easier to simply pass the costs along to the public rather than deal with the strikes and unrest the union threatens, until the costs reach a point where they simply cannot be managed and then you get Greece or Hostess.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
He worked in human resources, ironically enough.
Ehhhh....you're not really making any sense. Besides, the story isn't believable. If i ask any anti-union person their opinions on unions, it always comes back to redundant personnel being retained for a job that one person could do or a machine could do or something like that. One of those standard boiler plate anti-union diatribes that anti-union types disseminate among themselves.

Besides, what does your uncle care? The HR people are rarely if ever in a union. What would he know about what's going on on the floor?

I don't know....just doesn't pass the smell test.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:07 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
In addition to it being an overall miserable place to work, he told me about the inefficiencies that resulted from the union rules. There was a department that was still using 20 year old data center technology, in an effort to preserve the jobs for the people that worked there.
Proof that the inefficiencies resulted from the union rules? My last (non-union) job was still using tech developed in the 1970s that never worked right to begin with. It was slow, buggy, and wasted everyone's time, but that didn't matter because we were still expected to get the work done, and of course there was no overtime pay.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:08 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,762,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
your uncle was probably the janitor who blamed the union about him not being the president..
I tend to agree

Old 12-14-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Ehhhh....you're not really making any sense. Besides, the story isn't believable. If i ask any anti-union person their opinions on unions, it always comes back to redundant personnel being retained for a job that one person could do or a machine could do or something like that. One of those standard boiler plate anti-union diatribes that anti-union types disseminate among themselves.

Besides, what does your uncle care? The HR people are rarely if ever in a union. What would he know about what's going on on the floor?

Okay, so you are a liberal. We get it.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Proof that the inefficiencies resulted from the union rules?
Absolutely. The union was a common topic among the employees who supported it, and they were apparently the most miserable to work with. My uncle only worked there because it was the only good job available to him at the time.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:12 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I agree, the uncle is not a union member but held a non-union position in a union company. Most likely was fired which happens frequently with those employed in non-union roles in a union shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies