Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you predict that federal laws pertaining to semi-automatic handgun ownership will become more str
Yes, but I'm personally opposed to new restrictions. 34 21.94%
Yes, and I'm personally in favor of new restrictions. 43 27.74%
No, I don't believe that new restrictions will be actually be enacted--I don't support gun control. 42 27.10%
No, and it's shameful that new restrictions won't be enacted--I'm in favor of more gun control. 36 23.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 10:12 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
And where do they get the guns from????

Downstate redneck straw buyers and from criminal's who break into people's homes...
Your point? Both are felonies.

Did you know theft of a firearm is a felony and you could get up to 10 years for it?

Enforce that law...we don't need more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
So the "facts" that you're citing regarding citizens protecting themselves (which is the question I asked) come from a "study" by a professor who is a gun lover. From Wikipedia:

Kleck has done numerous studies of the effects of guns on death and injury in crimes,[1] on suicides,[2] and gun accidents,[3] the impact of gun control laws on rates of violence,[4][5] the frequency and effectiveness of defensive gun use by crime victims,[6][7] patterns of gun ownership,[8] why people support gun control,[9] and the myth of big-time gun trafficking.[10]

Kleck conducted a national survey in 1994 (the National Self-Defense Survey) and, extrapolating from the 5,000 households surveyed, estimated that in 1993 there were approximately 2.5 million incidents in which victims used guns for self-protection, an average of 4.75 times per minute for each minute of the year, compared to about four hundred thousand crimes committed by offenders with guns.[11]

In other words, he makes up studies that confirm what he wants to say.

And your other two sources are right-wing gun advocate websites, which take actual data and insist that correlation is causation. Guess what? I learned right here on C-D that correlation does NOT equal causation, from all the rightwing nutjobs here who like to ignore data.

So I'm not buying that, either. There are a million reasons why crime may or may not have declined. More nuts buying guns might be one of a million. It might even not be.

Please give me some actual articles on such situations please, and from reputable sources, not gun lover websites that I cannot trust.

Not impressed.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
YES, it is.

More guns in the proper hands.

Hands that respect the basic morality of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

You will never keep guns out of the hands that do not respect those ideals. The solution is to put more guns in the hands of those that do.

Remember M.A.D. (mutually assured destruction)? When the one seeking to use offense to do harm, is pretty much assured that someone will stop him with equal, or potentially superior response....these episodes will stop. Unless, the deranged has a death wish to begin with. Then nature takes it's course, and culls that individual from society.

There are two sides to every story. Gun "control" advocates only present one side. The one they advocate.
When the other side is not presented, the side that is wins by default. I'm merely pointing out that there is a more rational way to look at the problem.

Nature has a way of correcting all problems. Ponder that for a bit.

YC.......
If you look at gang violence, most of it is young black men killing young black men that they are acquainted with after a conflict about drugs, territory, retaliation, or disrespect. All are armed. How are more guns going to solve that?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:31 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
In Chicago in certain parts it has more to do with high poverty and gangs that seem like the only option for the young people living in those areas. If Chicago is going to tackle the violence in parts of its city it is going to need to tackle poverty and how children are raised and educated in those neighborhoods while providing them a safe atmosphere to learn.
It's easier to point to an inanimate object (gun) and place the blame there than it is to make systematic changes. It's also easier to place blame than it is to accept blame.

Watching the rhetoric of the past election cycle was maddening. We're all so easily distracted by our so-called right to smoke pot, who should pay for our birth control, our so-called war on women, whether or not people should have to prove who they are in order to actually vote, whether or not we're helping or enabling people who are generationally poor. It's all self-involved and self-interested talk, talk, talk.

At some point we as a society have to accept that we are not doing right by our citizens (particularly our youngest citizens). The world isn't all about puppies and rainbows. Wanna smoke pot? No problem. Wanna force a small town to take a freakin baby Jesus statue out of the town square? No problem. Wanna give some 30 year old grad student a national platform to push for us to pay for her birth control? No problem.

Want to acknowledge that too many parents are not raising their children? Problem. Want to acknowledge that teachers are pushing their students through grades just to move them along, that people continually given more and more free stuff will and does create a nation of dependant citizens, that churches at least provide some kind of moral foundation and guidance about how to live your life, that you can't live in a country of over 300 million people and at some point NOT be offended, that the world is not about YOU and want YOU want, that our youth will find SOMETHING-ANYTHING to hold onto if we don't provide them something or anything? Problem. There are consequences to all of that. It's easier to blame guns than it is to blame ourselves.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:04 AM

1,684 posts, read 1,185,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
If you look at gang violence, most of it is young black men killing young black men that they are acquainted with after a conflict about drugs, territory, retaliation, or disrespect. All are armed. How are more guns going to solve that?
Let them kill each other off. It worked in Chicago in the 1920's and 30's. No one cared, they were gangsters.

Everyone elses firearm is to make sure they stick to their own.

It's just that simple.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:05 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Quote:
They are solving their own problem, amongst themselves. They are criminals, culling the weak from their ranks.

There will always be criminals. Sorry, but thats a fact.

The debate here is about curtailing the law abiding citizen their right to self defense. What happens when a gang member threatens you, or your family with a (presumably) illegal gun....and you have been precluded by law from having one to defend yourself with?

Race, by the way, has nothing to do with it. Human nature is human nature. You cannot legislate human nature away.

YC.......

Old 12-16-2012, 11:17 AM

819 posts, read 1,495,377 times
Worth the read. Guns are not the root cause.....new laws would not have stopped many mass murderers from killing. In fact I would argue that the body counts would be higher if they couldn't acquire a gun.

Madness, Deinstitutionalization & Murder » Publications » The Federalist Society

Old 12-16-2012, 11:29 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Gun legislation will be forthcoming because it is a link in the chain.
In order to understand the war on the Second Amendment you must first understand the agenda of the people behind it.
The real issue is the systematic undermining of the sovereignty of the United States.
The real issue is the implementation of the One World Order. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55325884,d.cGE
If you take the time to read the link above you will see that the New World Order is not the invention of a bunch of conspiracy theorists wearing tin foil hats, but the carefully planned and executed design of the most powerful of the elite.
They are not doing this covertly, but plainly telling everyone what their agenda is and step by step bringing their plan to reality.
The two steps necessary to achieve this goal with respect to the United States is to destroy the finances of the country and simultaneously undermine the contracts between the Citizens and the Government as outlined in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
The real brilliance of this plan is that they will convince the majority of public to do these things to themselves voluntarily.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:33 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,353,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
2nd Amendment and Rights of the people are more important !!!

Victims and their rights don't matter!!

We want guns in everybody's hands.. even 6 year olds! They can carry guns in their school backpack right next to the book about Cat with a hat!!!

We need more guns to protect from the guns that we already have with bad guys!!!!

Please make it more easier to buy!!!!
No doubt you own a Marx and Engels....komrade.

Is my M134 sufficient to stop a burglar or take down a deer? No and no!

Now I shall share my tale of woe!

A deer did dare to tread upon my land. My cannon did roar. I fired and fired and the deer disappeared. All I found was an ear. Another failure! I shall not sup this eve!

Enough of your whimpering, Gun-Snatch! Return to your Loyalist hovel.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:36 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
And the cry is never about stricter gun control. They acknowledged to themselves that these guns will be obtained anyway, law or no law. Instead the cry is for the "Black community to fix their young men".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies