Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 05:32 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I believe in shooting back.
I did have to LOL at that answer... but of course, when we're talking about children, they can't and shouldn't be packing heat. Do you think schoolteachers should be armed like pilots? What a sad world, if that really is what we need to start doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 05:33 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times

Old 12-16-2012, 05:37 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynewallace View Post
If you do not support stronger and better gun control, what the heck to you support?
I believe in gun control and many have stated my beliefs. What is your beliefs?
You register everthing else, to vote, to drive your car, to get ID....so?

no guntrol laws at all.

but lets talk about a car, since alot of people think that since you have to have certain things in place to drive a car, then why not for firearms.

In my state, if i want drive a car on my land, then I can buy a car of any type without insurance or license as long as I only drive it on my property.

I could go for that, let me buy real assault rifles, machingguns, hand grenades(not illegal t buy with a classII) and anything else i can afford, all without any background check or other goverment interference, as long as I only use them on my proprty.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I did have to LOL at that answer... but of course, when we're talking about children, they can't and shouldn't be packing heat. Do you think schoolteachers should be armed like pilots? What a sad world, if that really is what we need to start doing.

why shouldnt the teachers be armed? they arm them in other countries. maybe you have too much faith in man and the goverment to protect you.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
why shouldnt the teachers be armed? they arm them in other countries. maybe you have too much faith in man and the goverment to protect you.
I never said they shouldn't, I said that is sad... and it is, because it means our children are potentially in danger at school. What kind of sicko wants to hurt children?? Unfortunately those sickos do exist, and if arming teachers is the best solution, I have no real objection to that.

I have no faith in anyone to protect me except myself, my dog, and maybe a few friends & family members if they had to do so. I'm not a big government type, in fact I am a self-identified Libertarian. Now that I've made my personal positions clear, can we discuss the issue instead of each other?

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-16-2012 at 06:51 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 06:32 PM

691 posts, read 771,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Personal responsibilty for actions and protection of the public from people who are mental or criminla i their actions.The system now is to believe it was the knife:gun or bomb that caused the problem.

I prefer that people with mental issues that refuse treatment are removed from the general population. Also, it should be ILLEGAL for people who by law are prevented from using or owning a fiream from being within 100yards of one. That means if your kids are sick you need to move your weapons offsite AND if you refuse, you are required to carry a multi-million dollar personal liability insurance policy.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
How about birth control. No having children unless you can pass a test showing you're able to support and raise them in a positive manner.
You have to pass a test to become a citizen( or used to), pass testts to graduate school, get hired often times, get a drivers license. It seems like having and raising children trumps all of these.
It would seem so, yes... but if we're talking reality (I know, that pesky word again!), it would be impossible to draw these lines of "worthiness." For example, what would the financial limits be - $200K in savings, over $60K annual salary, 5+ years at one job, ??? And how about people who are genetically flawed, like those with a family history of cancer, diabetes, obesity, low IQs, etc?

This is treading into eugenics territory, really, and I personally don't want to be part of that world. If we can't trust the government to protect our children, how can we trust them to decide who HAS children? Besides, somebody has to take the "lower caste position" in every society, as we can't all be doctors and lawyers. Just some food for thought, even though I'm sure you were being facetious with this post.

Regardless, you did remind me of a (Keanu Reeves) quote from the old movie Parenthood: "You need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming a-hole be a father."

Old 12-16-2012, 06:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Now this is actually a valid point... I read a quote on FB the other day, which was attributed to Morgan Freeman, but now they're saying it wasn't him. Whoever said it, though, makes a VERY good point IMO. It's obviously not the ultimate solution, as gun (and other types of) violence will always exist, but I think it's worth considering - and if the media would listen, maybe we could see an improvement overall.

"TURN OFF THE NEWS.......

You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine? Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."
(I will try! How about you all? Instead of bickering over gun control and liberals vs conservatives, these might be more productive suggestions)
I'll bet you don't think that leaners have much effect on me but they have stopped much of my Fox watching because I don't want to get any stupider and they keep saying that watching Fox contributes to loss of IQ. Anyway, I always watch Fox News Sunday and have since many years ago when I watched it on local Fox. Anyway today I watched about 15 minutes about noon and what did they show? Why the names and ages of all the people he shot. Those teachers all tried to stop him but without any kind of weapons they were in a severe lack of force. What do you think they would have done if they had school supplied firearms. I think the principal would still be alive if she had had some kind of firearm to shoot back with. She did all she could as an unarmed woman, though.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:53 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
They wouldn't need to carry weapons if the school just supplied them and had a place to stash them outside the view of the kids. I surely do think that his numbers would have been much lower if all six of them had been able to shoot back, though.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:54 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
Curious: Which other countries arm teachers in the classroom?

Sandy Hook was a public school. Teachers are public employees.. Wouldn't this be asking the government to protect you? And by the way, on what planet is it not the government's role to protect citizens?

I really think some posters on here would prefer Somalia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies