Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
You're right about that, MSNBC has become the laughing stock of the news media. Every word out of their mouth is to call someone racist for not agreeing. It must be that CD members tune in to get their marching orders though because as soon as MSNBC says it, you see it posted on CD.

And it's almost cultish to see the CD worship. I live in a middle class area and mention Obama and they roll their eyes. I was shocked that our state went blue. It must be that "it's too hard for me to get a photo ID" law. People say they are not seen as equals but want special considerations. Now there is a thinker.
MSNBC is the exact same model as FoxNews IMO... and both sides watch and repeat what the see on these channels.

However, in my honest opinion the average MSNBC viewer is usually twice as educated as the average Fox viewer and willing to admit MSNBC is slanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:44 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
MSNBC is the exact same model as FoxNews IMO... and both sides watch and repeat what the see on these channels.

However, in my honest opinion the average MSNBC viewer is usually twice as educated as the average Fox viewer and willing to admit MSNBC is slanted.
Except that MSNBC doesn't make-up things and call them facts. Fox does.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
For couples, the top WH rate would be around 400k, 250k would see an increase, but not the max increase being reported.

My hunch is 250/400 ends up at 350/500. Otherwise, most likely, its cliff time, and after that, 250/400 will definitely stick.
I think 400K is fine for ordinary income. But what about capital gains and dividends? I read that they're talking about 20%. That's way too low and won't make the goal of making sure the top earners pay at least the same rates as the middle class.

Boehner has gotten Obama to negotiate with himself, again. Obama should have just waited. Time is on his side.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
It ain't over until the fat lady sings.
Boehner and Obama aren't really very far apart, but both have their constituencies to consider, so there's a delicate dance going on right now as to who and what will be conceded.

Nobody is going to be completely happy with the final outcome, period.

The time has run out. This coming Friday is the very last day a compromise can be negotiated, and a vote will have to be taken the same day to get everything passed through the Senate and signed by the President.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Boehner and Obama aren't really very far apart, but both have their constituencies to consider, so there's a delicate dance going on right now as to who and what will be conceded.

The time has run out. This coming Friday is the very last day a compromise can be negotiated, and a vote will have to be taken the same day to get everything passed through the Senate and signed by the President.
Also, Senate leaders said they won't go along with a plan that cuts Social Security. Obama is being too generous and the Senate can hold it up until next year when the Senate is even more Democratic.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:33 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Also, Senate leaders said they won't go along with a plan that cuts Social Security. Obama is being too generous and the Senate can hold it up until next year when the Senate is even more Democratic.
So, if a resolution reaches the Senate before the deadline but is still under consideration when the deadline occurs, is everything held as is until the Senate passes or defeats it?

I thought all the procedures needed to be complete and signed before the deadline to avoid the trigger. Am I incorrect? Just asking....

Old 12-19-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
So, if a resolution reaches the Senate before the deadline but is still under consideration when the deadline occurs, is everything held as is until the Senate passes or defeats it?

I thought all the procedures needed to be complete and signed before the deadline to avoid the trigger. Am I incorrect? Just asking....
If nothing is passed, the mandatory tax increases and spending cuts go into effect, which in my opinion, is better than Boehner's plan.

Then, when the new Congress takes office, the Senate can introduce a bill that cuts taxes for the middle class, that the House wouldn't dare reject.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:42 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's the problem. The right is very critical of Obama, for the wrong reasons of course, but the Left needs to be just as vocal and critical of him like the Right is. The criticism coming from the left is drowned out by the waves of lemmings that worship the Führer. Obama is an embarrassment to the legacy of FDR, JFK, and LBJ. His feet are nowhere near big enough to fill their shoes.
Just stop

Old 12-19-2012, 04:47 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,151,448 times
Quote:

Yes, I think both Boehner and Obama are under immense pressure from their respective sides. I think Boehner is under more pressure because he knows that Obama holds all the cards. Boehner is really under pressure from Republicans on the tax issue for rich people. I have a feeling that if it wasn't for that, we might have seen some compromise by now.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I think 400K is fine for ordinary income. But what about capital gains and dividends? I read that they're talking about 20%. That's way too low and won't make the goal of making sure the top earners pay at least the same rates as the middle class..
We actually are totally messed up on taxation on capital gains. We need ordinary capital gains which does not add to the amount of available funding for US investment taxed as ordinary income, but we should not tax IPOs or corporate bonds dedicated to building US plants, buying US machinery..at all.

To treat a stock sale the same as an IPO, and more special than ordinary income is luny.
Also, the carried interest tax provision should be eliminated. That should be taxed as ordinary income-there was NO investment by the one getting it!

Where I disagree with Obama is when JB said $1 mill and Plan B, Obama should have limited his existing offer to 12 hours before it expired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies