Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:35 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,306,876 times

Advertisements

I see nothing wrong with that do you?

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...group/DYf3pH2d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 12:36 PM

61 posts, read 95,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post

[URL]https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/legally-recognize-westboro-baptist-church-hate-group/DYf3pH2d[/URL]
why didn't westboro baptist church bother you before, w hen they were protesting at soldier's funerals? I don' tthink that bothers a lot of people on the left.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:54 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,681,526 times
I absolutely do see something wrong with it.

First off, there is no such "legal recognition as a hate group". It's a political label but it has no legal significance.

Second, and more importantly, this is a proposal to have the government single out one group for some kind of adverse treatment based on the religious or political views of that group. This is entirely antithetical to the First Amendment and the core values that underlie our system of government and way of life.

I take a back seat to nobody in my loathing of this organization. That is why they need and are entitled to the protection of the First Amendment.

There is no basis to claim that it isn't a bona fide church: plenty of church and religious groups espouse hateful ideas. Even churches that espouse hateful ideas are entitled to the protection of the First Amendment.

Similarly, if we start taking away rights from the Westboros because they express political views we don't like, where do we stop?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:54 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,666,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Tesla View Post
why didn't westboro baptist church bother you before, w hen they were protesting at soldier's funerals? I don' tthink that bothers a lot of people on the left.
for the same reason that now, maybe, the country will address the gun problem.

sometimes things get to a point that enough is enough.

what did you do when they were protesting funerals?

I thought is was disgusting, as I am positive the entire country thought it was disgusting.

EVEN PEOPLE ON THE 'LEFT'.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,709,358 times
Legally recognizing a hate group? No thanks. Free speech is free speech. You can call it hateful if you want, but we don't need the government telling us which thoughts are acceptable and which are not.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:22 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,678,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Legally recognizing a hate group? No thanks. Free speech is free speech. You can call it hateful if you want, but we don't need the government telling us which thoughts are acceptable and which are not.
But we most certainly need government telling us which marriages are acceptable and which are not. Right?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
But we most certainly need government telling us which marriages are acceptable and which are not. Right?
goverment doesn't tell you that. it only recognizes heterosexual marriage. you are petitioning government to recognize your type of marriage.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM

78,626 posts, read 60,809,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...group/DYf3pH2d
Um, it's a petition to muzzle the free speech of others. As dispicable and looney as the WBC is, this petition is about as bad as they are.

Consider supporting some groups that use legal means to prevent the WBC from completing their protests like the freedom riders and so forth.

Me personally, I think the WBC is a walking example to be tolerant and their message backfires on them.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,686,636 times
I do not like what they do, but they are protected under the 1st Amendment.

The 1st Amendment protects people whose opinions you do not agree with too....you know?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
for the same reason that now, maybe, the country will address the gun problem.

sometimes things get to a point that enough is enough.

what did you do when they were protesting funerals?

I thought is was disgusting, as I am positive the entire country thought it was disgusting.

EVEN PEOPLE ON THE 'LEFT'.
liberals say this after every shooting spree, but we always win the debate. you haven't made a logical case that yet another gun control law will prevent criminals and mentally ill people from killing people.

when the left complains about westboro, it's usually related to their stance on gays.

i think westboro is just out for attention, my belief is phelps just likes to irritate people by saying and doing schocking things. he has money funnelled to him by "haters" ...he makes a living on these haters he doesn't care anything about. It's all a big scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies