Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:04 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times

Advertisements

I'm really tired of it to be honest. It was fun when my kids were little but now it's just another month of obligations. Even the parties and get togethers...I'd much rather spread those out over the year instead of cramming them into one month, when I'm already annoyed at having to decorate and plan special meals and find yet another "white elephant" gift or ugly sweater. I don't hate Christmas, I'm just weary of it. I planned it this year to have one dinner on the 24th and another on the 26th. The 25th itself? Les Miz and sushi .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 11:10 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
Yes it does. You are being dishonest or you are one of those that has the money and gift eye and like how it belittles others. Dinners at work,charities and then in January the bill comes and everyone feels like s%^&.
Sound like you need to make some changes in your life. I can't relate to a thing you're posting here.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:01 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
We have made Christmas simple.
My partner and I don't give each other gifts, instead we go buy something we both want, but wouldn't normally splurge on.
Last year it was a high end coffee maker with all the bells and whistles, this year it was a sound system for the game room, and a cool new chair.
We set a dollar amount for each of the kids, and stick to it.
For everyone else I bake, make candy, and assemble gift boxes. We ran about $15 per person this year, and the boxes were very nice. Gingerbread, biscotti that was dipped in chocolate, hand made chocolate covered cherries, a hand painted coffee cup, a candle that smells like coffee in a tiny cup, homemade kahlua, caramel and chocolate covered pretzels, and chocolate dipped spoons for coffee.

Generally my shopping is done before Thanksgiving.

You have to learn to take the stress out of Christmas.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm really tired of it to be honest. It was fun when my kids were little but now it's just another month of obligations. """"""

Just Say No..... there is No law that forces you to do this ....do your loved ones really want this for you?? Do you want to pass this on to them???

"""Even the parties and get togethers...I'd much rather spread those out over the year instead of cramming them into one month, when I'm already annoyed at having to decorate and plan special meals and find yet another "white elephant" gift or ugly sweater. I don't hate Christmas, I'm just weary of it. I planned it this year to have one dinner on the 24th and another on the 26th. The 25th itself? Les Miz and sushi .
That's a great point about SPREADING out all this fuzzy/warm stuff over the whole year.....

It is SO phony when it's got an start date and an expiration date.

Forced fun is fun???

Stress is fun?

Old 12-21-2012, 07:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Christmas has turned into a materialistic consumer orgy.
I see Christmas decorations up in October in some places.
Halloween and Thanksgiving take a back seat; Thanksgiving itself has turned into the "First shopping day of Christmas" and has practically lost all it's meaning.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:39 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
I love Christmas. Not every single minute - especially shopping for certain people.

But nothing is better than Christmas morning, even with kinda grown kids. Cup of coffee, music on the stereo, and patiently going through the presents watching what everyone gave to each other. The time each person invests in Christmas is just part of the commitment to family. And then we look forward to a great dinner later in the day.

Yes we are happy.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:46 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
I have a no gift exchange policy with 99% of my friends. Works out just fine. We throw a party that everyone can enjoy, and the price of admission is donation of kids toys or pet food to be donated.

I know many people and couples who have a "no gift policy" and choose to instead go on a cruise at Christmas, or buy something they both want.

Christmas doesn't have to be commercialized unless you make it that way. But let's be real, Christmas is NEEDED for our economy to stay afloat. No Christmas, no sales, no jobs, and then you'll REALLY be miserable!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:22 PM

397 posts, read 257,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
This society knows nothing about the true meaning of Christmas. Its not about what you get, its about the birth of Jesus, its about being around people you love and about being glad to be alive. The problem is people, especially my age group, expect things. Christmas has been made to be nothing more than a day where people get stuff and a fat old jolly man comes down the chimney. Its a very sad state, but being with family and friends is worth it.
The last day I saw my beloved Aunt alive was on Xmas. I will cherish my family. Sometimes I just wish it was just letters to each others and food.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I stopped doing Christmas when my mother was practically keeping a mental balance sheet of who gave what to whom and she criticized me for sending "just photos" of my kids to my brother who gave me something expensive. So I told her I would not participate anymore and now I just ignore the holiday and am happier for it.
See this is what makes it suck. The mental balance sheet.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
YOU used the personal pronoun "I" 8 times in this short rant. Christmas isnt about you. If you cant find a way to spread happiness and joy during Christmas without spending money then YOU need counseling

I get tired of whining victims
You are part of the problem. I can tell you are a well off person with a keen gift eye and just love the BS the rest of us go through. Do this. Hold yourself to 200 bucks period and see how jolly you feel. BTW everybody on these boards whine.

What makes you so special
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies