Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 06:35 PM

885 posts, read 1,882,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, I think the LEVEL of gifts expected these days is what's causing people stress... I mean, there are 10 year-olds putting iPads on their wish lists, and actually getting them in some cases! As you said, whatever happened to dolls and toy trucks?

I love hearing stories from older people, regarding what they got for the holidays "way back when." Just the other day I was talking with a library patron, who's probably in his early 70s, and he was telling me about the best Christmas gift he'd ever received - a handmade wooden truck from his (now deceased) father. To me that's more special than some $500 electronic toy, and I bet they'll forget the iPad sooner than this man forgot his little wooden truck. :*)
my 11 year old cousin had:

1. Iphone
2. Macbook pro
3. New ipod

as her first three.

Why ? because all her 11 year old friends got iphones for their birthdays this year.

W-t-f is wrong with these parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 06:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Well if you use the day to celebrate materialism then yes it is bad. If you use it to celebrate family and friendship, it's pretty great. I come from a well-off family but there's never any expectation that Christmas gifts need to be high-value.
EVERYONE uses it to celebrate materialism. Jesus hasn't had a damn thing to do with Christmas in a century if not longer.

And please don't tell me that I'm wrong and many people still celebrate it because of blah, blah, blah, cuz that's a lie.

It's a commercial holiday. Folks need to get over it.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:56 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
as a carpenter I make all my gifts,my new grandaughter just got a beautiful doll cradel that matches full size one her mom was rocked in that I made and saved and gave to her mom for her to be rocked in. you dont need lots of money to put time and thought into giving to others you need heart and love. sure with this poor economy I am broke but I have my skill and share it. freaking hundred dollar electronics or sneakers say that like fast food for Christmas dinner.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:25 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
EVERYONE uses it to celebrate materialism. Jesus hasn't had a damn thing to do with Christmas in a century if not longer.

And please don't tell me that I'm wrong and many people still celebrate it because of blah, blah, blah, cuz that's a lie.

It's a commercial holiday. Folks need to get over it.
Yep... and then they whine about the clerk at Wal-Mart saying "Happy Holidays" (as opposed to "Merry Christmas"), as they spend money they can't afford on crap the recipients probably won't appreciate. All I can say is that I'm always happy to be Jewish this time of year! For one thing, unlike the masses, I won't be broke come December 26th.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
as a carpenter I make all my gifts,my new grandaughter just got a beautiful doll cradel that matches full size one her mom was rocked in that I made and saved and gave to her mom for her to be rocked in. you dont need lots of money to put time and thought into giving to others you need heart and love. sure with this poor economy I am broke but I have my skill and share it. freaking hundred dollar electronics or sneakers say that like fast food for Christmas dinner.
And guess what? I bet 20-30+ years from now, your granddaughter will remember that very special gift... unlike most kids, who won't be able to tell you what they got 6 months from now. Whether you're broke or rich, I always think "gifts made with love" are the best kind!

Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Yes, I think the LEVEL of gifts expected these days is what's causing people stress... I mean, there are 10 year-olds putting iPads on their wish lists, and actually getting them in some cases! As you said, whatever happened to dolls and toy trucks?

I love hearing stories from older people, regarding what they got for the holidays "way back when." Just the other day I was talking with a library patron, who's probably in his early 70s, and he was telling me about the best Christmas gift he'd ever received - a handmade wooden truck from his (now deceased) father. To me that's more special than some $500 electronic toy, and I bet they'll forget the iPad sooner than this man forgot his little wooden truck. :*)
My grandpa used to have a woodshop in his garage and he always gave us wooden trucks and cars and the like for Christmas. I still have em all to this day.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Yep... and then they whine about the clerk at Wal-Mart saying "Happy Holidays" (as opposed to "Merry Christmas"), as they spend money they can't afford on crap the recipients probably won't appreciate. All I can say is that I'm always happy to be Jewish this time of year! For one thing, unlike the masses, I won't be broke come December 26th.
True post , I loved it...

(Does this make up for all the years I lied and said I was Jewish so I could get out of the company Christmas parties?)

Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
my 11 year old cousin had:

1. Iphone
2. Macbook pro
3. New ipod

as her first three.

Why ? because all her 11 year old friends got iphones for their birthdays this year.

W-t-f is wrong with these parents?
I know, it's pretty crazy! My 3yo nephew and 5yo niece know how to use i-devices (it's kinda creepy how skilled they are), but I can bet they won't be getting their own anytime soon... and they have the money to afford fancy gifts, they just wouldn't find that appropriate for a child (even an older one). At least I hope not.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:34 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,033,284 times
Now were talken thanks gismo and Ku life is good

Old 12-21-2012, 08:14 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
Its all about disappointment. people without money are made to feel like s%^&. Poor kids are made to feel twice as worse as usual. Women laugh at how men squirm to not be embarrassed by their gift choices. The household budget be damned. Its all about regret and making people feel like S^&*.
Sounds like you need a new woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies