Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 11:22 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
my 11 year old cousin had:

1. Iphone
2. Macbook pro
3. New ipod

as her first three.

Why ? because all her 11 year old friends got iphones for their birthdays this year.

W-t-f is wrong with these parents?
I dunno...

I was lucky to get a GameBoy 1st Generation with Tetris when I was 11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 12:32 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
Its all about disappointment. people without money are made to feel like s%^&. Poor kids are made to feel twice as worse as usual. Women laugh at how men squirm to not be embarrassed by their gift choices. The household budget be damned. Its all about regret and making people feel like S^&*.

Sorry to hear you feel that way, but it need not be that way. I look forward to it, with the best part being at work, we sponsor a family each year, find out what the kids want, what the parents need, and we get it done. Anonymously. We'll never know who they are; they will never know even what company we work at. Last year, I convinced some of the group to pay their winter electric bills, after the holiday, again anonymously, using a charitable org to keep the identity of both sides a secret.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:00 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default It must be hard being you

It's the best time of the year. Beautiful, warm music, as long as you stick to the classic versions. I love the classical music versions most of all. Great Christmas memories, especially as a kid. Kids are happy and appreciative, feel good about being on break. Great food and family closeness around the fireplace. My mom and dad are still alive. So are all of my brothers and sisters. Incredible wife. Beautiful Christmas tree and lights on the house. Neighborhoods are lit up, people are in the best mood of the year generally. Best way to end the year and start anew.

I don't watch all the crap on TV, so I miss all the stupid commercials. I generally don't watch TV since most of it is incredibly trite, corny, and stupid. I spend virtually no time in malls, fighting traffic, and standing in line. All of my gifts are purchased online from only a few select places. I send cards and money. Great time of the year to give.

Great year also, since President Obama kicked Romney's arse and Pubs are reeling and imploding!

I hope your life and perspective improves.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:15 PM

397 posts, read 257,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
It's the best time of the year. Beautiful, warm music, as long as you stick to the classic versions. I love the classical music versions most of all. Great Christmas memories, especially as a kid. Kids are happy and appreciative, feel good about being on break. Great food and family closeness around the fireplace. My mom and dad are still alive. So are all of my brothers and sisters. Incredible wife. Beautiful Christmas tree and lights on the house. Neighborhoods are lit up, people are in the best mood of the year generally. Best way to end the year and start anew.

I don't watch all the crap on TV, so I miss all the stupid commercials. I generally don't watch TV since most of it is incredibly trite, corny, and stupid. I spend virtually no time in malls, fighting traffic, and standing in line. All of my gifts are purchased online from only a few select places. I send cards and money. Great time of the year to give.

Great year also, since President Obama kicked Romney's arse and Pubs are reeling and imploding!

I hope your life and perspective improves.

I have a great perspective starting about 24 hours from now when all the disappointment has happened. I enjoy the family time when I don't have to work. Although this year most companies are working the slaves the very next day....so there is another disappointment.

I guarantee you if you look around tomorrow you will see let down all over the place. I was out today and seen so many with that deer in the head lights look. Wait until tomorrow when any gift under 50 bucks gets the WTF look. Oh yeah this so much better than thanksgiving

Oh yea go President Obama

Old 12-24-2012, 08:08 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
I have a great perspective starting about 24 hours from now when all the disappointment has happened. I enjoy the family time when I don't have to work. Although this year most companies are working the slaves the very next day....so there is another disappointment.

I guarantee you if you look around tomorrow you will see let down all over the place. I was out today and seen so many with that deer in the head lights look. Wait until tomorrow when any gift under 50 bucks gets the WTF look. Oh yeah this so much better than thanksgiving

Oh yea go President Obama
Well, "cheap" gifts are exactly what I'll give tomorrow, $15 to the 4-year old niece, $10 to the one year old and $40 to the 18 yr old nephew. It doesn't really get noticed since it doesn't compete with the smorgasbord that their parents give them, nor should it. My sister will give some other inexpensive sweater that I'll probably never get to use since it doesn't get too cold down here in Texas anymore. Same old shee-at every christmas.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:59 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Its all about disappointment. people without money are made to feel like s%^&. Poor kids are made to feel twice as worse as usual. Women laugh at how men squirm to not be embarrassed by their gift choices. The household budget be damned. Its all about regret and making people feel like S^&*.
People who are single without family close-by feel like more s#&@, trust me. I am spending my first away from my mother and the second one since my father passed away. Hell, I didn't even go to my church's Christmas Eve service because I don't want the fact that I am pretty much alone thrown in my face being surrounded by families. I just want this holiday to be over.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:04 AM

397 posts, read 257,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
People who are single without family close-by feel like more s#&@, trust me. I am spending my first away from my mother and the second one since my father passed away. Hell, I didn't even go to my church's Christmas Eve service because I don't want the fact that I am pretty much alone thrown in my face being surrounded by families. I just want this holiday to be over.
I'm sorry about all that. It just proves my point. Disappointment. I have spent many Xmas days working. The boss never comes in but you damn well better be there. So now I'm off and guess what, many relatives that were here on those working Xmas days have died. But hey at least the monarchs get to enjoy it right GOP? What the hell do we continue to do this for

BTW no one around me even knows I feel this way. They have not had my experiences with Xmas and could never understand my feelings. Oh well, if all stays the same next year I will be at work on Xmas and get to pretend that all is well. Its just another day. I will still have to spend lots of money on credit but at least the Romneys of the world will be super happy

Old 12-25-2012, 06:50 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Christmas is a two edged sword. I'm a spiritual person and always hold out hope to see a change in the world , to see a miracle. But we never do, Christmas after Christmas. I've taken that to be a personal test of faith between me and The Lord. Still, I am beginning to lose faith in man. The world is becoming a cold and cruel place and this country is definitely failing when you look at our culture and society and particularly those who have seized control of the government and economy. Oh, well. I still love the trappings of Christmas, the decorations, the songs, food, traditions, the festivities and the Lore of it. But they rush it so fast after Halloween now and then Christmas is here and its over the next day. To me, the Christmas Season does not end until a little past New Years. There should be no rush to take it all down, late December and early January are cold and bleak and we need something to tide us over until the first signs of Spring.
I don't see the consumer aspect of it. You give gifts out of the spirit of giving and any gift should be okay. I've seen people going crazy buying gadgets and TVs and its like people get manipulated into a buying frenzy they don't understand and cant control. Not me. What did Scrooge say? Buying things they have no use for and have no money for. And that was said over 150 years ago.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:58 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
I'm sorry about all that. It just proves my point. Disappointment. I have spent many Xmas days working. The boss never comes in but you damn well better be there. So now I'm off and guess what, many relatives that were here on those working Xmas days have died. But hey at least the monarchs get to enjoy it right GOP? What the hell do we continue to do this for

BTW no one around me even knows I feel this way. They have not had my experiences with Xmas and could never understand my feelings. Oh well, if all stays the same next year I will be at work on Xmas and get to pretend that all is well. Its just another day. I will still have to spend lots of money on credit but at least the Romneys of the world will be super happy
"""If all stays the same" ?????

What ? you're paralyzed???

Instead of whining and making a big deal of a certain day in the year that only stupid people make a big deal of...why not spend the next 11 months , getting out, making friends, smiling and being kind to everyone(that attracts people, it attracts friends), learning a new skill or hobby that puts you in contact with other interested (interesting) people, ...and find the humor in everything, it IS in everything,

YOU can CHANGE you and you'll be surprised how your LIFE changes.....wallow in gloom and you will always wallow in gloom...

Old 12-25-2012, 07:14 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
I'll admit it. If I didn't have kids I probably wouldn't celebrate but since I do I will forever. And ever. Until I die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies