Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 12:35 PM

397 posts, read 257,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
A lot of people get the holiday blues because they don't have family or money to partake in the celebrations. Instead of feeling sorry for yourself why don't you use the holiday to donate your time at a soup kitchen or retirement home? Then you will see people far worse off than you are.

If you're not interested in working charity then please seek professional help for your depression. We don't want you to turn into another mass murderer.
Not an NRA member sorry. Was even offered a free membership last time I bought a gun and I turned it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
I used to like it, when my family got along and we'd all go to my uncles house xmas eve, check in with our year and then see each other on xmas day.

Then my father and uncles got in a fight over money and houses and it hasn't been the same since.
See disappointment.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
A lot of people get down at Christmas. It's a busy and stressful time and there is pressure to keep up with the Joneses.

Also - it's particularly hard for single people or people that have lost family members. You can get the feeling that everyone is at one big Christmas party - except for you.

My first Christmas after my Mom died was extremely hard - she was the glue that kept our extended family together. Slowly, I learned to create my own traditions with my own family - even if they weren't as elaborate.

This Christmas will be a little sad for me too. My son is leaving on Christmas day for a training trip with his swim team. So - just weird. We aren't traveling back to our hold hometown and Christmas morning will be all about packing and him getting ready to go.

A far cry from the starry-eyed child waiting for Santa! Christmas changes when the kids grow up.

I think of others who have it so much worse than I do this holiday season - including all those that have lost loved ones - parents, children, brothers, and sisters. I will be grateful for what I have this year. Very grateful.
I am grateful,don't get me wrong but I just hate the pressure. I'm in a position were much is expected. So performance is on me.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Oh, goodie. Another get-em-worked-up troll thread.
No its not backspace and you know it.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I agree with many of you. Lets face it the Hap Happiest Time of the year, is the most stressful for so many.

It is stressful, in every way, kids today have higher expectations of gifts, the tec gadgets, and all. Too many people still out of work, and that is depressing in itself. Trying to find the time, to get everything done that needs to get done.

It is very depressing for those who have little money, but you know the holiday is not just about gifts, yes we give them, but family time is more important. You give of yourself what you can, and what you can afford. It is the thought that counts, and is appreciated.

For those who are creative, make your gifts, i know many women who bake for the holidays, fantastic baked goods, and put them in baskets, with ribbons of green and red.

I think so many people feel the added stress of the holidays, lets face it, shall we Christmas has become so commercial, and to me has lost of some it's meaning.

Please just be grateful, to share in the love with those you love.

I am sad tonight, my brother just called just now, and told me my sister inlaw's retina detached from her eye, and her eye started rolling into her head. She is right now having emergency surgery, and i am a wreck. So i don't believe it is just about the gifts, but the gift of life, and love, and family!
I agree with you but in reality when you walk in empty handed you feel and look like loser. Thats what it has become.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,584,802 times
Default I admit it. Xmas is my most favorite Holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
Its all about disappointment. people without money are made to feel like s%^&. Poor kids are made to feel twice as worse as usual. Women laugh at how men squirm to not be embarrassed by their gift choices. The household budget be damned. Its all about regret and making people feel like S^&*.

I'm so old that the gift-giving just hardly registers with me any more. Unless there are kids involved. Then it's fun.

But I've always loved the midwinter holidays. The weeks from Dec 1st to Jan 2nd just seem special.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:59 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,679,379 times
I don't remember last time I gave anyone Christmas presents. I do not understand the purpose of waiting in line outside of a store on Black Friday just so I can save money on stuff I don't need in the first place.

I look back at all my last Christmasses and I can't tell you what presents I got but I do remember little things about the holidays, moments that I will never forget... And that is what matters to me. All the good times I got to spend with my grandparents who raised me for example...ever since they passed things haven't been the same. They were poor and couldn't afford to buy me anything but it never mattered to me.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Sound like you need to make some changes in your life. I can't relate to a thing you're posting here.
Great for you.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:35 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
Its all about disappointment. people without money are made to feel like s%^&. Poor kids are made to feel twice as worse as usual. Women laugh at how men squirm to not be embarrassed by their gift choices. The household budget be damned. Its all about regret and making people feel like S^&*.
I think you just need some milk and cookies. Here ya go:

Old 12-21-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
We have made Christmas simple.
My partner and I don't give each other gifts, instead we go buy something we both want, but wouldn't normally splurge on.
Last year it was a high end coffee maker with all the bells and whistles, this year it was a sound system for the game room, and a cool new chair.
We set a dollar amount for each of the kids, and stick to it.
For everyone else I bake, make candy, and assemble gift boxes. We ran about $15 per person this year, and the boxes were very nice. Gingerbread, biscotti that was dipped in chocolate, hand made chocolate covered cherries, a hand painted coffee cup, a candle that smells like coffee in a tiny cup, homemade kahlua, caramel and chocolate covered pretzels, and chocolate dipped spoons for coffee.

Generally my shopping is done before Thanksgiving.

You have to learn to take the stress out of Christmas.
Wow this is a great idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies