Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 04:16 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times

Advertisements

Where people fall in line on guns very much aligns with the rest of their political philosophy. For instance. Republicans value self-reliance, and self responsibility. They value individual freedom and liberty. Therefore, they value gun ownership as well.

Democrats value a more communal approach. They are the "it takes a village" crowd. They value the good of the group over the good of the individual. Their policies are, shall we say, friendlier to a government dependence and reliance philosophy. Therefore, they favor stricter gun laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
In this case, I personally think the Buddhist
perspective is more evolved - NOT KILLING anything for any reason is the highest
moral and ethical standpoint a person can take . . .and if you believe in karma,
you would not WANT to kill . . .
So just so I am understanding this correctly.....

You find it morally superior for a woman to be raped / beaten / murdered, as opposed to being able to stop her attacker by shooting and killing him?

I just want to get you on the record. A yes or no will do.
Quote:
Of course if you are obsessed with guns and need a
phallic symbol to make you feel secure

Oh, see? Now you went and showed your bias with such a ridiculous and childish comment.. It's obvious you didn't want your post to be taken seriously after that.. I quit reading at this point, because frankly, you couldn't have said anything objectively, and thus, not worth my time.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikekat View Post
I want health care to be regulated, does that mean I am anti health care or want to reduce it
Your post assumes the false premise that guns aren't already regulated. In fact they are one of the most regulated consumer products in this country. There are over 20,000 laws in effect nationwide regulating guns.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
99.9% of Christians, Muslims, Jews, etc. don't operate from a higher spiritual perspective. They are all too much in love with the themselves and their egos to see the clearest and plainest of truths concerning man's purpose: to be selfless. It is a just a fact; it's not a criticism. This is why religions fails over and over and over again.

I know a few sincere Christians, but they couldn't be on a more wrong path. They're so weighed down my materialism, ego, greed, etc. that they can't see the light - the "real" way to happiness.

Many Evangelical Christians are strong advocates of the death penalty as well as gun rights. When you read the Gospels, you would think Jesus would be their greatest enemy.

When one is fully selfless as Jesus was, then there is no doubt on why it is always wrong to kill.
Same question to you..... Is it morally superior for a woman to be beaten / raped / murdered as opposed to being able to defend herself from her attacker?

Old 05-01-2015, 04:35 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest. - Ghandi

He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Old 05-01-2015, 04:56 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
My thought is that a Buddhist doesn't inherently hate anything, that a Buddhist believes in the individual's path and not force, and that a Buddhist would therefore not support gun control. Buddhism is a libertarian philosophy, not a state control philosophy. Telling people what items they can and cannot own doesn't seem very Buddhist to me.
Yes and no. If you read the Dhammapada Buddhists are called to oppose injustice, crimes against others, immorality, unnecessary violence. There are things Buddhists hate ... certainly the mass murders in Pol Pot's Cambodia was hateful. Nowhere is the Tathagata (the Buddha) against the military, or self defense, law and order, etc. You are right that that no Buddhist could argue on religious or philosophical terms against firearms.

I am a Buddhist. I am an American of Eur-Asian ancestry and I follow the Theravadin tradition of Buddhism and have made pilgrimages to Buddhist holy places not only in India and Nepal, but Tibet, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, China, Japan, etc.

I am an American citizen and I support the Second Amendment and the right of citizens to own firearms. My parents and grandparents served our country in both World Wars and many relatives served in Korea and Vietnam.

Convicted felons and people with certifiable mental illness being denied access to firearms does make sense to me, however.

I want people to know that I support the Second Amendment.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:56 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikekat View Post
Never said guns were not regulated. I suport regulating alcohol, does that make me anti beer
Beer is regulated...
Keep trying...

Old 05-01-2015, 05:13 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post

A Buddhist inherently hates anything that is violent, but given that banning guns is not likely nor would it be pragmatic, the most pragmatic thing to do in this case is to prevent it, as much as possible, from falling into the wrong hands.
You really should read the book "Buddhist Warfare" and then go to the blog and read: DowntheCrookedPath

You might be surprised.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post

My thought is that a Buddhist doesn't inherently hate anything, that a Buddhist believes in the individual's path and not force, and that a Buddhist would therefore not support gun control. Buddhism is a libertarian philosophy, not a state control philosophy. Telling people what items
they can and cannot own doesn't seem very Buddhist to me.

Yes and no. If you read the Dhammapada Buddhists are called to oppose injustice, crimes against others, immorality, unnecessary violence. There are things Buddhists hate ... certainly the mass murders in Pol Pot's Cambodia was hateful. Nowhere is the Tathagata (the Buddha) against the military, or self defense, law and order, etc. You are right that that no Buddhist could argue on religious or philosophical terms against firearms.

I am a Buddhist. I am an American of Eur-Asian ancestry and I follow the Theravadin tradition of Buddhism and have made pilgrimages to Buddhist holy places not only in India and Nepal, but Tibet, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia, China, Japan, etc.

I am an American citizen and I support the Second Amendment and the right of citizens to own firearms. My parents and grandparents served our country in both World Wars and many relatives served in Korea and Vietnam.

Convicted felons and people with certifiable mental illness being denied access to firearms does make sense to me, however.

I want people to know that I support the Second Amendment.
As to opposing injustice, now that in the Dhammapada I did not know. Thanks for informing us.

I support the Second Amendment as well. And while I am not a republican, I can certainly understand their fear of losing their guns.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:40 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Every gun purchase should have an accompanying criminal background check and should include inquiries into the buyers mental health history.
Bus them all to the polling booths to get those democrat votes in of course!

Old 05-01-2015, 07:02 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Every gun purchase should have an accompanying criminal background check and should include inquiries into the buyers mental health history.
Do you also agree that other Bill of Rights articles should also be taken away from the mentally ill? For example trial by a jury of his peers? For example a jury of mentally ill Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies