Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 10:15 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,480,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Almost every homophobe I've ever met has been religious. Religion is the driving force behind anti-gay sentiment based on the butchering and abuse of the English Bible. Gays are treated like modern day witches.
Then you need to meet more people. I've met both religious and non-religious homophobes. And my experience is that the non-religious ones are worse. The religious ones I have met generally don't want homosexuality to be accepted in society. The non-religious ones I've met feel the same way, but then take another step beyond that and actively hate gay people. That's not to say I haven't met hateful religious homophobes but they are absolutely the minority. With secular homophobes they are the majority.

One problem is the "agree with me or you're evil" attitude that has taken over the left these days. They assign sexism, racism, and hatred where there is none. For example, should a Christian parent say they don't want a gay person teaching their child, the leftist will interpret that to mean the Christian parent hates gay people. When it's really that the parent doesn't want their child to be taught by someone who goes against the religious teachings they want to instill in their child, and the parent may not care at all what the teacher does in his or her bedroom.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:16 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,073,844 times
Doesn't matter as gays are using the "gay card" like the "race card" now. You don't agree with Obama your a racist. You don't agree with someone who happens to be gay your a homophobe. That is how the mind of the deranged left operates.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,020,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Then you need to meet more people. I've met both religious and non-religious homophobes. And my experience is that the non-religious ones are worse. The religious ones I have met generally don't want homosexuality to be accepted in society. The non-religious ones I've met feel the same way, but then take another step beyond that and actively hate gay people. That's not to say I haven't met hateful religious homophobes but they are absolutely the minority. With secular homophobes they are the majority.

One problem is the "agree with me or you're evil" attitude that has taken over the left these days. They assign sexism, racism, and hatred where there is none. For example, should a Christian parent say they don't want a gay person teaching their child, the leftist will interpret that to mean the Christian parent hates gay people. When it's really that the parent doesn't want their child to be taught by someone who goes against the religious teachings they want to instill in their child, and the parent may not care at all what the teacher does in his or her bedroom.
I've met plenty of people here in Texas and met one that claimed to be an atheist. One single guy in all my life. . All the anti gay people I know claim to believe in God. So we don't need to "get out more".

Old 12-22-2012, 10:20 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,713,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Doesn't matter as gays are using the "gay card" like the "race card" now. You don't agree with Obama your a racist. You don't agree with someone who happens to be gay your a homophobe. That is how the mind of the deranged left operates.
It's not like there are people who are strategically targeting gays or anything like that....why are they so thin skinned? White male, gun humping christians have way more to fear, ain't I right?

Old 12-22-2012, 10:22 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,806,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I've met plenty of people here in Texas and met one that claimed to be an atheist. One single guy in all my life. . All the anti gay people I know claim to believe in God. So we don't need to "get out more".
The most Godless countries in the world are China, Japan, Korea... And none of them has gay marriage.
In China and Japan, over 90% claim to be atheist.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:23 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,819,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
They are just conservative and do not want to see rapid change.

Any political issue has supporters and objectors. For example, war on terror.
You can't say either side must hate America blah blah.
Except we have seen conservatives are always on the wrong side of history. Sitting around, waiting for Conservatives to accept change on their own leads to decades of people being oppressed.

If Conservatives had their way, interracial marriage would still be illegal, men could still legally rape their wives, women would not own property or be able to vote, segregation would still be legal, gays would still be imprisoned or tortured, etc.

Conservatism is oppressive and destructive absolutely everywhere it exists.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,308,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The most anti-gay people are not likely to be atheist. They are likely to be Christian in name only, not the devout, church going type. You are likely to find them in the bars every weekend hooking up with loose women.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The most Godless countries in the world are China, Japan, Korea... And none of them has gay marriage.
In China and Japan, over 90% claim to be atheist.
Japan will probably pass same-sex marriage in the near future.

You're ignoring places like Norway, Sweden, Denmark. I'd say they're less religious than Japan or China and have had same-sex marriage for awhile.

You also have to factor in Eastern cultures view it differently than Western.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
And its being waged by dogmatic liberals like yourself who are no different than school-yard bullies. There is no tolerance. "Believe as I do, or shut your mouth, or else be destroyed."
Oppressive beliefs don't deserve tolerance.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:27 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,073,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Except we have seen conservatives are always on the wrong side of history. Sitting around, waiting for Conservatives to accept change on their own leads to decades of people being oppressed.

If Conservatives had their way, interracial marriage would still be illegal, men could still legally rape their wives, women would not own property or be able to vote, segregation would still be legal, gays would still be imprisoned or tortured, etc.

Conservatism is oppressive and destructive absolutely everywhere it exists.
Ah yes the good old days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies