Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,150,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
Well, I've lived in countries with tons of guns (USA), and countries with almost none (Australia).

Australia, a country of 23 million people, had 30 gun homicides in 2009.

The US state I currently reside in, Nevada, has a population of 4 million people, and had 400 gun homicides in 2009. That's roughly 78 TIMES the rate (per capita).

Guess which country I feel safer in?

You feel safer there, but you live here? Explain that.

You compare gun homicides to gun homicides. How many total homicides for the year. Is a person any less dead from being killed with a knife, brick or baseball bat? How about violent crime as a whole? How about muggings, rapes, burglaries, robberies, etc.?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:40 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
Well, I've lived in countries with tons of guns (USA), and countries with almost none (Australia).

Australia, a country of 23 million people, had 30 gun homicides in 2009.

The US state I currently reside in, Nevada, has a population of 4 million people, and had 400 gun homicides in 2009. That's roughly 78 TIMES the rate (per capita).

Guess which country I feel safer in?
Hmmm....like another poster already asked....wouldn't you have prefered to stay inAustralia? You also live in the rectal area of NV. Where 98% of violent crime here happens. Vegas also has the most restricive firearms laws of NV municipalities. CCW laws prevent one from carrying in areas you would most want to. Vegas is nothing more than a tendril of the cyst of CA entwined into us. I don't feel safe, at all, when I am in the Vegas area. It's an armpit. Conversely, I feel quite safe in Elko, anx dont usually even carry there. I do in Reno/ Carson, but even so, I feel far better there than I ever could in Vegas. There is a huge contrast twixt Vegas and NV as a whole. Vegas is its own planet.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:45 AM

Here is the type of gun control I will go along with and advocate.

A prisoner gets parole. While on parole, he is subject to search on demand, body and premises. Any forbidden weapon sends him back to prison, plus additional 1 year sentence for each weapon. Periodic searches should be conducted at random.

Anyone charged with a "possession of firearm by a felon" statute gets no bail. Sits in jail until trial.

Anyone convicted of a violent gun crime may not own a gun for 5 years after completion of his last sentence. He may request restoration by submitting 5 written references. Anyone convicted of 1st degree murder, rape or assault may not be allowed this process.

This type of gun control has no effect on honest citizens & protects citizens from criminals.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Who the heck care what the 'world' thinks?

Russia is plagued with alcohol related drownings. So what. Their choice. Go tell it to Putin.

Being the world's policeman by global decree sets the stage as the global community knows firearms were integral tools in the early exploration and settlement of our country. It is a proud heritage.
Just so happened America was founded after the development of firearms where the 'old country' was already settled.

A review of history is replete with lessons of cabals where citizens were disarmed in the name of safety to impose unwanted political agendas. Of course no one can believe this could happen here.

Widespread gun ownership allows the electorate to at least be theoretically feared by its government if not respected. And we are certainly not respected by our collective elected representives and current 'president' whose behavior is reminiscent of communist and nazi take overs.

Germany, Belgium. Italy, Spain and many other eastern Euro countries would go broke if we stopped buying their guns.

The world prtobably wonders why so many criminals ignore the strictest firearms legislation and no one does anything about it.

The world wonders why so many people are murdered in places like Chicago and Newark, not by law abiding gun owners but criminals who are known repeat offenders and forgot to renew their subscription for the latest gun laws.

The world thinks we are fools for passing meaningless firearm legisltaion.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,508,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
From a Canadian perspective i'll never understand Americas obsession with gun ownership and no matter how many tragedies occur the gun owners answer is more guns are needed and those that call for less guns are shouted down vehemently.
Obviously most people around the world saw the news of the recent school massacre in the USA,
What are your thoughts?

PS. The contributions and resultant poll results in this topic are particularly disturbing to me.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...your-semi.html
There is no obsession with guns in America. That's a media creation.

The worst school massacre in U.S. history was in Bath, Michigan and didn't involve a gun.

There are 25 million kids in publik schools in the U.S. on any given day. Since 1995 less than 400 have died by gun fire while at school. It would be nice if that number were zero, but to act like there are to may guns or they are too easy to obtain because of school shootings is ignorant. It's scare tactics by the anti-gun crowd. Same with people saying every school needs an armed guard.

Schools are extremely safe. I would walk into any school in America right now and not be the least bit worried about getting shot.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 AM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
There is no obsession with guns in America. That's a media creation.

The worst school massacre in U.S. history was in Bath, Michigan and didn't involve a gun.

There are 25 million kids in publik schools in the U.S. on any given day. Since 1995 less than 400 have died by gun fire while at school. It would be nice if that number were zero, but to act like there are to may guns or they are too easy to obtain because of school shootings is ignorant. It's scare tactics by the anti-gun crowd. Same with people saying every school needs an armed guard.

Schools are extremely safe. I would walk into any school in America right now and not be the least bit worried about getting shot.
No obsession with guns in America? You have to be kidding!....Just look at the number of threads about guns on this forum...It is a sickness with some of you people.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
From a Canadian perspective i'll never understand Americas obsession with gun ownership and no matter how many tragedies occur the gun owners answer is more guns are needed and those that call for less guns are shouted down vehemently.
Obviously most people around the world saw the news of the recent school massacre in the USA,
What are your thoughts?

PS. The contributions and resultant poll results in this topic are particularly disturbing to me.
I visited Canada (southern Ontario) in the late 70's, I was impressed. Met lots of great people. Didn't hear this kind of dribble. Sad thing if this is the typical attitude there now.

I know dozens of people who have various types of semiauto firearms. They have owned them for years and never harmed a soul. Explain to me how each person giving up their semiautos would save a child's life?

I also recall the 60's when handguns were the only concern. The do gooders didn't care about rifles or shotguns, no long guns at all. It was those evil handguns. Later, the emphasis was on cheap handguns, the "Saturday Night Specials". HCI put out literature claiming the average gun on the streets cost about $35. Closest I ever saw to that was about $50 for a broken single barrel shotgun that needed a lot of work. Later, it was "assault rifles", then .50 caliber rifles, then semiauto guns of all descriptions, then military look alikes, etc. The list grows ever longer. BTW, semiautos have been around for over a century and became very common about the 1950's or so. They are nothing new.

If you don't like our "gun culture", why did you move to the US?

Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
What are your thoughts?

BTW, this is among the stupidest polls I have ever seen. The poster himself says "not to say that a ban would save one life or a thousand", but checking the morality of gun owners. How crass that he can ask a stupid question & use the answers to judge someone's morality.

Again, I ask how a person who has never harmed anyone with his guns would save anyone by giving them up? I ask you this in return. Are you willing to take my guns away and leave me defenseless against a possible home invader? A robbery or mugging attempt? Several businesses in my area have been robbed the last few years and a clerk was killed. These are places where I do business. I could have walked in on any of the crimes. An assault on my wife or daughters? Are you happy that a woman's parents were killed at Luby's in Texas because she could not have her gun with her? She left it in the car, per law at the time. She may have been able to save her parents and/or some other victims.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
No obsession with guns in America? You have to be kidding!....Just look at the number of threads about guns on this forum...It is a sickness with some of you people.
The sickness is with our citizens that have the same disease you have spread in Canada. You have perverted the national thinking of a fine nation. Many Americans still treasure liberty. The teeth of that liberty lie in the Second Amendment. Without right to bear arms, other liberties would quickly follow down the drain. Don't want a gun? Don't own one. Leave your neighbor alone to do as he sees fit. See my post today on the form of gun control I would go along with, that only affects criminals.

BTW, I suspect you have not heard the last of Canadian gun owners. They may yet rise up against your politicians and stand up for their liberties. You will likely wet your pants the day that happens.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
The sickness is with our citizens that have the same disease you have spread in Canada. You have perverted the national thinking of a fine nation. Many Americans still treasure liberty. The teeth of that liberty lie in the Second Amendment. Without right to bear arms, other liberties would quickly follow down the drain. Don't want a gun? Don't own one. Leave your neighbor alone to do as he sees fit. See my post today on the form of gun control I would go along with, that only affects criminals.

BTW, I suspect you have not heard the last of Canadian gun owners. They may yet rise up against your politicians and stand up for their liberties. You will likely wet your pants the day that happens.
Give me a break, I'm a gun owner myself..... There is no shortage of guns in Canada, but we can't just go to walmart, or a gun show to buy whatever we want....We must take a firearms safety training course first....What is your objection to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies