Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 09:49 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,051,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Never said it was the most dangerous job in America BUT those with dangerous jobs expect danger correct? If someone said to me "there is a .00000001% chance you could be shot at your desk at work" I wouldn't ask for an armed guard nor expect to be told to get weapons training to defend the lives of hundreds or thousands. I would chalk that up to pretty good odds of me not getting shot at work.
If the odds of a school shooting occuring are so small, then why is President Obama insisting on gun control legislation in response to the Newtown shooting?

According to you, there is only a .00000001% chance of such an event occuring.

So, why the rush to ban guns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 09:50 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,949,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If the odds of a school shooting occuring are so small, then why is President Obama insisting on gun control legislation in response to the Newtown shooting?

According to you, there is only a .00000001% chance of such an event occuring.

So, why the rush to ban guns?
There shouldn't be a ban on the guns. When did I ever say that? I said it's not the job of the federal government to tell local governments what to do. I also said a Private school can do whatever it wants with tuition money. Where did I ever say anything about banning guns??

Old 12-26-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Once again you are playing the part of soothsayer. You have no clue what any person would do in any situation. Trained Police Officers have done dirt. Same with trained military and civilians. People are people. Some do bad. Some do good. You have no clue who is going to what what in every single situation.
Your solution is to send children to school entirely unprotected - and to allow a Adam Lanza to murder them at will.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaComm View Post
i simply suggest its better than tuning our attention away and never learning from this tragedy, history is full of people making the same mistakes over and over again, i suggest a change... it's better than doing nothing
Our president was originally elected on the promise of hope and change.

So far, he has delivered neither.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Your solution is to send children to school entirely unprotected - and to allow a Adam Lanza to murder them at will.
My solution is to let local government handle it how they see fit. If they choose to put armed guards in schools then fine. If they choose not to then fine as well.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
My solution is to let local government handle it how they see fit. If they choose to put armed guards in schools then fine. If they choose not to then fine as well.
OK.

You and I don't differ much in our view.

Perhaps we only disagree on the role that the president should play.

I only call on the president to advocate for security in schools. No force or federal action is neccesary.

I only want the president to get his priorities straight and to not ignore the constitution.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,785,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
When did Obama call for a ban on all guns?
Obviously Obama doesn't want guns banned for the elite as he considers himself to be -- or he'd have SS agents that are unarmed. And obviously he wants his aristocratic children protected by guns -- but that's because he's a filthy rich man who believes his money and power entitle him to what the little people cannot have.

Pretty rotten to expect he should be entitled to what the peons cannot have--- and that is sel-defense and protection.

31,767 posts, read 28,860,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaComm View Post
i simply suggest its better than tuning our attention away and never learning from this tragedy, history is full of people making the same mistakes over and over again, i suggest a change... it's better than doing nothing
The problem is that most of you are refusing to learn from this tragedy, and those before it. Tell me, why is it not an issue at all that Adam Lanza got access to four guns and enough ammunition to kill hundreds in a matter of minutes? Why do you believe that having an armed teacher guarantees safety of everybody in the classroom? Criminals adapt.

Quote:
OK.

You and I don't differ much in our view.

Perhaps we only disagree on the role that the president should play.

I only call on the president to advocate for security in schools. No force or federal action is neccesary.

I only want the president to get his priorities straight and to not ignore the constitution.
That took way too many pages

Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 AM

11,154 posts, read 10,735,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The problem is that most of you are refusing to learn from this tragedy, and those before it. Tell me, why is it not an issue at all that Adam Lanza got access to four guns and enough ammunition to kill hundreds in a matter of minutes?
No the problem is that you want everyone to see things from your point of view. We don't. While it is an issue that he had access to those guns, it is a very minor issue compared to what actually caused him to want to use those guns in that manner. Deal with the mental illness and criminal mentality of the perpetrators to address crimes like this. Don't do it by blaming the inanimate object that was used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies