Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 11:09 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,861,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am very sure that you don't understand that Green can just shut down his deal with the insurer if he has to pay for the day after pill as Obamacare says he does. He can just shut down his deal with any insurer and then, if necessary, shut down the business. I wonder how many jobs that would cost just so our Obama government could force him to go against his morals. Look at what is happening, and maybe you can see what you are being told.
Let Mr. Hobby Lobby close his stores over birth control, he is free to do so. He won't! Mr. Hobby Lobby already imports many of his products from China where birth control and abortions are mandated.

Hobby Lobby is Going to Hell | The Road Upward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 11:10 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,315,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Mr. Hobby Lobby is not paying for the birth control. The insurance company is. BIG difference!
For you and other non-readers of links I provide this paragraph for you to read. The Greens are paying for the insurance, or at least part of it. You want to say that they don't pay for the morning after pill but who is to say that they don't? You people just can't see that it may be the company's money that paid the insurance company. You don't get to decide that any more than the administration does.

They also provide their employees with a generous self-insured health care plan, and they even operate an on-site, cost-free health clinic at their corporate headquarters. But, guided by their Christian faith, the Greens believe that human life begins at conception and that aborting on unborn life is wrong. In keeping with this, they do not cover in their employee health plan abortions, abortion-inducing drugs or IUDs that prevent implantation of an embryo.

If you can't see anything else please look at the first sentence of this quote.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:11 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,965,809 times
Quote:
How much you wanna bet that Mr. Hobby Lobby chooses $$$$ over his religion or closing his stores?
I hear you!

It's all a tempest in a teapot. The Obama Administration is not forcing the man to convert to another religion or anything like that. Mr. Hobby Lobby, it seems, is just angry about the passage of the Affordable Care Act and Obama's re-election and is trying to pick a fight. A pretty lame one at that.

Same thing happening with some clown in Annapolis, Maryland who refuses to serve legally married same-sex couples - now that Marriage Equality has come to that state - on his buses or trolleys.

Oh, it's a religious smokescreen about contraception and abortion and religion, etc. ad nauseam ... but it's all a bunch of nonsense from a reactionary.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Beside the point, every time I have visited Hobby Lobby I have only seen elderly women working there. I think Mr. Hobby Lobby is trying to make an issue for himself when there isn't one.
I will say that the Hobby Lobby my wife forced me to go to with her today hires a whole bunch more people in their late teens and early 20s than old ladies. I am always surprised at how that breaks down when we go into that place.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,136,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Yep, you don't know the difference between a for-profit corporation and a non-profit religious group.

As for the rest of your post, this has already been explained to you what would happen to them if they simply tried to close their doors, it would not go well for them.

Nice try...I suppose the estimated 3.4 million job loss's advised by the CBO out of decisions by corporations effected by Obama care is next. Things won't go well for them, is that it, because thats the root suggestion.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
If they are stupid, they would shut down. Large corps revolve around rolling credit, which involves covenents where the corps' ability to use this money revolves around their cash flow. Close the stores, cash flow evaporates, all covenents expire, and the banks hold liens on all the assets.

Oh yes, that would be brilliant.

And if they try to sell it given their stance, no buyer would offer more than pennies on the dollar. It would be like a Foreclosure sale, a desparate move by the seller. Again, covenent is broken, bank gets the full proceeds, plus the family still OWES the difference in all liklihood.
AND 13,000 people are without a job. Maybe they have enough money to pull this one off and are just wanting to pay the Obama administration for this law that was unconstitutionally written and passed. Do you know what I just said and why I keep saying it?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:16 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,996,179 times
Quote:
AND 13,000 people are without a job. Maybe they have enough money to pull this one off and are just wanting to pay the Obama administration for this law that was unconstitutionally written and passed. Do you know what I just said and why I keep saying it?
No, the jobs would be added at his competitors, while HL would be bankrupted and worthless by violating bank covenents.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,236,620 times
Quote:
For you and other non-readers of links I provide this paragraph for you to read. The Greens are paying for the insurance, or at least part of it. You want to say that they don't pay for the morning after pill but who is to say that they don't? You people just can't see that it may be the company's money that paid the insurance company. You don't get to decide that any more than the administration does.

They also provide their employees with a generous self-insured health care plan, and they even operate an on-site, cost-free health clinic at their corporate headquarters. But, guided by their Christian faith, the Greens believe that human life begins at conception and that aborting on unborn life is wrong. In keeping with this, they do not cover in their employee health plan abortions, abortion-inducing drugs or IUDs that prevent implantation of an embryo.

If you can't see anything else please look at the first sentence of this quote.
Oh good, you read the article which means you must of read these paragraphs too.
Quote:
Hobby Lobby is a for-profit, secular employer, and a secular entity by definition does not exercise religion,” said Acting Assistant Attorney General Stuart Delery in a filing submitted in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Oklahoma.
Because Hobby Lobby is a secular employer, it is not entitled to the protections of the Free Exercise Clause or RFRA [the Religious Freedom Restoration Act],” Delery told the court on behalf of the administration. “This is because, although the First Amendment freedoms of speech and association are ‘right[s] enjoyed by religious and secular groups alike,’ the Free Exercise Clause ‘gives special solicitude to the rights of religious organizations.’”

In keeping with Delery’s argument, the Washington Post, as a corporation, can use its First Amendment-protected freedom of speech to write editorials in support of the Obama administration imposing its contraception mandate on businesses like Hobby Lobby. But the members of the family that created and owns Hobby Lobby, because they formed Hobby Lobby as a corporation, have no First Amendment freedom of religion that protects them from being forced by the government to act against their religious beliefs in providing abortion-inducing drugs.
Like I said, they could pay 200% of their employees' insurance plan, that does not exempt them from obeying the law because they are in fact a for-profit corporation....do you understand what I am saying to you?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You should read your own link because the answer you seek is written in it.

If they wish to be protected by the RFRA, then they are gonna have to stop chasing the Benjamins and start chasing the Jesus.

The whole thing about "corporations are people" isn't really that true.

They should really learn how to separate business from their personal religion because businesses tend to run better when you do that.
Yep, money is all they see. They do the Jesus thing you mentioned in that they do not allow one store to be open on Sunday. They do so many things that are Christian and that is what you don't like, and you know it.

You did notice that the man who said those words was an assistant to our Attorney General, didn't you? Did you read any more of the link than these words that work so well for you?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,861,601 times
Mr. Hobby Lobby need to realize this:

Quote:
Being the boss ends when the shift ends.

And you don't get to determine what people do in their personal lives, whether that be if they have sex, whom they have it with, or the circumstances under which it occurs. That is simply NONE of the boss's business.

And the Boss has no place in the Doctor's office. You see those kind of ownership issues when away with the emancipation proclamation. You don't OWN your employees. You Hire them.
Daily Kos: No More Hobby Lobby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies