Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government stay out of marriage?
Yes 57 80.28%
No 14 19.72%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times

Advertisements

Keeping the government out of marriage is like keeping government hands off Medicare. Government sanctions marriage. Keeping the government out of marriage would also mean 10 year olds can marry. Someone has to make the rules and that's the gov't.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:30 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Doesn't matter what anyone, "thinks" or "feels" about this particular subject, the fact is, the less government intrusion we have in our lives, the better. Get the flippin' government OUT of our lives!
When you choose to be a part of a society, you CANNOT rule out having to deal with "evil government". What you can do, however, is get government out of personal lives.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:32 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I feel strongly the government should have nothing to do with personal life choices and decisions, unless they hurt others. Gay marriage (which as most know I do not personally support) should be up to the couple and the church. The only difference between legal unions and actual marriage is the religious ceremony. This should be up to clergy to decide if they want to perform the ceremony or not. Even SS benefits should go to a surviving partner, regardless of the sex of that partner. Actually that is about the only benefit not allowed today..Even the argument about privacy, every individual has the right to decide who can be given information about his/her health..
While on the surface it makes sense, beneath it all, it is the governments responsibility to make sure everyone is given equal opportunity. Marriage is one of those opportunities. Gay people pay the same taxes and should be afforded the same opportunities as heterosexual couples whether it be marriage or just shacking up. Sometimes you do have to step on toes for the greater good.

Also, government wouldn't be needed in this instance if the people didn't try to force feed their own personal beliefs into the personal lives of others. As long as that happens, there needs to be some type of regulation. So until Americans mind their own business, government will always have to intervene but since no one is going to do that, you get what you get.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Actually marriage has always been a civil contract. That's why city hall issues the marriage licenses.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
[FONT=Arial]There's been a lot of talk in the last month about gay "marriage" and making it legal for them to "marry" and many people think it should be "legal" to get married. How about getting the government out of the institution of marriage?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Why do I believe marriage should be a personal issue and not a federal or state issue? The definition of marriage have been redefined so many times over the decades. A lot of couples have started treating marriage like a business instead of a commitment. Marriage is one-sided with the government involved and I believe it would be hard for a couple if they decide to split. The government (yes, divorce courts are run by the Govt) has invented alimony and no-fault divorce. Apart from marriage, the government is also involved in cohabiting couples after 10 years and that would be considered a common-law marriage in certain states. It would be hard for cohabiting one to split too and one might lose their property.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]With the government involved in marriage, I believe more people will be reluctant to marry or live together in upcoming years.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Now I know many liberals and conservatives will disagree. Many will question "What about the benefits". I honestly could careless about the "benefits". I believe people should be free to marry without governmental interference (no licenses or certificates, or worries about whether the marriage is legal or not).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]So do you believe the government should stay out of marriage and cohabitation?[/FONT]
Marriage is a legal institution with, and properly so, rules, to wit, laws.

For example, there are restrictions on who can marry.
iFor example, a parent can't legally marry a child, nor siblings other siblings for Forst or sometimes, Second Cousins.

People can't marry non-humans, and a human can't marry more then one other human, nor somebody of the same sex.

These restricitons exist for genetic and health reasons, as well as to provide some foundation of reasonableness and sanity to a major construct of society, i.e. the familly.

That is why, undoubtedly, there are many who want to attack the instituion until it either doesn't exist, or has no teeth, or even, perhaps gums.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:41 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Doesn't matter what anyone, "thinks" or "feels" about this particular subject, the fact is, the less government intrusion we have in our lives, the better. Get the flippin' government OUT of our lives!
So you support massive tax cuts, ending programs like Soc. Sec. Medicare, Welfare, Food Stamps, WIC etc., etc,. etc., and cutting the budget to 25% of its current level???

Glad to hear it.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,622,187 times
Yes..

Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
When you choose to be a part of a society, you CANNOT rule out having to deal with "evil government". What you can do, however, is get government out of personal lives.
Oh for God's sake, it should have been pretty evident that was what was meant.

I give people too much credit on here in the brains department, apparently.

Next time I'll write in a patronizing and condescending way so that there is no question, whatsoever, regardless of CONTEXT, with what I meant.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:49 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
So you support massive tax cuts, ending programs like Soc. Sec. Medicare, Welfare, Food Stamps, WIC etc., etc,. etc., and cutting the budget to 25% of its current level???

Glad to hear it.
Yes.

At the rate those programs are going, they'll be gone in the future anyway.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:57 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,483,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
There's been a lot of talk in the last month about gay "marriage" and making it legal for them to "marry" and many people think it should be "legal" to get married. How about getting the government out of the institution of marriage?

Why do I believe marriage should be a personal issue and not a federal or state issue? The definition of marriage have been redefined so many times over the decades. A lot of couples have started treating marriage like a business instead of a commitment. Marriage is one-sided with the government involved and I believe it would be hard for a couple if they decide to split. The government (yes, divorce courts are run by the Govt) has invented alimony and no-fault divorce. Apart from marriage, the government is also involved in cohabiting couples after 10 years and that would be considered a common-law marriage in certain states. It would be hard for cohabiting one to split too and one might lose their property.

With the government involved in marriage, I believe more people will be reluctant to marry or live together in upcoming years.

Now I know many liberals and conservatives will disagree. Many will question "What about the benefits". I honestly could careless about the "benefits". I believe people should be free to marry without governmental interference (no licenses or certificates, or worries about whether the marriage is legal or not).

So do you believe the government should stay out of marriage and cohabitation?
The trouble is, if the government "stayed out of marriage," marriages would have no legal meaning. That can have serious negative consequences for people in long-term unions. I'll give just 2 examples.

Inheritance. Being legally married allows one partner to inherit the other's property automatically,and without paying inheritance taxes. If marriage had no legal meaning, persons other than the spouse could lay legal claim a deceased partner's property. This has happened often to gay couples.

Debt protection. In my state (Illinois) and many others, a married couple's primary residence can be purchased under a rule called Tenancy in the Entirety. I won't go into all the legal details, but what it means, in a nutshell, is that if either partner falls into debt, their creditors cannot force the sale of their home to pay that debt. This is an incredibly important legal protection, and it is only available to people who are legally married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies