Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,244,094 times

Advertisements

Christie blasts Boehner on Sandy bill: "Shame on Congress" - CBS News

After taking a public shaming from Gov. Chris Christie, R-N.J., House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, relented today to hold a vote this Friday for one of two aid packages aimed at providing relief for states hit by superstorm Sandy.

"There's only one group to blame for the continued suffering of these innocent victims: The House majority and their speaker John Boehner," Christie told reporters in a press conference today. "Last night, my party was responsible for this."

"I called the speaker four times. He did not take my calls," he said. "All I can tell you was this was the speaker's decision -- his alone."

Christie decried the decision as "unprecedented," "outrageous," and politically motivated.

"I think, unfortunately, folks are putting politics ahead of their responsibilities," he said. "It's absolutely disgraceful... It's why the American people hate Congress."

Last night politics was placed before our oaths to serve our citizens. For me it was disappointing and disgusting to watch," he said. "If the people of New Jersey feel betrayed today by those who did this in the House last night, then they have good company. I'm with them."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Good for Christie, looking out for his state instead of playing politics like the rest of the Republicans. My guess is that the GOP will never let him be president now.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
He doesn't hold back and says what's on his mind. He's impressively transparent for someone of his size. Glad to see that the speaker is taking his words seriously.

It made no sense to avoid voting on a bill that has majority bipartisan support.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:52 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,147 times
Even Christie recognizes the absolute lunacy of this GOP party. But of course now he'll get shunned by the establishment for speaking out. Keep up the good work, GOP house!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Christie blasts Boehner on Sandy bill: "Shame on Congress" - CBS News

After taking a public shaming from Gov. Chris Christie, R-N.J., House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, relented today to hold a vote this Friday for one of two aid packages aimed at providing relief for states hit by superstorm Sandy.

"There's only one group to blame for the continued suffering of these innocent victims: The House majority and their speaker John Boehner," Christie told reporters in a press conference today. "Last night, my party was responsible for this."

"I called the speaker four times. He did not take my calls," he said. "All I can tell you was this was the speaker's decision -- his alone."

Christie decried the decision as "unprecedented," "outrageous," and politically motivated.

"I think, unfortunately, folks are putting politics ahead of their responsibilities," he said. "It's absolutely disgraceful... It's why the American people hate Congress."

Last night politics was placed before our oaths to serve our citizens. For me it was disappointing and disgusting to watch," he said. "If the people of New Jersey feel betrayed today by those who did this in the House last night, then they have good company. I'm with them."
Elections have consequences. Christie slobbered all over Obama right before the election, and made Sandy a political issue, setting Obama up to look like the big savior. Too bad Obama is nowhere to be found, to help the Sandy folks now that the election is over.

The bill was full of pork, much of which has nothing to do with NJ or NY. And Christie wants the entire country to foot the bill for the hurricane, 100%. THAT is what is unprecedented, outrageous and politically motivated. Maybe if FEMA did their freaking job, they wouldn't be in such dire straights.

I feel for those folks. But to blame Boehner? Nope.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
The Speaker got what he wanted. The House Majority Leader, had scheduled the vote. The supporters of the Sandy relief bill had the votes. There was no reason to pull the bill. But the Tea Party and other conservative Republican members who had voted against the fiscal cliff deal were certain to be outraged by this bill being passed immediately after the fiscal cliff bill. Boehner, in pulling the bill, mollified a certain segment of his party. And he fully expected that the President, and the governors of the states involved, and their entire delegations from those states, would put up an outcry at the bill being pulled from consideration at the last moment. Now Boehner gets to say to his Tea Party delegates, "See, I'm on your side. I tried to stop this bill. Christie and the governors and the senators and all your fellow delegates FORCED me to let the bill get voted on. It passes, it's not my fault. I'm really with you guys." And he needs to do this. This is part of his job, as Speaker, to unify his party. He voted for the fiscal cliff bill--moderates on his side. He made a gesture of conciliation to the Tea Party that he also needs on his side. Especially with the next Congress knocking at the door. This was political theater, pure and simple.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Somebody tell Christie to stop grandstanding. LOL. This guy sure wants to be president.

"The aide cited assurances from FEMA that there are sufficient disaster response funds to last through March, and Boehner told New York and New Jersey members that the disaster relief package will be his number one priority in the new Congress and will happen within the month"

Don't worry folks you'll get your money. That is all anybody cares about anymore. Gimme....gimme....gimme.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Sorry regardless of what Boehner and the crooked congress does,there is no money to bailout Jersey

Old 01-02-2013, 03:04 PM

That GOP party isn't going to unify anytime soon. Speaker has lost all control. The party is all over the place!

Old 01-02-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sorry regardless of what Boehner and the crooked congress does,there is no money to bailout Jersey
Helping disaster victims is a bail out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies