Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 01:21 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times

Advertisements

The most productive result here would for Hobby Lobby to allow the continuous fines to put the company out of business. That action would drive home to all communities and employees concerned with the company that the current administration really has no concern to business needs.

This economy is now owned by the OBomba Group. No more blaming BushCo. Let them have it. Once the foul stench of government interference has been cleared from the air, businessmen and women can start over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 01:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Or let some employees go, shift a whole bunch from full time to part time, and drop healthcare coverage to make up for it, or start charging the employes enough money to cover the costs of the fines.
So fire all the women? That would make for an interesting lawsuit.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I am guessing you don't understand how self insurance works.
To cover the costs of the drugs you mention, the costs are increased. Since Hobby Lobby self insures, then all costs are born by the company, and I am guessing you don't understand how a business works.
Guessing you don't understand the difference between for profit corporations and non profit religious groups, it is illegal for a company to impose their religion on their employees. This isn't rocket science, the corporation can't make its employees be Christian or Muslim and it can't deny what is required of the law to their employees.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:34 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Its amazing that right-wingers have no problem with CEO's forcing their beliefs on their employees as long as it fits thier agenda but should a CEO with democrat beliefs try to do the same, he would be condemned.
Liberals lack a lot of comprehension skills. Refusing to pay for something isn't forcing your beliefs on anyone. I don't want to pay for your birth control either, but you are free to spend your money and go buy your own birth control. What part of personal responsibility do you not understand??? If an employee can't pay for birth control, then they don't need to be having sex. Not the bosses job to fund their sexual practices.

Example, if the Hobby Lobby CEO said that he would fire every employee who uses birth control, then yes, he would be forcing his beliefs on others. He is just saying that he doesn't want to fund their birth control and abortions. Truthfully, as a taxpayer, I don't want to fund your birth control either. I am a woman as well. I just think my birth control should be my responsibility.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
He is just saying that he doesn't want to fund their birth control and abortions.
What he's saying is he doesn't want to follow the law.

The CEO runs a secular business and needs to get over his "holier than thou" attitude. He's made a pile of money from running a SECULAR business. He doesn't get to pick and choose which laws he follows. None of us do.

The sad part of this is his employees will pay the price if he shuts things down or goes broke (highly unlikely). He still has all his billions and they'll be out pounding the street looking for a job. I'd LOVE to see a link where he talks about the effects of all this on his employees.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Liberals lack a lot of comprehension skills. Refusing to pay for something isn't forcing your beliefs on anyone. I don't want to pay for your birth control either, but you are free to spend your money and go buy your own birth control. What part of personal responsibility do you not understand??? If an employee can't pay for birth control, then they don't need to be having sex. Not the bosses job to fund their sexual practices.

Example, if the Hobby Lobby CEO said that he would fire every employee who uses birth control, then yes, he would be forcing his beliefs on others. He is just saying that he doesn't want to fund their birth control and abortions. Truthfully, as a taxpayer, I don't want to fund your birth control either. I am a woman as well. I just think my birth control should be my responsibility.
Oh so you think an employer should be allowed to pick and choose which laws he wants to follow? That seems logical.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And I will go out of my way to make sure I never shop at Hobby Lobby.
First (and last) time I was in one I was looking at what I guess was supposed to be a 'vase', basically a piece of stove pipe, made and painted in China, priced at $59.95!

No Thanks! I'll go to Michael's, better pricing and less self-righteouls BS.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:12 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There business is not a health insurance provider, all he is paying for is their insurance, another company is providing them what the employees need. Also, for profit corporations cannot hide behind religion, it is actually illegal. Any smart businssz man knows that.
Every article I have seen describes HL as "self insuring".
That means Hobby Lobby is the insurance provider .

If you can show this is not so, I have no problem admitting I am wrong.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Every article I have seen describes HL as "self insuring".
That means Hobby Lobby is the insurance provider .

If you can show this is not so, I have no problem admitting I am wrong.
You are correct, they do self-insure, that is something I didn't realize...though it doesn't change the fact that even self insuring the company still has to honor the law because we all know there is no religious group in this country that is above the law because that would be wrong.

You also should know in the articles that you have read that Hobby Lobby is a for profit corporation and are not protected by law that is granted to non-profit religious groups. Now if they want to turn their entire company into a non-profit church, then I am sure they would have some ground to stand on, but what wealthy businessman wants to throw away all that money to go non-profit.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:

Well - by giving them a a paycheck ~ I guess he is 'funding' their birth control and abortions IF that is how they choose to spend their money.

Would he like to place restrictions on how his female employees use their paychecks as well?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies