Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM

599 posts, read 953,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK - you can tell that to the people in New Jersey. That is INAPPLICABLE to the people in most other states.
Wrong.

Oregon, California, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Florida, Tennessee, Virgina, Connecticut, Michigan....all still award lifetime alimony. Over 100 million people live in states where lifetime alimony is still commonly awarded. Just becasue you live in Texas, a state with reasonable laws, doesn't mean that over 100 million others aren't still living in states with statutes written in the 1950's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 03:48 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times
I'd be willing to get married if I met the right one, thing is at 46 I still haven't met the right one.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
Wrong.

Oregon, California, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Florida, Tennessee, Virgina, Connecticut, Michigan....all still award lifetime alimony. Over 100 million people live in states where lifetime alimony is still commonly awarded. Just becasue you live in Texas, a state with reasonable laws, doesn't mean that over 100 million others aren't still living in states with statutes written in the 1950's.

Oh come on. You and I BOTH know that "permanent alimony" is not a typical outcome of a divorce settlement anywhere.

Drop the charade.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Oh come on. You and I BOTH know that "permanent alimony" is not a typical outcome of a divorce settlement anywhere.

Drop the charade.

There are only two types of alimony in Colorado. Temporary, which is alimony awarded before the divorce is final, and permanent, which is ANY alimony awarded after the divorce decree.

You can look that up if you would like.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
There are only two types of alimony in Colorado. Temporary, which is alimony awarded before the divorce is final, and permanent, which is ANY alimony awarded after the divorce decree.

You can look that up if you would like.
I already have.

Your implication is that "permanent alimony" amounting to $1000 or more, FOR LIFE, from the man, is a common outcome in divorces across the United States. This simply isn't true - not even in states that ALLOW "permanent alimony." Hell, the best example you could come up with is the TINY state of New Jersey -and supposedly 15 percent of divorces (which I guess would mean about 7.5 percent of marriages) end up with some sort of "permanent alimony" scenario.

Which means that 92.5 percent of men and women getting married in New Jersey do NOT have that scenario as a likelihood in their future.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I already have.

Your implication is that "permanent alimony" amounting to $1000 or more, FOR LIFE, from the man, is a common outcome in divorces across the United States. This simply isn't true - not even in states that ALLOW "permanent alimony." Hell, the best example you could come up with is the TINY state of New Jersey -and supposedly 15 percent of divorces (which I guess would mean about 7.5 percent of marriages) end up with some sort of "permanent alimony" scenario.

Which means that 92.5 percent of men and women getting married in New Jersey do NOT have that scenario as a likelihood in their future.
First of all, I never said anything about "the man". An ever increasing number of women pay alimony, yes, even lifetime alimony. It is a gender neutral issue.

BTW, the "tiny" state of New Jersey has 9 million people. It is the 11th most populous state. Of the states that award lifetime alimony, you have California with 38 million, Florida with 19 million, Illinois with 13 million, Georgia with 10 million, Michigan with 10 million, New Jersey with 9 million.....are you getting the picture? Over 100 million people live in states that award lifetime alimony.

Of course not every divorce ends in lifetime alimony. But in the states where it is awarded, it is a factor in virtually 100% of divorces of marriages over 20 years. Feel free to call a lawyer in Florida, or Oregon, or Colorado, and ask them what happens in divorces over 20 years. It is very common to use the threat of lifetime alimony as a bargaining chip to extract an inequitable amount of marital assets in the divorce settlement. In that case, was alimony paid? Well, it won't appear on any chart as "alimony", but if LIFETIME alimony was not a threat, the divorce settlement would be much more equitable. Many people divorcing will take a huge lump sum payout in lieu of actual alimony, so that they are not at risk of the payer losing their job, and so that they are not prevented from remarrying, or in some states, living with someone. Bottom line: thousands of people get screwed by lifetime alimony settlements every day, even if monthly payments never change hands. You are probably not aware of this because you live in Texas, where alimony is not a threat, so almost every divorce is 50-50. I know several WOMEN here in Colorado who had to give up *everything* in their divorce to avoid paying lifetime alimony. One woman's ex-husband is now living in a fully paid off brand new home with his girlfriend, while the ex-wife is renting a room in a house and trying to pay off the $100,000 in debt she was handed in the divorce. Bankruptcy is likely, which means she'll be renting until she is at least 62. (She is 55 now). This is the way the racket works, so statistics are relatively meaningless; even at that they are compelling. This woman's plight is one of the cases that caused me to take on alimony in Colorado. It is unfair beyond belief, and it nearly destroyed her. She was ready to commit suicide over the situation at many points along the way. Which by the way, is yet another terrifying statistic from this God-forsaken state: the suicide rates among divorced middle aged men is the highest in the country here. Care to take a guess as to why?

Old 02-06-2013, 05:44 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
On the flip side, the possibility of lifetime alimony to one's first wife might give a man pause when considering trading her in for a newer model. Or vice versa, as in the case cited above.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
First of all, I never said anything about "the man". An ever increasing number of women pay alimony, yes, even lifetime alimony. It is a gender neutral issue.

BTW, the "tiny" state of New Jersey has 9 million people. It is the 11th most populous state. Of the states that award lifetime alimony, you have California with 38 million, Florida with 19 million, Illinois with 13 million, Georgia with 10 million, Michigan with 10 million, New Jersey with 9 million.....are you getting the picture? Over 100 million people live in states that award lifetime alimony.

Of course not every divorce ends in lifetime alimony. But in the states where it is awarded, it is a factor in virtually 100% of divorces of marriages over 20 years. Feel free to call a lawyer in Florida, or Oregon, or Colorado, and ask them what happens in divorces over 20 years. It is very common to use the threat of lifetime alimony as a bargaining chip to extract an inequitable amount of marital assets in the divorce settlement. In that case, was alimony paid? Well, it won't appear on any chart as "alimony", but if LIFETIME alimony was not a threat, the divorce settlement would be much more equitable. Many people divorcing will take a huge lump sum payout in lieu of actual alimony, so that they are not at risk of the payer losing their job, and so that they are not prevented from remarrying, or in some states, living with someone. Bottom line: thousands of people get screwed by lifetime alimony settlements every day, even if monthly payments never change hands. You are probably not aware of this because you live in Texas, where alimony is not a threat, so almost every divorce is 50-50. I know several WOMEN here in Colorado who had to give up *everything* in their divorce to avoid paying lifetime alimony. One woman's ex-husband is now living in a fully paid off brand new home with his girlfriend, while the ex-wife is renting a room in a house and trying to pay off the $100,000 in debt she was handed in the divorce. Bankruptcy is likely, which means she'll be renting until she is at least 62. (She is 55 now). This is the way the racket works, so statistics are relatively meaningless; even at that they are compelling. This woman's plight is one of the cases that caused me to take on alimony in Colorado. It is unfair beyond belief, and it nearly destroyed her. She was ready to commit suicide over the situation at many points along the way. Which by the way, is yet another terrifying statistic from this God-forsaken state: the suicide rates among divorced middle aged men is the highest in the country here. Care to take a guess as to why?
You and I both know that the term "permanent alimony" is a misnomer. It is not usually "permanent" - ESPECIALLY in marriages lasting under 20 years. In fact, in many states, a general rule of thumb is that alimony payments are paid for about half the duration of the marriage - if the situation necessitates it.

Also, alimony is not set in stone. Often the amounts can be reduced or changed depending on developing scenarios.

But you know what - carry on your mission regarding alimony reform in Colorado. It's clearly a passion for you. It's not for me - I would rather expend my energy on different causes.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:34 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
On the flip side, the possibility of lifetime alimony to one's first wife might give a man pause when considering trading her in for a newer model. Or vice versa, as in the case cited above.
It's not usually the guy wanting the divorce. Roughly 70% of divorces are filed by women.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
You and I both know that the term "permanent alimony" is a misnomer. It is not usually "permanent" - ESPECIALLY in marriages lasting under 20 years. In fact, in many states, a general rule of thumb is that alimony payments are paid for about half the duration of the marriage - if the situation necessitates it.

Also, alimony is not set in stone. Often the amounts can be reduced or changed depending on developing scenarios.

But you know what - carry on your mission regarding alimony reform in Colorado. It's clearly a passion for you. It's not for me - I would rather expend my energy on different causes.

Well duh! You live in Texas, where alimony is almost NEVER awarded, even for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies