Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 10:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times

Advertisements

I hate to say it but I think its possible. If we lose our 2nd amendment rights how long is it before the government goes after the first amendment? Will it be illegal to take your child to church because teaching them heaven and hell is "child abuse"? Will it be illegal to openly disagree with the President? It could very well mean that. To disagree with Obama even today immediately gets you labeled as a backwards, small minded racist bigot with an IQ below 60. To parrot the Obama party line automatically gets you labeled an enlightened genius.

The utopia liberals want has been tried numerous times in world history and has failed every time. We live in an imperfect world and are an imperfect race. Liberalism would make perfect sense in a perfect world but this isn't a perfect world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 10:20 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well that is just a fantasy. Do you honestly think Texas is going to keep all those government jobs and US wells? Texas would be occupied before it could elect its first president. But feel free to think that you have some sort of power over the US if you tried to break free from it....granted, it would require having a state government that wanted to leave, and that ain't happening any time soon.
Not so fast, podner But to backtrack? You are also tossing out a red-herring. I am not (at least at this point), a secessionist. I am perfectly content to be part of the United States. BUT...not very contented with an out of control -- in the most literal sense -- federal government.

So this is no fantasy at all. It is a hypothetical in response to a hypothetical. And the blunt fact is, IF the Red States were to leave, then the Blue States would starve as they froze in the dark. They are mostly liberal states with dependent and anti-business, anti-energy, policies, and totally dependent on the Blue states. And if there was a seperation? Then those who depend upon government for a living would flee to them just as sure as illegal immigrants go to them to seek welfare. You all would BEG for our support.

Texas (and other Southern or Red States occupied?) By who and what force?

See? The mistake you are making is what many do. That is, that the federal government is the end and be all. Notta. The federal government is the sole creation of soveriegn states which delegated only limited powers to the central government. If the states were to withdraw that power? Then what power would the federal government have to enforce anything at all? Much less the Blue states whose populace never owned a gun, would not know how to fire one, and thinks that the food they eat and the gas they burn, grows on trees...

Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
That is sorta the point. The feds are taking people's money and then re-distributing it. And those doing the redistribution do so to perperate their own power and wealth. What gives the fed the power to do so? What if each soveriegn state kept its own money? Why go thru the feds?
Then we wouldn't be the United States of America we would just be 50 countries.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Not so fast, podner But to backtrack? You are also tossing out a red-herring. I am not (at least at this point), a secessionist. I am perfectly content to be part of the United States. BUT...not very contented with an out of control -- in the most literal sense -- federal government.

So this is no fantasy at all. It is a hypothetical in response to a hypothetical. And the blunt fact is, IF the Red States were to leave, then the Blue States would starve as they froze in the dark. They are mostly liberal states with dependent and anti-business, anti-energy, policies, and totally dependent on the Blue states. And if there was a seperation? Then those who depend upon government for a living would flee to them just as sure as illegal immigrants go to them to seek welfare. You all would BEG for our support.

Texas (and other Southern or Red States occupied?) By who and what force?

See? The mistake you are making is what many do. That is, that the federal government is the end and be all. Notta. The federal government is the sole creation of soveriegn states which delegated only limited powers to the central government. If the states were to withdraw that power? Then what power would the federal government have to enforce anything at all? Much less the Blue states whose populace never owned a gun, would not know how to fire one, and thinks that the food they eat and the gas they burn, grows on trees...
So your whole argument is a red herring. Personally I have no interest in talking about the "what ifs" especially with someone who doesn't want to see that "what if" happen.

Basically everything you just typed will never happen in our lifetime.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Note the phrase! United STATES of America. That is the way the British recognized us when we won our independence. Not as a collective, but 13 independent and soveriengn STATES. We didn't bond together out of love for one another. But rather, the pragmatic realization, that none of them, alone, were economically or militarily strong enough to compete with the nations of Europe. That was the sole difference in the state of France or Britain, than the states of the united states.

And I use that lower-cap intentionally. Not the least of reasons being that, in the early days, the feds referred, in official documents to our country as "THESE united states". Not THE United States. Note the difference?

Bottom line is though, the federal government is the creation of soveriegn states. If we ever lose sight of that (which we have, really..), then it is nothing more than an empire controlled by Washington.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:36 PM

724 posts, read 593,446 times
Man, I've been gone awhile but I can see that the CD is still a hotbed of rwnj miscreants lusting for war and using ridiculous sources to back up their feeble arguments.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
So your whole argument is a red herring. Personally I have no interest in talking about the "what ifs" especially with someone who doesn't want to see that "what if" happen.

Basically everything you just typed will never happen in our lifetime.
Again, good try. But no cee-gar. And whether it does or doesn't isnt the point. You are trying to steer this into a ditch. It isn't a matter of what I want to happen. It is a matter of what the out of control federal government is doing. And it is a collision course with disaster.

Like former Treasury Secretary William Simon once said (paraphrased:

Washington spending policies can be compared to a runaway passenger train going full speed downhill, while those who run the train are living it up in the diner and bar car ...

Last edited by TexasReb; 01-14-2013 at 10:49 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 10:48 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I hate to say it but I think its possible. If we lose our 2nd amendment rights how long is it before the government goes after the first amendment?
Never, just like the rest of the 1st world still has their free speech rights even though mentally ill people can't get an assault rifle on demand.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
Quote:
Not to mention the constitution, which the RWNJs claim to love so much, forbids states from issuing currency and gives only the federal government that power. As well as to regulate interstate commerce.

The more you hear from the RWNJs the clear it becomes that they have absolutely no idea what is in the constitution much less what it means. They just imagine things and then attempt to falsely attribute it to the constitution.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Note the phrase! United STATES of America. That is the way the British recognized us when we won our independence. Not as a collective, but 13 independent and soveriengn STATES. We didn't bond together out of love for one another. But rather, the pragmatic realization, that none of them, alone, were economically or militarily strong enough to compete with the nations of Europe. That was the sole difference in the state of France or Britain, than the states of the united states.

And I use that lower-cap intentionally. Not the least of reasons being that, in the early days, the feds referred, in official documents to our country as "THESE united states". Not THE United States. Note the difference?

Bottom line is though, the federal government is the creation of soveriegn states. If we ever lose sight of that (which we have, really..), then it is nothing more than an empire controlled by Washington.
Notice the word before States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies