Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 05:24 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,354,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Stupid premise. You can't protect your children from every measure of harm. Your emotions are irrelevant to the 2nd Amendment.
When laws are made based on emotion and not reason, freedom loses, and we have bad law. The unintended consequence of such law is that (in this case) we put people in greater danger not less.

"Gun free zones" increase the risk of violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 05:27 AM

651 posts, read 706,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
If the Republicans have any fight in them, they will kill every single one of those 19 executive actions even if it takes filibustering.
I don't think you realize what an EO is. It is a unilateral order by the president that does not go up for any vote. Its just an order by the president.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 AM

3,168 posts, read 2,067,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoooka View Post
I don't think you realize what an EO is. It is a unilateral order by the president that does not go up for any vote. Its just an order by the president.
I don't think the president has that authority otherwise they'd just EO all their laws that way. Why put anything to a vote then? If Obama EO this then he will be impeached and this law will be struck down as unconstitutional by the supreme court though I don't think it's possible to do that.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,890,584 times
Some info on what EOs could be coming ...

White House Plan On Guns To Include 19 Executive Actions, Lawmakers Say : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,175,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Maximus View Post
Compromise on our right to protect ourselves? You serious Clark?
Maybe the 545 ELECTED officials on Capitol Hill (who represent 300,000,000 people) should set an example of COMPROMISING (rather than filibustering and showcasing) before they insist that WE THE PEOPLE do so.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingTactics45 View Post
Well, any honest COPs will tell you they can't protect you. It's not their job to be your personal security guard 24/7/365.

Maybe I should put some of my co-workers on the phone for the readers.....
You know, you bring up a very good point.

My brother is currently incarcerated. He is violent, an addict, and suffers from psychosis and a personality disorder. He has threatened family members and gone on violent rampages. When we met with law enforcement officials about when and if he's going to be released, we told them that we were fearful of our safety and the safety of others, because even though it's illegal for him to own a gun, of course that won't stop him. It's illegal for him to come near us on family property (or for that matter, it's illegal for him to come into the county) as well - but of course that won't stop him either.

You know what the police told us? They said, "We can't protect you. You will have to arm and protect yourselves."

Old 01-15-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Yes, Adam Lanza's mother was sick, and it got her killed. She had all those guns to protect herself, she was in my estimation one of those gun loving conservatives who was readying herself and her mentally unstable sonny boy for judgement day.

Are liberals happy about 26 people dead because of guns? heck NO, we are NOT HAPPY, I don't know where you come up with the garbage you post.
Normal, emotionally and mentally healthy people (both liberal and conservative - and everything in between) are shocked and grieving over this situation. Egotistical, megalomanical, narcissistic, preening politicians are not "normal" people.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,168,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
just so you know ovcatto, I shall not register 1 firearm at all.
Amen. Likewise.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 AM

29,652 posts, read 14,769,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Well, if you live in NY you just might have to... I have a unalienable right to own a firearm I shouldn't be discriminated against and demonized just because I might want to exercise that right. What is the real concern? Is it that you think gun owners are dangerous or that we might go on a killing spree? The reason I ask is because by and large that isn't the case.

55% of the people that go on rampages are mentally defective and on drugs or recently got off of drugs. The ACLU fought for the right of the mentally ill to not be institutionalized and for their privacy some time back which was nice, but now we have a predicament. You can be a sociopath, clearly show tendencies, but it's illegal to lock that person up until they commit a crime.

As far as gangs go, well, they have cartel ties so you won't be able to stop them from having guns.
And this is where the problem lies. Not in evil black rifles or high capacity magazines. When are people going to get it ?

Old 01-15-2013, 07:41 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,108,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
If the Republicans have any fight in them, they will kill every single one of those 19 executive actions even if it takes filibustering.
You can't filibuster an EO.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies