Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pedophilia should be considered a sexual orientation like homosexuality and heterosexuality
Yes, it is a sexual orientation 6 8.22%
No, it is an abnormal sexual behavior 59 80.82%
I don't know if it's an abnormal sexual behavior or sexual orientation 8 10.96%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Who said that???

If something is deemed a sexual orientation, soon it will be deemed as normal behavior and soon be asked to be accepted.

But I was just going off the handle when I saw the title of this thread and I went bonkers at the moment.

If people want to get help suppressing their feelings alright, but if they are acting on their feelings they need to die. Just saying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 03:03 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastelito de limon View Post
I don't think it matters whether it's a sexual orientation or an aberration. If it turns out some people are born attracted to kids...so what? That doesn't mean the behavior must be deemed acceptable or exempt from punishment just because it has a genetic basis. We don't have to freak out when studies are done on this sort of thing. Children simply cannot consent to sex. Nonconsentual sex is and will remain illegal.
If you enter this website expecting logic and rational thought, you will end up mostly disappointed. You at least gave me some upside to my incredibly low expectations.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
If something is deemed a sexual orientation, soon it will be deemed as normal behavior and soon be asked to be accepted.

But I was just going off the handle when I saw the title of this thread and I went bonkers at the moment.

If people want to get help suppressing their feelings alright, but if they are acting on their feelings they need to die. Just saying
Who said it was "normal"? There are plenty of mental states that are not viewed as "normal" but have been judged to be genetically predisposed.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Who said it was "normal"? There are plenty of mental states that are not viewed as "normal" but have been judged to be genetically predisposed.

Having an attraction to children has already been classified as being a genetic disorder and mental instability; to try to call it a sexual orientation, is just opening it up to be accepted and 'normalized' down the road.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Its a mental issue. And those who have it and have committed an act should be locked away for good. Until there is proof they can be changed, they do not belong in society where they can hurt kids. Put them in a mental ward for all I care, doesnt have to be prison in all cases, but do not let them out into society. Period. Many will offend again and we know it.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:21 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
Pedophilia has nothing to do with behavior, however it is definitely an abnormal sexual attraction. Whether it is an innate orientation, or one developed through traumatic or systematic experiences, isn't particularly relevant. A pedophile who acts upon his attraction is by definition a child molester.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Its a mental issue. And those who have it and have committed an act should be locked away for good. Until there is proof they can be changed, they do not belong in society where they can hurt kids. Put them in a mental ward for all I care, doesnt have to be prison in all cases, but do not let them out into society. Period. Many will offend again and we know it.

It has already been established from psychologists, researchers, scientists, and even the pedophiles themselves, that they can never change. Now in the story, it does say that some pedophiles can control their urges, or are attracted to adults as well and so that allows them to release some sexual pressure.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I don't understand how it could be a sexual orientation.

We could argue any and every sexual proclivity is an orientation if pedophilia is a sexual orientation.
Someone is sexually attracted to children -> isn't that a sexual orientation?
Why do people act outraged - this is exactly where sexual deviants have been headed for 30+ years.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Someone is sexually attracted to children -> isn't that a sexual orientation?
Why do people act outraged - this is exactly where sexual deviants have been headed for 30+ years.
The definition is:

Sexual Orientation - Definition

The definition relates to the gender someone is sexually attracted to; the fact of being heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual, not the age of who they find sexually attractive.

Acting upon sexual desire for someone who is younger than the age of being sexually aware or able to consent is criminal.

It's not right to put pedophiles in a category with people who have a normal sexual orientation toward people of their same age group.

Pedophiles and molestors are predators.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:00 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
We could argue any and every sexual proclivity is an orientation if pedophilia is a sexual orientation.
We could, and I think that would be a correct usage. Why "orientation" should necessarily mean "something we like" is hard to justify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies