Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pedophilia should be considered a sexual orientation like homosexuality and heterosexuality
Yes, it is a sexual orientation 6 8.22%
No, it is an abnormal sexual behavior 59 80.82%
I don't know if it's an abnormal sexual behavior or sexual orientation 8 10.96%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 02:13 PM

438 posts, read 947,143 times

Advertisements

I don't think it matters whether it's a sexual orientation or an aberration. If it turns out some people are born attracted to kids...so what? That doesn't mean the behavior must be deemed acceptable or exempt from punishment just because it has a genetic basis. We don't have to freak out when studies are done on this sort of thing. Children simply cannot consent to sex. Nonconsentual sex is and will remain illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
From my reading, I got that they are trying to make pedophilia (the attraction) less stigmatized so more people will go get help before they commit pedophilia (the action) and harm a child.

Quote:
"You are not guilty because of your sexual desire, but you are responsible for your sexual behavior," said billboards urging them to contact the Institute of Sexology and Sexual Medicine in Berlin. "There is help! Don't become an offender!"

There have been some grass-roots efforts to bring pedophilia out of the shadows. Anton Schweighofer, a psychologist in British Columbia, said he recently referred one of his patients to Virtuous Pedophiles, an online support group for men who have never acted on their desires and want to keep it that way.
I think it is a good thing to encourage people to get help, instead of forcing them to hide.
Of course, those who have actually molested a child should be locked up forever at the very least.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,461,151 times
Reality isn't necessarily made to be comforting. It honestly doesn't matter what we define it as but scientists are going to research the matter in a fashion that nets them the most information with the most accurate results. If it is indeed a sexual orientation then that changes absolutely nothing, now does it? If labeling it a "sexual orientation" helps even one pedophile get a better understanding of his attraction to young children and thereby not acting on his impulses then, in my opinion, you could call it whatever you want.

I honestly don't think there's anyone commenting on this (myself included) who understand the issue, who know the science, or know the details behind all of it. So, umm... If we disagree, we're doing so from an ignorant point of view anyway.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:29 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I honestly don't think there's anyone commenting on this (myself included) who understand the issue, who know the science, or know the details behind all of it. So, umm... If we disagree, we're doing so from an ignorant point of view anyway.
I don't need to be an expert to have an opinion.

Pre-1950's science didn't believe smoking cigarettes was unhealthy.

That's miles away from what we know today.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:32 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
From my reading, I got that they are trying to make pedophilia (the attraction) less stigmatized so more people will go get help before they commit pedophilia (the action) and harm a child.

I think it is a good thing to encourage people to get help, instead of forcing them to hide.
Of course, those who have actually molested a child should be locked up forever at the very least.
Pedophilia Anonymous?

Old 01-15-2013, 02:34 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statutory Ape View Post
Pedophilia Anonymous?
The article mentions a group that is a support group for pedophiles. If you keep them in the shadows, they won't get help.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
And if they act on that "attraction" or can't "help" themselves in anyway, they need to be retired from life
I have no problem with this.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 PM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,203 times
Yes it is a sexual orientation.
Yes it is an abnormal sexual behavior

Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Yes it is a sexual orientation.
Yes it is an abnormal sexual behavior
I don't understand how it could be a sexual orientation.

We could argue any and every sexual proclivity is an orientation if pedophilia is a sexual orientation.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
WTF!!! WTF!!! WTF!!! WTF!!! WTF!!! And so should it be respected and encouraged?
Who said that???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies