Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,756,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
It's actually called "The First 48".

Good show.
Yep. One of my favorites beside NCIS. Love those shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 10:37 PM

73,029 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
You said you signed a petition against the Baby Mama show because it portrayed blacks in a negative light, so I asked if you were petitioning against 48 hours. do you recall that now? Did you like Wired?
Maybe you don't relate to how these people behave, but others do. Let it all hang out.
First of all,

1) I've never watched The Wire. I've heard of it, but I've never watched it.
2) I didn't know there was a petition out on 48 hours.
3) Why should I let anything hang out?

And one more thing. Why are you comparing All My Babies Mamas to 48 Hours? What is your point?

Old 01-20-2013, 10:41 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
First of all,

1) I've never watched The Wire. I've heard of it, but I've never watched it.
2) I didn't know there was a petition out on 48 hours.
3) Why should I let anything hang out?

And one more thing. Why are you comparing All My Babies Mamas to 48 Hours? What is your point?
Are you intentionally being obtuse? Nevermind, the point has gotten lost in all this explaining you are making me do.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Are you intentionally being obtuse? Nevermind, the point has gotten lost in all this explaining you are making me do.
I'm not being obtuse. I need you to get to the point.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:15 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
70% of black children are born into wedlock.
FYI: this is a national trend.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/18/us...anted=all&_r=0

Interestingly enough, college educated moms, of all races, rarely have kids out of wedlock.....

Quote:
One group still largely resists the trend: college graduates, who overwhelmingly marry before having children. That is turning family structure into a new class divide, with the economic and social rewards of marriage increasingly reserved for people with the most education.
So as long as the number of middle class people keeps decreasing, and membership in the middle class is tenuous, then out of wedlock births will likely keep going up.

And lest I remind you......college graduation rates of black women especially keeps increasing:
Fast Facts

Out of wedlock births are largely a class problem. Not a race problem.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:27 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
70% of black children are born into wedlock. Black women abort their children at 5 times the rates of other races. I'm pretty sure that black people are responsible for "reinforcing stereotypes about Black men and women..." Black culture needs NO HELP from the rest of us in drawing up the narrative.
But Yet They do! The media constantly enforces negative black sterotypes and simultaneously ignoring the postive accomplishments. Btw wher in the hell do you get the stat of 70% anyway?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:33 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,424,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
When Oprah Winfrey and former Nickelodeon executive Geraldine Laybourne launched the Oxygen cable network in 2000, "the company [aspired] to be a strong advocate for women." But since its purchase by NBC Universal in 2007, Oxygen has steadily increased its stable of cheaply-produced reality television programming that exploits women, children and now Shawty Lo's "unconventional" family.

We already know that only a narrow range of Black characters or personalities ever makes it onto America's television screens. When combined with the overwhelmingly negative representations of Black Americans we see on the daily news, shows like All My Babies' Mamas reinforce ugly stereotypes about Black men and women — that we're hypersexual, combative and unfit to parent our children. In addition to reducing self-esteem, a number of studies confirm that these distorted portrayals can lead non-Black audiences to hold onto problematic perceptions of Black folks that have dangerous real-world consequences.

A special congratulations is in order to black women. Our collective response showed that we can alter what is projected, by coming together to advocate against these destructive images that are constantly broadcasted all over the world.

Ă¢€˜All My Babies' Mamas' To Be Cancelled By Oxygen Network (REPORT, UPDATED)
Says a lot about Black women that they would be threatened by a crappy reality tv show on a low rated network.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:44 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Says a lot about Black women that they would be threatened by a crappy reality tv show on a low rated network.
What makes you think that it was all women? Blacks who have generations of bais media coverage against them are all offended by this show, but I expect that you again, would be clueless about this as well

Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
What makes you think that it was all women? Blacks who have generations of bais media coverage against them are all offended by this show, but I expect that you again, would be clueless about this as well
I don't think he's clueless. I think he just doesn't care, or that he's being very insensitive and hateful.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:21 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell14 View Post
The races aren't equal. Separatist believe in separatism,supremacist believe the white race is supreme to others,nationalists just believe in racial nationalism....a since of pride....there are tons of different nationalist parties all over Europe in power..Italian,Swedish,Turkish etc etc..those aren't in power just proves my point nationalist parties are everywhere there is even a nationalist party in the US.
"white" is not a nationality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies