Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Assuming your story is true, if a VP nominee can think that Africa is a country, why can't a hospital clerk think that "African" is a race??
According to the Hawaii Department of Health, race of parent was self-reported. So it was Obama Sr. who chose African as his race. Why would someone from Africa choose Negro?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ok, I'll play the game.
The title of this thread is incorrect.
I'm also not going to beat you up here on confusing Birthers with Truthers, but having just read the release--I'm wondering how you see this incorrect?
Quote:
It's not 64% are truthers, it's that 64% believe in one or more political conspiracy theory and there are several mentioned. It's 64% of the 36% that believe.
63% of all voters believed in at least one conspiracy theory. 75% of Republican voters believed at least one to be true.

Quote:
36% are "truthers", not the 64% the OP says. Read the link provided.
36% of 814 = 293 people
36% of people are birthers, but 64% of the 75% of republicans believed that to be so, which actually works out to 48% of Republicans.

To put it simply, seventy five percent of Republicans believe in a conspiracy theory, and of those seventy-five percent, sixty-four percent of them are Birthers.

That means that forty eight percent of Republicans are Birthers.
By the way, that's mirrored closely by a New York Times, CBS News poll that found 47% of Republicans to believe Obama wasn't born in the country.

Quote:
64% of those 293 are Republicans = 187 people.
This release doesn't say anything about how many of the 814 people questioned were of which political party.

Quote:
Yes, 187 people represent all registered Republicans in America.
You really think 187 is a representative sampling
I've seen better research papers with smaller numbers which represent Americans. But the study is matched by at least one other independent poll.

Quote:
And I looked for the survey questions from the source site and can't find the survey.
2012 PublicMind Releases :: Fairleigh Dickinson University PublicMind Poll

From the OP link:

The most popular of these conspiracy theories is the belief that President Obama is hidingimportant information about his background and early life, which would include what’s oftenreferred to “birtherism.” Thirty-six percent of Americans think this is probably true, including 64 percent of Republicans and 14 percent of Democrats.
Quote:
Many more can't comprehend what they read.
Reading is FUNDAMENTAL to understanding.

64% of 36% is not 64% of all registered Republicans.
I am going to double down on my statement. HappyTexan doesn't understand statistics or sampling.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:28 AM

26,584 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
So it was Obama Sr. who chose African as his race.
most likely, but in fairness it must be mentioned that we don't know for sure. it could have been stanley anne who filled out the form. what we do know is that "african" absolutely would have been accepted as a choice for race.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
I also looked through their archives. The poll and questions and tables are not on the site.
And the archives go back in years. Subsequent polls are there though.
And each poll release also has attached the questions and tables.
This particular release is not on their site and the rest of the survey pages (questions/tables) didn't seem to make it to the MSM story.

Here's the 2012 archives:
2012 PublicMind Releases :: Fairleigh Dickinson University PublicMind Poll

Note: I found it !!!
It's under a 2013 "Out there" category and not part of their regular archives for either 2012 or current 2013 polls.

Conspiracy Theories: 25% of Americans are 'Truthers'
You didn't have to look through their archives, or do anything more than click on the study. Then scroll down. It says right at the top, upper-right hand corner 9 pages.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Negro is just a shortened term for Negroid and NO, African would not have been on any certificate back then.
Wrong twice. "Negro" and "Negroid" are two different words that derive from the same etymological source. One is not a shortened term for the other.

And yes, "African" absolutely would have been on a certificate back then because we know for a fact that it is on a certificate from back then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman
Race was not stated as a country back then no matter how many times you say it. It still isn't true.
Ignoring again that Africa is a continent not a country, the race for both my parent's on my own birth certificate says "Italian."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman
But, let's just say you are right...Kenya was not the name of that country back in 1961.
You are wrong again. It has been called Kenya since 1920.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,080,363 times
Quote:
There are only 3 races in the world.
Caucasian races (Aryans, Hamites, Semites)
Mongolian races (northern Mongolian, Chinese and Indo-Chinese, Japanese and Korean, Tibetan, Malayan, Polynesian, Maori, Micronesian, Eskimo, American Indian),
Negroid races (African, Hottentots, Melanesians/Papua, “Negrito”, Australian Aborigine, Dravidians, Sinhalese)
You have just proved yourself wrong. Your post lists 20 different races, divided among three larger categories.

Among the "Negroid races", the very first of seven races listed is "African."

You fail.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
There are only 3 races in the world.

Caucasian races (Aryans, Hamites, Semites)
Mongolian races (northern Mongolian, Chinese and Indo-Chinese, Japanese and Korean, Tibetan, Malayan, Polynesian, Maori, Micronesian, Eskimo, American Indian),
Negroid races (African, Hottentots, Melanesians/Papua, “Negrito”, Australian Aborigine, Dravidians, Sinhalese)
Negroid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The word is formed by the base "Negro" and the suffix "-oid", which means "resembling".[9]

Plus, how do you square these three races with the choices given in post #84, including 3 choices of "other"?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
I don't care how big of a difference there is seeing how the poll didn't poll every single GOP and Democrat and Independent. Still 14% of your own freaking party thing u are foreign born that's sad. Yes I know what a truther is thanks.
64% of the GOPers being birthers is just sad. Seriously. And the pollsters are supposed to go to every registered voter? Really?

You can go play now, the adults are talking.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:47 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
You have just proved yourself wrong. Your post lists 20 different races, divided among three larger categories.

Among the "Negroid races", the very first of seven races listed is "African."

You fail.
Right on! Little Black Sambo was Indian.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:53 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Wow shows that 64% of Republicans are morons.......... thought it would be higher.

And 98% of liberals are fools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies