Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Are Americans in danger of going extinct?
This seems like stupid reasoning.
Actually, they are, more and more Americans are delaying parenthood and when they finally get around to it, the children they produce are ... subpar. Then there is our military's awful toll on the important 18 - 25 y.o. demographic: for every soldier killed in Iraq (~5K) or Afghanistan (~3K?) there are 5 injured, three of them catastrophically. 1.2 commit suicide post deployment. Many had children prior to deployment. Many did not. Either way, they are gone. No good to America any longer. America is going to need them someday. She just doesn't realize it yet. Like you don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
There is simply no good reason for women not to be fighting alongside men.
Truth is, there is no good reason for anyone to be fighting war from DFP's, APC's, or door to door with carbines or 50 caliber guns on turrets... ... I mean... if your goal is to get rid of as many smart, fit, and capable young people as possible then, sure, war is one way to do it. Slow and messy IMO but, it is a way. As a way of doing good in the world.... ... war is a big FAIL. I don't advocate the cowardly practice of using drone aircraft controlled from the U.S. mainland to carry out operations in the Middle East and/or South Asia but they are at least utilizing some of the technology that has been developed since the Punic Wars when soldiers practically flung themselves at one another.

The U.S. military has wasted an unconscionable number of young men. 152 women may have died in Iraq but that isn't even a 20th of the number of men that have died. If the number of women starts going up, even fractionally you are going to see the American people EXPLODE in anger. A woman POW is going to be raped. Repeatedly. Until she is dead or rescued. That is simply a given. We are not fighting enemies that will fail to use that avenue of demoralization.

There are enough women in harms way simply from the logistics of being a female in a military unit deployed to the Middle East. To compound the problem by allowing some to assume front line combat duties is just asking for the stateside repercussion that will erupt. To say nothing of the internal frictions. Maybe its me but I don't think huge numbers of effeminate men with testosterone levels of nine year old boys are enlisting in the military. I think your military squadrons have more than the baseline average of high testosterone, **** it or fight it, types. Go ahead, throw some girls in there with them, admonish them to "look, but don't touch". See where you get. I don't know why we are even arguing about this. It's a done deal is it not? May as well do what we do when some outrageous thread gets going in P&OC. Stick some microwave popcorn in the cooker and pour some Mountain Dew in a sippy cup.

H
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:35 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
All of this has more to do with putting more boots on the ground than affirmative action. All volunteer military was instituted knowing full well military expansion world wide would not be sustainable by a draft. Look out for the new boogyman to scare us all into another conflict.
Not quite. Every talking point about this decision makes a point to say that women are being denied promotions because they were prohibited from serving in combat. Yes, it IS about affirmative action.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:45 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,020,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I have no problem with this.

[welcome to the 21st century]
In the 21st century we should be civilized enough to be beyond wars,
especially ones that involve going half way around the world,
wandering around the desert, looking for thugs

With that said, as long as women aren't included in the draft.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Not quite. Every talking point about this decision makes a point to say that women are being denied promotions because they were prohibited from serving in combat. Yes, it IS about affirmative action.
I believe affirmative action is being used as an excuse to entice females to the glory of battle, to fill those potentially empty boots for future conflicts.

Do young ladies now have to register for the selective service?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies