Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 08:32 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
With the exception of the lack of Civil Rights, most people would rather it be 1953 I would imagine
Not me!! And FYI, civil/equal rights are a pretty gigantic "with the exception of." I think most people would agree they shaped the overall landscape of that era, ya know? The only 50s-era quality I might long for is the pricing, but of course that has to be adjusted for inflation & COL.

Quote:
Who cares if their are women in combat? Kind of sexy in a shoot em up kind of way
Oy vey.

I can't speak from a man's perspective, but I think anyone would care regardless of gender... but that is their choice, and I would support any family member if they chose to fight.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-23-2013 at 08:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 08:43 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Equal is equal. Oh, and rev up the selctive service to start signing up the women too. Again, equal is equal, for good or bad.
Fine with me, especially since I'm over the maximum age (@ 36) anyway. Israel has selective service requirements for both men and women, and that's not just in active "wartime" - it's ongoing for everyone. Most of them don't seem to mind, in fact the young Israelis I met there were VERY proud to be of service... different culture, though, so it probably wouldn't be as popular (for either gender) here in the US.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Your the same kind of men, that refused to let women, work or vote in early America.

And your the dumbest and least manly, of all men. You love to get into your homosexual like groups, and act as if you were Kings.

No man has the right to tell a woman, what she can, or can not do.

This is America.
No disrespect intended but your comments are repulsive and ignorant. Well, I was going to refute some of your comments, but, have decided you are dangerously insane and it would probably be best not to disturb you further.
Except I would like to point out to you how ridiculous you are. I mention that I think it is a bad idea to have women in combat and you make a lot of nasty inferences. I must insist that you cease and desist.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,856 times
I wouldn't what to diminish this achievement for American women. I, of course, congratulate them..

However, the truth is, all people, men and women, should be banned from war and war itself should be banned. I think, in the pursuit of equality (which is a noble pursuit), we lose sight of the ugliness of some our activities on this planet...like war.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Well this is the unintended consequence of liberalism.

Leon Penetta who is pushing this forward is a Democrat. With Obama's approval and Obama's approval only--this can be passed.

Women above the age of 18 will be required to register for the selective service, and many if not most will mortified at the very idea of having to do so.

While the few women in the military are cheering this on, many many more will see this as a step backwards.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:05 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,160,384 times
So do the male grunts have a choice of having women among them ?
I was on 81mm mortars which weigh each 140 lb setup plus bombs.
We are going to have 120lb women carting the base plate, plus armour plus water plus personal weapon and ammo plus rations
Why do I have my doubts ?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:13 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nobody (AFAIK) is trying to pretend they're interchangeable... as a proud woman, I actually find that concept rather offensive. But if a woman can perform the duties, pass the physical tests, etc, she should have EQUAL rights to be in combat if she chooses. Why should men only get the option of trying? And don't give me that nonsense about "men not being able to focus around women," because that is basically a Sharia/Hasidic type of attitude - in other words, incredibly misogynistic and archaic. If a man (or woman) can't control their hormones in a combat situation, they have no place being there anyway.
How is saying that men can't concentrate around women misogynistic? If anything, it is misandric, not misogynistic. How does saying that men have trouble concentrating when women around indicate a hatred of women? I don't get that at all. It's critical and stereotyping of men, not women.

The problem with saying "if women can perform the duties, pass the physical tests, etc" is that they likely won't be required to do either one. There will be a separate set of standards for women. There already are. There already are thousands of female soldiers and the standards are lower for women in the military and the training is less rigorous. The feminists who advocate that women should get equal rights in all career areas that men have, never advocate that women should meet equal standards. It's true not only of the military but of police and firefighters as well. That's going to make for a slower, weaker, less enduring soldier who is a danger to the mission and to the other soldiers in her squad.

But if women actually do live up to equal standards, then I support them being allowed to serve in the combat arms.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,367,710 times
Woman have been wounded and died in combat situations since the revolutionary war... I come from the Viet Nam era and had friends wounded and die there and they were woman. Congresswoman Tammy Duckworth a double amputee from the war in Iraq seems to think it's OK and since she's been there and done that.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
So do the male grunts have a choice of having women among them ?
I was on 81mm mortars which weigh each 140 lb setup plus bombs.
We are going to have 120lb women carting the base plate, plus armour plus water plus personal weapon and ammo plus rations
Why do I have my doubts ?
Yeah, like every male infantryman is a strapping 250lbs version of Barry Bonds.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Yeah, like every male infantryman is a strapping 250lbs version of Barry Bonds.
Somehow the soldiers who are shorter than 5' 8" are going to disagree with nzrugy's idiotic statement. Even men who are 5' 6" are supposed to not weigh more than ~140lbs with muscle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies