Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 05:47 PM

37,227 posts, read 19,219,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Yes, women want to suffer from PTS and leave limbs on the ground in foreign countries, or worse pour their lives out upon the ground?

Sure, war is so romantic.
Let's hear from the women instead of projecting our own feelings, shall we...?

Women in combat: Tammy Duckworth applauds Pentagon's decision to lift combat restrictions - chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 05:49 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well to me, women are more valuable than men. Should they be in combat? No. Have they been in combat situations? Yes. Are they just as capable as a man in combat? Of course. But still, they are a more valuable resource than a man is.
I disagree, men are more valuable than women, but we need both. Men are stronger, and built for action. Women are nurturers, but so many of them have lost that ability and that innate desire. They certainly aren't combat soldiers. Women are not men, and should stop pretending to be. They aren't much in the caregiving dept either, they are pretty much lost as a gender.

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That's with the all volunteer force. Wait until Susie next door, single mother of two, is drafted and comes back in a body bag.
As if the draft and body bags won't cut across gender.. which is one of the reasons why don't have a draft and won't have one in the future.

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I heard on the news Panetta will authorize women to serve in combat, anyway in positions they have previously not been allowed. Of course this is a terrible idea which will further destroy our military. You can't make this stuff up.
Authorized, or mandated? I've know strong women and dedicated, hard working women, but there are some roles in the military they should not be involved in, and that is the groundpounder, ditch digging, dirt eating grunts of the infantry.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:52 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
As it should. Equality is equality, that means the bad with the good. I'm a conservative and I agree with this.
I do too. Give em what they want, women will soon regret this victory. They'll have noone to blame but themselves. Manliness just got another demotion.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,512,367 times
As a service member, I'm proud of the decision the Secretary of Defense made today. In the last decade I've fought alongside numerous women who were later denied leadership positions due to this archaic and arbitrary policy. In modern warfare the line between "combat" and "non-combat" roles has become meaningless; anyone deployed to a warzone is in the line of fire and can at least return defensive fire. The idea that women can't handle the stress of combat is a myth, see for example Major Mary Hagar:
Quote:
On my third tour to Afghanistan, my crew and I were flying a Medevac mission to exfiltrate three Category A (“Urgent Surgicalâ€) American soldiers from a convoy which had been ambushed and was pinned down somewhere north of Kandahar. When we landed the first time to offload our Pararescuemen (our Special Forces troops who have medical training and are responsible for going out and getting the patients to the helicopter), the aircraft took a 5.56mm round through the co-pilot windshield which fragmented and impacted my right forearm and thigh in 15 places. On takeoff, the crew discussed returning to base. All it took was my telling them that I was alright and that I thought we should go back in (it’s every Rescue pilot’s nightmare to leave a Pararescueman or survivor on the ground while you go home). There was no overzealous chivalry, no concessions given for gender…just a crew of Americans who refused to fly out of there without everyone on board.
Women Warriors Are On the Battlefield. Eliminate Outdated, Unfair Military Combat Exclusion Policy

or Lt Col Tammy Duckworth:
Quote:
Duckworth lost her right leg near the hip and her left leg below the knee[9] from injuries sustained on November 12, 2004, when the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter she was co-piloting was hit by a rocket propelled grenade fired by Iraqi insurgents.[10] She is the first female double amputee from the Iraq war.[1] The explosion "almost completely destroyed her right arm, breaking it in three places and tearing tissue from the back side of it."[11] Duckworth received aPurple Heart on December 3 and was promoted to Major on December 21 at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, where she was presented with an Air Medal and Army Commendation Medal.[10]
Tammy Duckworth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Every soldier, sailor, airman, and marine deserves to be evaluated based on their ability to perform the mission, instead of being prejudged on antiquated stereotypes.

SJ4

Old 01-23-2013, 05:56 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
You make such a compelling argument for why this is a bad idea... I'm seriously rethinking my position.
I was trying to stimulate some deep thinking on the subject. Guess that won't work in your case!
I was in the military for three years-68,69,70. Women were not allowed in combat then and maybe for all of time until now. Now, I think the Armed Forces probably gave it a lot of good thought and now because we are in this mode in America where if we did something in the past, let's change it now, we must have equality in every little frickin' thing. It is way past the point of ridiculous. Ok, I will list my own little list of why it is a bad idea.
Men can pee just about anywhere, think about it. A women could get shot while she's lookin' for a place to squat.
Women are weaker, slower, generally less indurance.
Women will give a guy idea's. This will be bad.
Women can have babies a guy can't.
Someone is always going to be the weakest person in a group. Resentment will build when it becomes evident it is always the female.
A male soldier does not need to worry about exposing himself to a female who may take it wrong and report him and make allegations. This will be a big worry to a guy, so, he will go off in the tree's to pee and get shot.
I rest my case, for a while.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:57 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
I heard on the news Panetta will authorize women to serve in combat, anyway in positions they have previously not been allowed. Of course this is a terrible idea which will further destroy our military. You can't make this stuff up.
"Further destroy our military"

Hmmm. We have the best military in the world and it's not even close. What you said makes no sense.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:12 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
"Further destroy our military"

Hmmm. We have the best military in the world and it's not even close. What you said makes no sense.
I agree, it is the best in the world, but, that doesn't keep people from trying to destroy it.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:21 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,393,566 times
Of course some men don't want women on the front lines. When their back home telling war stories to their non combat buddies they might have to admit some woman solder saved their ass because she was a better shot then the men were.

I also don't think women want to be on the front lines because they want to get laid. Most women don't have a problem finding a sex partners no matter where they happen to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies