Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 04:46 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
For those lost in time, meet

Col. Jennie Flynn Leavitt decorated fighter pilot with 300 hours of combat flying in Iraq and Afghanistan and in 2012 Commander of the United States 4th Fighter Wing.

Col. Jeannie Flynn Leavitt, First Female Fighter Pilot, Tells Martha Raddatz How She Did It

or read about the 20 women who served in the 1st Engineer Battalion, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division who were attached to Marine and Army infantry units including the Special Forces and the 7th Ranger Regiment, when they patrolled alongside of them in places like Ramadi, Iraq.

Team Lioness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome back to the present.
Look at Col., now Congresswoman Tammy Duckworth, a decorated helicopter pilot who lost both her legs in combat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
No need to restrict membership in the chickenhawk club to Republicans. Ask BO, "Plugs" Biden, President Clinton.
Let's see Obama was 42, Biden was 61 and Clinton was 57 in 2003, as opposed to these strapping young gentle me of the GOP so what exactly is your point in reference to the question, where were the men during the Iraq war.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Didn't see either of those three beating the drums for war in any way.
"Plugs" thought the war in Iraq was a great idea. He voted for it.

BO thought an increase in troop strength in Afghanistan was a good idea. He sent them.

I don't think Bill Clinton was too opposed to sending folks to the Balkans. In fact, he has bemoaned not sending folks to Africa in 1994-1995.

Old 01-23-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
The present is America in decline. What's your point?
Then by all means feel free to go back to that kinder gentiler era of your imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Let's see Obama was 42, Biden was 61 and Clinton was 57 in 2003, as opposed to these strapping young gentle me of the GOP so what exactly is your point in reference to the question, where were the men during the Iraq war.
What were they doing when they were strapping young men? Give you a hint .... none of them was wearing a military uniform.

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Yes, women want to suffer from PTS and leave limbs on the ground in foreign countries, or worse pour their lives out upon the ground?

Sure, war is so romantic.
I'm puzzled by some of these posts. Particularly this one. Are you implying that the only reason a woman would be interested in doing something is because it's "romantic"...?

Women are good for more than romance, I assure you, and have a broader spectrum of interests.

However I'm leaning towards this not being a very good idea too, to have women in combat situations...reason being is that I think that it will make the male soldiers less effective to have women present. Many men have instincts to protect women and it could interfere with their missions. Besides which I've already heard plenty of stories from my husband (Army) about deployed women who work on the foreign bases being involved in all sorts of trouble, from sleeping with everyone to officers facing adultery charges, to allegations of a prostitution ring...and then there are the military training "schools" where all kinds of sexual shenanigans are taking place. A woman might have noble things on her mind when she enlists, but it does seem that the lowest common denominator, and nature taking its course, is rather how the military operates in a day to day fashion.

As for me, I'm glad we don't even live on post!

Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
What's troubling is that liberals consider a woman getting shot in the head or legs blown off like their male counterparts being a form of "progress."

Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Girls will be boys and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Yes, women want to suffer from PTS and leave limbs on the ground in foreign countries, or worse pour their lives out upon the ground?

Sure, war is so romantic.
And men want that any more? Women don't all care about being "romantic," you know... is this 1953 or 2013, again?

Old 01-23-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:

No need for them to travel to foreign lands to do that ...... we just had 6 of them do that on December 14 about 20 minutes from my house.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
What were they doing when they were strapping young men? Give you a hint .... none of them was wearing a military uniform.
You are right, in 2003 they weren't and neither were those GOP chicken hawks.

But enough of this diversion, you tried to make your point and I've made mine.

We're done here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies