Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:08 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times

Advertisements

Actually, knowing that any person around me could be carrying a gun doesn't make me feel safe. I find it creepy, paranoid & unnecessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 01:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Sorry Charlie, I do not feel safer with an armed man nearby, quite the opposite. If they are not a uniformed professional, I think they are fearful people, possibly unbalanced.
That is an irrational reaction.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM

23,847 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Sorry Charlie, I do not feel safer with an armed man nearby, quite the opposite. If they are not a uniformed professional, I think they are fearful people, possibly unbalanced.
Why?

Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
I guess the idea of one having the ability to defend themselves is a foreign concept to some. I mean, after all criminals are easy to be reasoned with.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Most cops cant shoot for sh*#t, yet you feel safer with them being armed?

LOL
It's not about the skill of operating the firearm, it's about the motive(s) and fitness of the brain and heart. At least cops, military and security guards are paid to do a job and everyone understands their roles.

We don't need random guys carrying guns because, as Wayne LaPierre said, "only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun." But this quote is plainly naive for many reasons. [give a good guy with a gun too much to drink and you might have a bad guy; give a good guy with a gun a really bad day at work, or arugument with this wife, and he might become a bad guy... etc. etc. like that]

PS- No one in Washington wants to take all of your guns.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
With over 8 million active concealed carry licences in the U.S. do you think that you never are around guns? As you navigate your daily life, when you are at the grocery store, when you go to K-mart, while you are waiting to get your haircut, when you are at your kids soccer game, chances are that often you are in close proximity to a handgun. I often think when I look at people, which ones would have a problem with me sitting 4ft from them if they new I was carrying, and which ones would feel safer knowing there is an armed and trained person near them.
My point is this ... this all happens everyday, without incident. We are bound by law to keep it concealed and never pull it out unless an aggravated felony is occuring to us, or those around us.
We have chosen to make personal safety our responsibility.
We are your friends.

I would feel safer if there were no guns at all around me period. But thats not going to happen.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM

490 posts, read 650,188 times
Yes and no. The fact that I know some people who carry guns scares the poop out of me because I know just how crazy some of them are. They WANT a bad guy situation to arise so they can show how "expert" they are with the weapon. Accidents waiting to happen.

A TRULY responsible, sensible, mature, well meaning person with a concealed gun would not bother as much.

I am very much behind any legislation that would ban semi automatic rifles because like many others I just don't see the need for them.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Most cops cant shoot for sh*#t, yet you feel safer with them being armed?

LOL

And I would not want to be around a cop hating gun owner for sure..lol

Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM

490 posts, read 650,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I guess the idea of one having the ability to defend themselves is a foreign concept to some. I mean, after all criminals are easy to be reasoned with.
I'm 50 years old and I have never been put in a situation where a gun was needed. And I live in the heart of a major city.

The ultimate fantasy is that nobody has guns.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM

1,137 posts, read 971,643 times
Quote:
It's not about the skill of operating the firearm, it's about the motive(s) and fitness of the brain and heart. At least cops, military and security guards are paid to do a job and everyone understands their roles.

We don't need random guys carrying guns because, as Wayne LaPierre said, "only a good guy with a gun can stop a bad guy with a gun." But this quote is plainly naive for many reasons. [give a good guy with a gun too much to drink and you might have a bad guy; give a good guy with a gun a really bad day at work, or arugument with this wife, and he might become a bad guy... etc. etc. like that]

PS- No one in Washington wants to take all of your guns.
If I can prove you wrong, will you stop posting on these boards forever?

If I can find a quote from a single politician advocating taking all guns, either by confiscation or voluntarily submitting them, will you delete your account and go be stupid somewhere else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies