Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 08:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This opens the door to penalizing any of us without perfect genetics, BMI or other ailments I guess.
Well I think they are going to have to start charging more for certain conditions.
Remember Obamacare removes the pre-existing conditions from obtaining health insurance and limits what a person's out of pocket expenses are.

Either that or the Fed is going to have to find some new tax to cover the costs.

The high risk pool has been in operation for over 2 years now and it's cost is running twice the national average for high risk coverage. Why is the government run insurance costing twice as much as private coverage ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Actually poor people are net benefiters of the system in total.

Only the ones who live long enough to get back everything they paid into the system. I do not expect to be so fortunate.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well I think they are going to have to start charging more for certain conditions.
Remember Obamacare removes the pre-existing conditions from obtaining health insurance and limits what a person's out of pocket expenses are.

Either that or the Fed is going to have to find some new tax to cover the costs.

The high risk pool has been in operation for over 2 years now and it's cost is running twice the national average for high risk coverage. Why is the government run insurance costing twice as much as private coverage ?
I don't know a lot about "Obamacare" to be honest. All I know is I used to have Blue Cross/Blue Shield and 20 years ago I had zero deductible, everything paid 100% with I think a $5.00 deductible on prescriptions. Look at how everything has changed. Much of it is the aging population and fewer payers and it's also the illegal immigrants who don't go to the doctor until it's convenient for them and they show up at the emergency room on Sunday and it costs the taxpayers $400 minimum for them to be diagnosed with strep throat when if they just had a health policy it would be less than half of that. I think there are good reasons for there to be a nationalized health system, but we have to get all the greed and opportunists out of the system.

Regarding smokers, I think it's sad the way we exploit them financially. We allow this legal industry to advertise and hook new users and then we tax them to death for their addiction.

If they all quit imagine the taxes the rest of us would have to make up for? I guess the next victims will be guys like me who like to buy a 6 pack of beer for Friday night. I suppose the tax will double the price.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I don't see anything wrong with charging more for smokers - and overweight people - and people who drink to excess for that matter. I also think that if more people are going to be covered by government sponsored programs, we need a surcharge or higher tax on junk food, colas, alcohol, etc. Let's be consistent.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Only the ones who live long enough to get back everything they paid into the system. I do not expect to be so fortunate.
I believe the ratio is 3/1 in favor of a higher medicare payout than what you contributed.
General revenues subsidized the cost of Medicare by 25% from the start. That subsidy is now 40% and is projected to grow to 50% by the end of this decade.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't see anything wrong with charging more for smokers - and overweight people - and people who drink to excess for that matter. I also think that if more people are going to be covered by government sponsored programs, we need a surcharge or higher tax on junk food, colas, alcohol, etc. Let's be consistent.
Obamacare is not charging more for anyone other than smokers.
And this goes for people on private insurance, not just government subsidized insurance through the pools. What the government did was give the green light to insurance companies to charge up to 50% more in premiums.

Obamacare is a done deal, not a proposal. There is no "surcharge" for other vices.
And you'll continue paying for all those smokers that are on medicaid.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Scumbag government: subsidizes tobacco farmers, runs anti-smoking ads and taxes smokers

Old 01-28-2013, 08:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Didn't see this covered in a search of this forum, so I'll assume it is a new topic.

Millions of smokers could be priced out of health insurance because of tobacco penalties in President Obama’s health-care law, according to experts who are just now teasing out the potential impact of a little-noted provision in the massive legislation.

The Affordable Care Act allows health insurers to charge smokers buying individual policies up to 50 percent higher premiums starting Jan. 1, 2014.

For a 55-year-old smoker, the penalty could reach nearly $4,250 annually. A 60-year-old could wind up paying nearly $5,100 on top of premiums.

Obamacare allows steep surcharge for smokers | TribLIVE
Allows? So, it is business friendly after all.

Good incentive to quit smoking. It will add 10 years to your life, and put a lot of money in your pocket.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:54 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Scumbag government: subsidizes tobacco farmers, runs anti-smoking ads and taxes smokers
It appears the best way to strike back is to quit. Zero tax revenue from anyone that quits.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:27 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Default Seniors on Medicare too?

People who are 65+ who have been smoking for 40+ years? Well, they must DEAD already, have lung cancer already, OR will be dying sooner rather than later of SOMETHING.

As another poster said, a 71 who quits might live 3 months longer!!!!!!! At what age does it reach the point when it becomes just plain silly to penalize someone for smoking? If they have reached their 70s, or 80s (impossible?), leave them ALONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies