Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think its blundingly obvious that nobody who can a make a difference cares about this. All they will do is use it to help bam guns which never would have stopped this.

It would make more sence to impose a sentence that will deter these criminals but they wont.

It would make more sense to create sport and rec programs to give youth an outlet but they wont.

It would make more sense if they would teach the poor youth trades so they can focus their energy but they wont.

The list goes on and on and on about actual programs they can do to help with the issue instead of knee jerk reactions. But banning guns makes them puff their chest while making them feel good. Meanwhile some 8yr old is being jumped into a gang.

They flat out just dont care about poor black and hispanics in the area. If they did they would do something about it imho

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Sure. Only problem is that the same people who are gun-crazy also tend to be rather in favor of cutting any and all funding for such undertakings... You know, the crowd that cries that we ought to tackle mental illness in order to reduce gun violence but simultaneously cries "not with my money." In other words, your post is essentially spot on - whatever is suggested to approach this problem tends to be nothing but empty words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
Also where is the push for converting all guns with smart gun technology. Make it so only the gun owner can cause the weapon to work.
Where is the push for making men take responsibility for the children they father and then abandon. That's what causes gangs. It's not about guns.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:26 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Now this is funny... Gun control nuts trying to marginalize the amount of GUN MURDERS in a city where guns are banned!!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think its blundingly obvious that nobody who can a make a difference cares about this. All they will do is use it to help bam guns which never would have stopped this.

It would make more sence to impose a sentence that will deter these criminals but they wont.

It would make more sense to create sport and rec programs to give youth an outlet but they wont.

It would make more sense if they would teach the poor youth trades so they can focus their energy but they wont.

The list goes on and on and on about actual programs they can do to help with the issue instead of knee jerk reactions. But banning guns makes them puff their chest while making them feel good. Meanwhile some 8yr old is being jumped into a gang.

They flat out just dont care about poor black and hispanics in the area. If they did they would do something about it imho

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
Hold on a second they care about em every four years when their vote is needed.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Now this is funny... Gun control nuts trying to marginalize the amount of GUN MURDERS in a city where guns are banned!!
As long as they feel like they are making sense I guess that is all that matters to em.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:23 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,749 times
Un ******* believable that some people want to blame Obama for this. I heard about this outside of this forum and was deeply saddened. That's it! I did not try to make it about control or the 2nd amendment. I saw a child, a girl and thought about who she could have been and how it was robbed from her and her family and hoped that justice is served! Seriously, some of you have absolutely no respect for human life, no empathy, no compassion, no love for your fellow human beings or God's children but you probably sit in church every Sunday thinking that are favored, one of the chosen ones and know better than everyone else. Seriously advocating more guns or more gun control isn't going to solve this. The root of this has to do with the way people raise their children, poverty, ignorance and hoplessness. Does anyone honestly believe that if this girl had a gun on her while she was sitting at the park minding her own business, just having a good time with her friends and unaware that someone was going to open fire, her life would have been saved?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:36 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Un ******* believable that some people want to blame Obama for this. I heard about this outside of this forum and was deeply saddened. That's it! I did not try to make it about control or the 2nd amendment. I saw a child, a girl and thought about who she could have been and how it was robbed from her and her family and hoped that justice is served! Seriously, some of you have absolutely no respect for human life, no empathy, no compassion, no love for your fellow human beings or God's children but you probably sit in church every Sunday thinking that are favored, one of the chosen ones and know better than everyone else. Seriously advocating more guns or more gun control isn't going to solve this. The root of this has to do with the way people raise their children, poverty, ignorance and hoplessness. Does anyone honestly believe that if this girl had a gun on her while she was sitting at the park minding her own business, just having a good time with her friends and unaware that someone was going to open fire, her life would have been saved?
I have been trying to say this all day. Hopelessness, poor education, and bad parenting are a big part of this. Poverty makes it even worse. You have one side advocating gun control. And then you have another side blaming President Obama for this. I've even been on a thread where someone suggesting getting rid of Blacks. Someone else on another thread suggested disarming the Black population.

And there are quite a few hypocrits out there. This is not about gun control. This is about bigger problems,and I think there are people who would rather take a simplistic approach to the situation rather than look at the underlying problems and try to solve them. Why? Solving the underlying problems takes more hard work, compassion, and changes than what I've seen on this forum. We need to address why people join gangs. We need to address bad parenting, bad schools, lack of jobs, relative lack of business ownership, and end this drug war. Changing some cultural aspects are needed as well. There is no one solution because there are alot of issues that need to be looked at. Solutions are needed to take the communities back.

We spend more money on prisons than we do education. We have no problem putting people in prison. This isn't to say that there aren't people who don't deserve it. Believe me, I am the first to say "you do the crime, you do the time". That being said, it seems like we would rather imprison people than educate them.

The President has nothing to do with the crime rate in places like Chicago,Detroit,DC, and other cities. High murder rates are nothing new to Chicago, Detroit, or DC. It was very bad in the 1980s, under the Reagan administration, when gun laws were very strict in some major cities. Reagan also supported gun control. I don't see anyone bashing Reagan.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Where is the push for making men take responsibility for the children they father and then abandon. That's what causes gangs. It's not about guns.
I've mentioned that too. Parenting is a big issue as well. Read some of my posts.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
But what has Obama ever done to address the problems of the inner cities and unemployed Americans?

The only future for the inner city youth is 1. prison, 2. death, 3. a job. Obama is so busy promising great jobs and an American dream for foreigners coming here illegally but he's offering nothing at all for solutions to the problems of Americans at risk. Obama is simply ignoring all this -- and he knows full well that gun laws won't solve a thing, just like drug laws don't limit the tons of drugs being brought over the border on a daily basis.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Horrible tragedy.

And I agree, no additional measures are going to cure what can only be characterized as a disease.
Doesn't matter how many laws a particular city puts in place if, as was noted in the second post, guns can "walk" their way all around the country with abandon.
If availability of guns is the problem why does Boise have a far lower murder and crime rate than Chicago? The problem is the people in places like Chicago, not guns. Just because they act like animals doesn't mean the rights of people thousands of miles away should be infringed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies